Author Topic: It took 8020 games!  (Read 2967 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
It took 8020 games!
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Johan Santana throws the first no-hitter in New York Mets history!  

When I get a link, I'll post it.

ETA:  No link yet, but the third-base ump blew a foul call badly on a Carlos Beltran at-bat in the sixth inning.  That ball threw chalk, and it was fair . . . yet the third-base ump called it "foul."  He was looking at it at the time.  Then, in the seventh, Mike Baxter ran down a fly in left, and hit the wall hard.  He hung onto the ball, and had to leave the game with a shoulder contusion.

ETA, again . . . http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_01_slnmlb_nynmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=nym  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:16:05 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: It took 8020 games!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
Yankee fan here but congrats to Santana and the Mets!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Meet the Mets
Meet the Mets
Step right up and greet the Mets !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: It took 8020 games!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
And now Ralphie has to fix his trivia database...now only one major league team has NOT tossed a no-hitter.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BlueStateSaint

Re: Re: It took 8020 games!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »
And now Ralphie has to fix his trivia database...now only one major league team has NOT tossed a no-hitter.

Yup . . . they've never had a hitter hit for the cycle, either (the same team that has never had a no-hitter).

Another take: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/santana_delivers_the_amazin_A5ZmBRUWPX0uwo62UUdnpK
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:15:04 AM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
Because I can't edit the above posts, I have to post a new one . . . Even Glenn Beck's The Blaze has it--as a front-page story!

Johan Santana Throws First No-Hitter in Mets’ History

Posted on June 2, 2012 at 9:15am by Madeleine Morgenstern

NEW YORK (AP) — Johan Santana was past 130 pitches and fans at Citi Field were high-fiving with every out, hoping this was finally the night the New York Mets had waited for.

All those famous arms – Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine – and not a single no-hitter in more than 50 years of baseball.

Not until Santana finished the job Friday night.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner pitched the first no-hitter in team history, aided by an umpire’s mistake and an outstanding catch during an 8-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.

Watch Santana face the final batter:

You have to go to the link to see the SNY feed.  Synopsis:  Santana threw three straight balls, then a called strike, a foul about ten-twelve feet foul up the third-base line, then a swinging strike on a changeup.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/johan-santana-pitches-first-no-hitter-in-mets-history/

Chase her.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
That is the second one this season. That is great. Hopefully there are more to come.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
That is the second one this season. That is great. Hopefully there are more to come.

Actually, the third.  Former Met Phil Humber threw a perfect game on April 21 (IIRC) for the White Sox (who are managed by another former Met, Robin Ventura), and Jered Weaver threw a no-hitter for the Angels on May 2 (again, IIRC).

Chase her.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »
Actually, the third.  Former Met Phil Humber threw a perfect game on April 21 (IIRC) for the White Sox (who are managed by another former Met, Robin Ventura), and Jered Weaver threw a no-hitter for the Angels on May 2 (again, IIRC).

Yep, I just looked and there are three this year. I didn't know about the one on April 21st. Either way, I hope to see more of them.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:07:45 PM »
Yep, I just looked and there are three this year. I didn't know about the one on April 21st. Either way, I hope to see more of them.

I love watching a well pitched game. I can even admire one if it's against my Braves...although I hate to admit it :)
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
I love watching a well pitched game. I can even admire one if it's against my Braves...although I hate to admit it :)

Yeah, me too. Even if it is against my Bucs and Red Sox. :)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »
Actually, the third.  Former Met Phil Humber threw a perfect game on April 21 (IIRC) for the White Sox (who are managed by another former Met, Robin Ventura), and
Jered Weaver threw a no-hitter for the Angels on May 2
(again, IIRC).

Which made me happy when I looked at the standings in my fantasy league the next day.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »
Yesterday's starter for the Mets, R. A. Dickey (knuckleballer supreme), said on Friday night, "I don't want to start tomorrow--how do you follow that?"  Well, Dickey went out and threw a complete-game shutout of his own yesterday, 5-0.  (Dickey even had an RBI.)  Back-to-back complete-game shutouts.  Jon Niese goes tonight, against Jake Westbrook, on ESPN.

Back to Dickey's shutout--he gave up seven hits, had nine strikeouts, and walked zero.  Over his last three starts (all "quality" starts), he's pitched 23.1 innings, given up 15 hits, one earned run, walked one, and struck out thirty.  Oh--he's 37 years old!!!

Chase her.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »
Yesterday's starter for the Mets, R. A. Dickey (knuckleballer supreme), said on Friday night, "I don't want to start tomorrow--how do you follow that?"  Well, Dickey went out and threw a complete-game shutout of his own yesterday, 5-0.  (Dickey even had an RBI.)  Back-to-back complete-game shutouts.  Jon Niese goes tonight, against Jake Westbrook, on ESPN.

Back to Dickey's shutout--he gave up seven hits, had nine strikeouts, and walked zero.  Over his last three starts (all "quality" starts), he's pitched 23.1 innings, given up 15 hits, one earned run, walked one, and struck out thirty.  Oh--he's 37 years old!!!
What's his ERA ? And no one was more of a knuckleballer supreme than Phil Niekro aka "Knucksie".
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »
What's his ERA ? And no one was more of a knuckleballer supreme than Phil Niekro aka "Knucksie".

Right now, Dickey's ERA is 2.68.

Chase her.