Author Topic: Internet unavailability for the CC website  (Read 2071 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Internet unavailability for the CC website
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »
The last time the site was unavailable I traced it to a router in the Miami area, I'm going to make an assumption.

The host server for CC is in the Miami area, Infolinks IP space I think.

The router that is having trouble is also in the Miami area so the assumption is the final connection to that data center does not have a redundant connection.

That connection seems to have issues about once a week.

I'd like to learn more about what this infrastructure looks like if anybody is game.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Internet unavailability for the CC website
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
For what it's worth I once had to deal with an issue where we had all of our circuits on a single Cisco router.

Due to the router connections being over utilized they had to move a couple of our circuits from a Cisco router over to a Juniper router.

As it turned out, over a longer period, it didn't work out.

They wound up having to move all of our circuits back to the same Cisco router and bumping some other folks off.

The problem for us (even though both the providers engineers and us never really understood the problem) seemed to revolve around VPN encapsulation. Once all the circuits were on the same router the problem was mitigated (although we still had to set MTU statically on individual workstations).

The fact of the matter is that providers use encapsulation other then VPN to route traffic (one example would be GRE) which is extremely useful but is still what it is, it adds to the packet size and thus has problems traversing (misconfigured interfaces?).

Actually a simple packet grabber (wireshark) might go a long way to see what is going on, but obviously that would have to be inside the host network, inside the problem to see any malformed packets.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:10:21 PM by EagleKeeper »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu