Author Topic: Speculation...How Bad will it get in Greece and Spain? SHTF bad?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Money is flying out of those states, I read at Free Republic a blog where Electric companies in Greece don't have the cash to buy the coal and oil to keep going...so rationing has already begun.

How likely is a total collapse of the govts, and what will the ripple effect do to Europe or even here?

edit to add the link to the blog
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/despair-as-collapse-accelerates-my-shotgun-is-full-and-well-equipped-i-hope-i-dont-need-to-use-it_06062012
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:33:50 AM by Mr Mannn »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Speculation...How Bad will it get in Greece and Spain? SHTF bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Probably pretty bad, all the dirty smelly hippies will want to come here.   :argh:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
In about three weeks time, my bosses boss who is a bigtime obama supporter is headed on a cruise, to the Med.  Is it wrong of me to giggle inside?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
I don't see widespread anarchy and a "collapse of society" happening from the current Eurozone woes. I do however see the dissolution of the EU as a result.

Which shouldn't really come as any big surprise given the history of that part of the world.

The bigger problem is as I've said before - onflow effects into the global economy causing the current Chinese economic slowdown to become a recession and due to the interdependence of nations these days that is likely to be the nudge that sends the rest of us into the sewer.

The global financial crises was never resolved - It was merely postponed with an idiotic band-aid fix. The cash splash was akin to giving money to a drunk - none of the behaviour that caused the problem was curtailed and by supporting that behaviour we've just made what's coming worse.

Hard times ahead for sure - but not so hard as to be a "SHTF" situation. IMO anyway.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
The emergence of fairly widespread radical faction violence, perhaps even leading to attempts at revolution or coups are possible in either Greece or Spain, but moreso if they leave the Euro than if they stay in it, I think (Unless that very question becomes the bone of factional contention).  Widespread violence is pretty likely if their social benefit programs break completely.  Both countries have a track record of extremely violent Communist and Falangist/Fascist/Nationalist terrorism and fairly large-scale armed violence still in living memory.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
Europe doesn't have the right to talk about anything. The best thing they can do is keep their mouths shut, as they won't be around very much longer anyhow.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Well, here's someone who posts regularly on SHTF Plan describing what he's seeing.

Despair As Collapse Accelerates: “My Shotgun is Full and Well Equipped. I Hope I Don’t Need to Use It.”

Mac Slavo
 June 6th, 2012
SHTFplan.com

Comments (319)

Read by 23,473 people

Our long time friend and regular contributor Manos has been keeping us abreast of the day-to-day goings on in Greece for the better part of  three years. Suffice it to say, it’s getting worse with very little hope of resolution to the economic and political woes facing the country, as well as its European neighbors.

The following is a first person perspective of the realities on the ground, and what it looks like in the midst of a truly frightening economic collapse that threatens to not only wipe out the financial wealth and life savings of an entire nation, but may potentially lead to a breakdown in the rule of law and civil war between extreme political factions trying to fill the vacuum of power.

This is real, it’s happening right now, and it’s coming to America in due time.

I'm going to end the quote there, because the next two paragraphs--of the email from Manos--are just introductory stuff.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/despair-as-collapse-accelerates-my-shotgun-is-full-and-well-equipped-i-hope-i-dont-need-to-use-it_06062012

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 05:50:06 AM »

Missed the link.  Oh well!  I do know of someone on the Shotgun World boards, from Greece, who haas said the same thing--his shotgun is loaded and ready.  Not sure if it's the same guy.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.