Author Topic: DUmmies Puzzled By The Mountain State  (Read 1771 times)

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: DUmmies Puzzled By The Mountain State
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »
I started driving the WVTP back in 1982, when it was mostly 2-lane and construction zones.  It was "completed" in 1988 I think, back when Arch Moore was governor.  

You must be speaking of the left handed turn at the bottom of the hill at Camp Creek, coming down off Flat Top.  After 3 miles of a 5% downhill grade, not many loaded trucks had brakes left for that turn.  I even saw the rear wheels on a trailer catch fire coming off that hill.  Sandstone Mountain on I-64 is worse, it's a 7% grade.  Slow and easy is the rule of the day on that one, UP and DOWN.

You ain't kidding about the out of state flatlanders!  The ones from Ohio and North Carolina were the worst.  I drove a P-30 Chevy/Grummon step-van, and the funniest thing was on what few straight stretches there are on the Turnpike, these clowns would pass you like you were backing up, UNTIL you got to the next corner, then all brake lights as you went back by them, maintaining a constant 65 the whole time.  

4th of July weeks were crazy.  Every other car you passed or passed you southbound was from Ohio.  One of our drivers actually wrote in the dust on the back of his truck:  "Will the last person leaving Ohio, please turn out the lights."  They would also be the ones trying to merge in front of you whenever they "suddenly" came up on an "orange barrel zone", the one that was advertised by the flashing traffic sign 3 miles back!

The worst time I ever had was trying to get home from Huntington in a snowstorm.  A normal 3 hour drive took 6 1/2 hours, with 5 of it spent on the Turnpike, dodging jackknifed tractor trailers and wondering where in the hell the snow plows were.  

The scariest time was driving back one winter night when it was 15 below zero, passing tractor trailers that had stalled because their diesel fuel had turned to jell, and you were praying you gasoline engined truck would make it home because you didn't pack your sub zero sleeping bag.

I knew the Turnpike so well, this is what happened when I was pulled over by a female deputy just south of the Pax toll booth in Fayette County.  I noticed the deputy was wearing a Raleigh County uniform, and when she accused me speeding because I was "passing everything on the road", and that she "was going 80 when I passed her", I informed her I was only going 63 (in a 60), that my truck was governed to do a max of 70 (I lied, no governor), the only things I passed since the toll booth were 4 trucks and her, and she should have known she was NOT doing 80 because traffic was backing up behind her.  When she threatened me with a ticket, I said, "Fine, go ahead.  I like to hear how you explain to the judge why a Raleigh County deputy is writing speeding tickets in Fayette County."  When she practically screamed at me that we were in Raleigh County, I turned my headlights on and said, "No, not quite."  200 yards down the road was the green sign that read "Entering Raleigh County".    

She threw my license and registration at me and told me to slow it down anyway, and STORMED back to her car.  I waited until she had left before I pulled back onto the road.   :lmao:

I did get a ticket for 21 in a 10, in the southernmost point in Kanawah County, a pimple on the ass of the state in a town call Handley, just north of Montgomery.  Magistrate that heard the case was not only the town's OTHER police officer, but on the town council as well.  Sounds like something you read in a book about trials in backwater redneck towns.  Went about the same way, too

LOL!!!  I got a state cop got me one time on the TP. Pulled me over, said I was going  85. Now this is in a 5 speed 4 door 83 honda civic. It would actually do it going downhill but it was up there on the tach. One time I actually got it up to 95 going down sandstone, but it was waaaay up there on the tach so I slowed it down. Anyway he said I was going 85. I laughed my ass off. He didn't take too kindly to that. Said he'd run me in. I told him go ahead. I think the speedometer only went to 110, maybe 120.  Anyway I showed up at the court house... it was in Fayetteville or maybe Beckly, can't remember now, and told the judge that if he could get that car to go 85, I'd gladly pay the fine.

Case dismissed.

That excuse got me out of a lot of tickets.  :cheersmate:

Handley is a speed trap like most of those towns up around Montgomery way. A girl friend of mine, years ago, lived down here and commuted to Tech and got nailed in one of those backwater towns for going 35 in a 25 zone down a hill. The only thing they was worried about was the money. They even waived the points to the DMV. They wanted the money. I told her she could appeal to the circuit court, that little ploy got me out of a lot of tickets too, but she went ahead and paid it cause she drove it every day. Gotta do what ya gotta do to live with the local law when you frequent those parts. It helps if you grew up here and know how to deal with it.

That's life in rural West by God Virginia. Gotta love it.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
That's when it was being rebuilt to  interstate highway standards.

I haven't googled, but it is old, old, old, back to the 30s or 40s. It was two- and three-lane for all 88 miles.

I remember when I was a little kid hearing old folks marvel about the terrain being so rugged that it cost a million dollars a mile to build.

If the old turnpike hadn't been there, Zeke from Cabin Creek would have never made it to Morgantown.

The final cost for modernization was $683 million, initial cost was $1.5 mil/mile, or about $135 mil. 

And yes, I DID have a "Survivor of the West Virginia Turnpike" T-shirt.  One of the toll booth attendants offered to buy it off me!   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »
That's when it was being rebuilt to  interstate highway standards.

I haven't googled, but it is old, old, old, back to the 30s or 40s. It was two- and three-lane for all 88 miles.

I remember when I was a little kid hearing old folks marvel about the terrain being so rugged that it cost a million dollars a mile to build.

If the old turnpike hadn't been there, Zeke from Cabin Creek would have never made it to Morgantown.

Not only that, but the TP commission was supposed to be disbanded one the road was paid off. Funny that... the TP commision is still around after how many decades? I read something in the local rag a while back about how the TP commission was saying how now they had to raise tolls cause they needed to fix shit. Dunno if they ever paid it off, but they raised the tolls a while back.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
The final cost for modernization was $683 million, initial cost was $1.5 mil/mile, or about $135 mil. 

And yes, I DID have a "Survivor of the West Virginia Turnpike" T-shirt.  One of the toll booth attendants offered to buy it off me!   :lmao:

Oh shit DD!!! I had forgotten about those! Back in the mid 70's when Dad and I was traveling to a fishing trip to Nags Head in April over Easter break he stopped somewhere to get some coffee and bought me one of those things!!!!

Damn! I wonder if Mom still got that thing.  :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »
Not only that, but the TP commission was supposed to be disbanded one the road was paid off. Funny that... the TP commision is still around after how many decades? I read something in the local rag a while back about how the TP commission was saying how now they had to raise tolls cause they needed to fix shit. Dunno if they ever paid it off, but they raised the tolls a while back.

That road will never be "paid off".  You know that as well as I do.   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »
Was that road construction a shovel ready job?

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »
Was that road construction a shovel ready job?

Shovel, pick, backhoe, dozer, truck, whatever it took. 

I believe this road was a "shovel ready job" before the One could say, "shovel"!   :lmao:

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 10:07:54 PM »
Shovel, pick, backhoe, dozer, truck, whatever it took. 

I believe this road was a "shovel ready job" before the One could say, "shovel"!   :lmao:

So he wasn't responsible for it then. It is a shame he can't try and take credit for it.  :rotf:

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
Isn't there a Senator "Sheets" Byrd highway out there somewhere ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »
So he wasn't responsible for it then. It is a shame he can't try and take credit for it.  :rotf:

Ain't nothing stopping him.

Robert "KKK" Byrd ain't around no more!   :lmao:

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

US 119 South out of Charleston, aka "Corridor G", is named after Sheets, along with just about everything in the Beckley area.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
US 119 South out of Charleston, aka "Corridor G", is named after Sheets, along with just about everything in the Beckley area.

Isn't it named after him because he owned most of it?

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »

There is a senator byrd highway everywhere in WV. Along with a senator byrd school, bridge, monument, street, road, gravel pit, stream, mountain, building, outhouse... well you get the idea.  :-)

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »
Isn't it named after him because he owned most of it?

That I don't know.  I don't think so.

Byrd hailed from the Beckley/Sophia area in Raleigh County, about 50 miles south of Charleston. 

He did shovel buttloads of our tax money from the Federal Treasury into West Virginia, (he was known as "the Prince of Pork" in these parts) so in a sense, even if he didn't "own" it, he did "buy" it.   

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
There is a senator byrd highway everywhere in WV. Along with a senator byrd school, bridge, monument, street, road, gravel pit, stream, mountain, building, outhouse... well you get the idea.  :-)
I think I saw a Stossel type show about how the highway was a highway to nowhere.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
I think I saw a Stossel type show about how the highway was a highway to nowhere.

Son, have you ever BEEN to WV?

Every road (SEEMS) like a "road to nowhere", until you get "there".

Even the dirt ones!   :lmao:

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
There is a senator byrd highway everywhere in WV. Along with a senator byrd school, bridge, monument, street, road, gravel pit, stream, mountain, building, outhouse... well you get the idea.
It's easier to list up the things in West Virginia not named for Senator Byrd.

The rivers were already named something else.

As far as I know, there aren't any towns, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Logan has been renamed Byrdograd.

He was an incredibly popular politician.

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:42 PM »

As far as I know, there aren't any towns, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Logan has been renamed Byrdograd.

That what a few billion dollars in federal money can do for you. 

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
Son, have you ever BEEN to WV?

Every road (SEEMS) like a "road to nowhere", until you get "there".

Even the dirt ones!   :lmao:

LOL  DD!!! Ain't that the damned truth! That was the sport around here when we was in our late teens. Get a case of beer, throw it in the cooler, put it in the back seat and pick a road, follow it, and see where it goes. Better make sure you had a full tank of gas though. One time we ended up damn near to Kentucky.  :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
That what a few billion dollars in federal money can do for you. 
It buys popularity, and votes too. How versatile.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
LOL  DD!!! Ain't that the damned truth! That was the sport around here when we was in our late teens. Get a case of beer, throw it in the cooler, put it in the back seat and pick a road, follow it, and see where it goes. Better make sure you had a full tank of gas though. One time we ended up damn near to Kentucky.  :cheersmate:
And that's not a bad thing.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »

I'll defend the man a little bit here. Byrd was a WVian first. WV and the people always came first with him. He helped a lot of folks around here. Veterans and such. Used to be you could call his office and more often than not, get him on the phone. Unlike Rockefeller. Then he changed. I supported him until he voted for the  Assault Weapons Ban. Dad called his office multiple times to complain over that, and got the run around. Dad never supported him after that and neither did I. Dad said it was cause he was pretty much gonna win any election and supported his party over his people.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
And that's not a bad thing.

Not to mention when you got a date with some hot little thang and need a quiet little road to go make out at. You know where to go!! :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 07:07:48 AM »
I'll defend the man a little bit here. Byrd was a WVian first. WV and the people always came first with him. He helped a lot of folks around here. Veterans and such. Used to be you could call his office and more often than not, get him on the phone. Unlike Rockefeller. Then he changed. I supported him until he voted for the  Assault Weapons Ban. Dad called his office multiple times to complain over that, and got the run around. Dad never supported him after that and neither did I. Dad said it was cause he was pretty much gonna win any election and supported his party over his people.

That was about the time whenever he appeared on TV, his hands were shaking and he was drooling.  Sometime back in the 70's or 80's I think.

We got WVVA NBC 6 where I live, and the most fun I ever witnessed was watching their local news concerning WV's politics.  Byrd, Rockefeller, Arch Moore, Bob Wise (who I think looks a LOT like Freddie Mercury), Manchin.  To me, they all mirrored typical Democrat politics and politicians.  (Think Boss Hogg from "The Dukes Of Hazzard".)

Especially Joe Manchin's uncle, A. James Manchin.  HE was a HOOT!   :lmao:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:10:32 AM by diesel driver »

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
Especially Joe Manchin's uncle, A. James Manchin.  HE was a HOOT!
I remember A. James, what a nut.

He always dressed like a cross between Boss Hogg and Marryin' Sam from the Li'l Abner comic strip.

He was constantly on TV crusading against junk cars up on blocks along the roadside and in front lawns.

It was his only issue.