Author Topic: 10 Things That We Can Learn About Shortages And Preparation  (Read 3547 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I had to truncate the title because it wouldn't all fit.  What it is exactly is . . .

10 Things That We Can Learn About Shortages And Preparation From The Economic Collapse In Greece

Michael Snyder
 June 9th, 2012
Economic Collapse Blog

Comments (191)

Read by 10,067 people

When the economy of a nation collapses, almost everything changes.  Unfortunately, most people have never been through anything like that, so it can be difficult to know how to prepare.  For those that are busy preparing for the coming global financial collapse, there is a lot to be learned from the economic depression that is happening right now in Greece.  Essentially, what Greece is experiencing is a low level economic collapse.  Unemployment is absolutely rampant and poverty is rapidly spreading, but the good news for Greece is that the global financial system is still operating somewhat normally and they are getting some financial assistance from the outside.  Things in Greece could be a whole lot worse, and they will probably get a whole lot worse before it is all said and done.  But already things have gotten bad enough in Greece that it gives us an idea of what a full-blown economic collapse in the 21st century may look like.  There are reports of food and medicine shortages in Greece, crime and suicides are on the rise and people have been rapidly pulling their money out of the banks.  Hopefully this article will give you some ideas that you can use as you prepare for the economic chaos that will soon be unfolding all over the globe.

The following are 10 things that we can learn about shortages and preparation from the economic collapse in Greece….

#1 Food Shortages Can Actually Happen

Most people assume that they will always be able to run out to their local supermarket or to Wal-Mart and get all of the supplies they need.

Unfortunately, that is a false assumption.  The truth is that our food distribution system is extremely vulnerable.

In Greece, many people are starting to totally run out of food.  Even some government institutions (such as prisons) are now reporting food shortages.  The following was originally from a Greek news source….

Naturally, you have to go to the link to read the rest.  http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/10-things-that-we-can-learn-about-shortages-and-preparation-from-the-economic-collapse-in-greece_06092012

We live in 'interesting times,' indeed.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: 10 Things That We Can Learn About Shortages And Preparation
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
All things which should be immediately apparent really.

If you've ever lived somewhere that got smote by a decent hurricane you'll know first hand about #1 through #6.

Night before the storm - the supermarkets are devoid of anything but creamed corn and pet food, it'll be a week or more once the roads reopen before the shelves are back to normal conditions. This would be vastly multiplied if the goods aren't being produced or transported as opposed to sitting on trucks and trains on the road. Same applies to medications - in particular medications that have short shelf lives of medications that places can't store much of due to DEA restrictions.

The power goes down because stuff fails, can't get fuel or is taken out and it takes in some cases weeks to repair the lines and replace busted hardware. Longer still if the people who do that work cannot or will not - and longer again if they can't get the replacement equipment or support equipment on site to rectify the situation.

Water goes down with power - all the infrastructure that makes water safe to drink and then distributes it to the homes depend on electricity. Intakes get clogged , pipes burst and infrastructure can be damaged by environment or civil unrest.

No power means no communications - back to cash or barter. Your e-money is worth exactly the same as what it is printed on then and your cash money is not all that far behind. Gold and Silver ? Not to buy a cart full of groceries unless you can turn those $1.5K ounce coins into something smaller or don't mind losing out on the transaction rather heavily. Booze and food however make for great commodities to trade as they're easily quantified and valued by people.

The government coming to save you isn't something you can reliably depend on - for everything from vital infrastructure to law enforcement. They're just in large part people like the rest of us - and will be dealing with their own dramas before ours.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »
The only thing I don't have in my stash is liquor. I think that would be better than gold in a situation like that.
Note to self, get a bunch!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:27:03 AM »
The only thing I don't have in my stash is liquor. I think that would be better than gold in a situation like that.
which brings to mind the wisdom of overstocking up on something. Barter could save your life.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »

Learn to make the stuff.

Start with brewing beer / wine / etc.

Then work onto spirits and fortified wines / etc.

There's a few people about here that can help you out with the first- I can give you a pretty good run down on how to do the second.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
Learn to make the stuff.

Start with brewing beer / wine / etc.

Then work onto spirits and fortified wines / etc.

There's a few people about here that can help you out with the first- I can give you a pretty good run down on how to do the second.

Makeup, lots and lots of the cheap stuff to barter with,  Pocket knives, a few dozen all bought at the dollar store.

Toilet paper, bar soap, those small bottles of tooth paste and tooth brushes for travelers in the bins at the dollar store. 

Most stuff can be bought at the dollar stores and traded for something you need.

Got a small apartment ?? Head for Goodwill and plunk down $15.00, for an old steamer trunk. Throw out the coffee table and fill the trunk up and use in place of the useless coffee table.   In an evacuation time the trunk can be thrown in the car trunk or back seat of a car.    May be a good idea to head for Wallmart and buy those wheels to install under it, until you need to run those wheels will be handy when you vaccum the floor.

Forget all the documents you may need, fill the bottom of the trunk with the family photo's, these one can never get back---documents yes but photo's of family, never.

All the food one stores is good only if you stay in one place.   If you want to barter booze then I advise you do as the kids did in the 1980's.   Make up a bunch of vaccum seal bags big enough to hold 2 shots of hard liquor and seal it.  The bags will be around 2 inches wide and 4-5 inches tall.   One can carry a half dozen in each boot, pocket or hell wrap them around your body.    No metal detector will pick the bags up and each can be sold for  for what ever the asking price is.