Author Topic: Buyer Beware - GM Vehicles Using Dex-Cool  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

Buyer Beware - GM Vehicles Using Dex-Cool
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
How many know that GM settled a class action lawsuit over Dex-Cool coolant?

If you own or know someone who owns a GM vehicle with a 3.1L, 3.4L, or 3.8L engine and you/they have to use Dex-Cool, be prepared for a very pricey repair bill when the intake manifold gasket commits suicide on you.

I USED TO HAVE a 2002 Chevy Impala with a 3.4L engine.  During a 12 month period I had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced twice and wound up forking over a total of $ 1500.  The second time it happened it mucked up the valve lifters to the point where the mechanic had to use engine flush through the crankcase three times to ensure the crud was completely removed. 

When it began showing sign of committing suicide for a third time I gave up and got rid of it - let someone else waste their money!
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Buyer Beware - GM Vehicles Using Dex-Cool
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »
I heard about the problem with Dex-Cool the other week.  I don't own a GM product, so I hadn't been paying attention.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
I upsold alot of coolant flushes to include the new Dex Cool in the late 90's.......

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
I diesel mechanic I work with told me that he ran coolant flush through his Dex-Cool required vehicle about four times and put the green stuff in and he hasn't had a bit of trouble with his coolant system.

Why GM is still pushing Dex-Cool after getting slammed by the court settlement is beyond me.

What should bother all GM owners is that they have yet to issue a recall on those vehicles and offer to repair them for free.

I'll buy a YUGO before I buy another GM product.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
The only new GM product I've even thought about buying is the Cobalt SS or the Solstice.  The Solstice is too damn small for me.  I went with a Kia Spectra over the Cobalt.  The Caramo doesn't interest me... I think I'd rather have a new Charger.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
The only new GM product I've even thought about buying is the Cobalt SS or the Solstice.  The Solstice is too damn small for me.  I went with a Kia Spectra over the Cobalt.  The Caramo doesn't interest me... I think I'd rather have a new Charger.

A charger would be awesome...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
Check this out  :naughty:

[youtube=425,350]VWXCGmGarxw[/youtube]

The '09 is supposed to come with a manual.  The '08s only come with autos.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »

Nice looking car and a coupe to boot. However, never buy a first year model of any car. 

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »

Very nice car...alot better then the Intrepid.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »
This beauty stickers at over $40k and the dealers will mark them up another several thousand. If you have that gotta to have it feeling, be prepared to fork over close to 50 big ones. 

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »
This beauty stickers at over $40k and the dealers will mark them up another several thousand. If you have that gotta to have it feeling, be prepared to fork over close to 50 big ones. 

Thats about like the Dodge Viper.

When they first came out, the local dodge dealer had one on his showroom floor with a sticker for $ 60,000 but they weren't selling them at that price.  They were taking BIDS for them and the one they had on the showroom floor was up to $ 90,000 already.  Never did hear what the final price was or whom bought it.

Does dodge still make them?  I haven't seen one in quite a while.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »

Thats about like the Dodge Viper.

When they first came out, the local dodge dealer had one on his showroom floor with a sticker for $ 60,000 but they weren't selling them at that price.  They were taking BIDS for them and the one they had on the showroom floor was up to $ 90,000 already.  Never did hear what the final price was or whom bought it.

Does dodge still make them?  I haven't seen one in quite a while.

Dodge still makes the Viper. I checked out the new Challenger on Ebay; they are going for 50 to 60 thous.