Author Topic: Narrow stairway  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Narrow stairway
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
The concrete steps leading to the basement are extremely narrow -- six inches deep or less.  I can barely walk up and down them without my foot slipping so I'm looking for a less hazardous alternative, especially if I'm going to be paying people to move some of my larger furniture in and out.  It's the most convenient entrance because it's directly under the covered carport and garage.

All the stairs are the same way through the entire house... shallow and tall.  The treads are shallow but the risers are a more normal height.  I'm wondering if I can use some dimensional lumber to create a flight of stairs that are anchored at the top and bottom, or if I should try to support each new stair individually. I'm stumped.

I'll try to post some pictures later.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Narrow stairway
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »
If it were me, I'd go with an entirely redesigned staircase.

I'm no carpenter, but it seems to me trying to fix that problem in that there's lack of depth to each step creates problems when you're trying to plant your big-assed feet on each of them, especially going down.

I just don't see how that problem can be rectified without redesigned risers and tread depth so that there is consistency on each.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
There are building code requirements for stairs (tread depth and riser height) and they are pretty much universal over the country.  Occasionally older homes have non compliant staircases, however, it should be relatively easy to build a new staircase over the old one (especially if the existing steps are concrete). Standard pre-cut dimensional lumber for riser supports (stringers) and treads are available at most building supply companies (like Lowes), and aren't expensive, all you have to do is modify the stringers to overlay the existing stairs, attach them with concrete anchors or other appropriate fasteners, and then build the rest of the staircase on top of the supports.....I've done a couple of times, and it is fairly simple with a few common tools.

Precut stringers:

Modify the underside of these to fit on top of the existing steps.......

doc

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:53:30 AM by TVDOC »
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
There are building code requirements for stairs (tread depth and riser height) and they are pretty much universal over the country.  Occasionally older homes have non compliant staircases, however, it should be relatively easy to build a new staircase over the old one (especially if the existing steps are concrete). Standard pre-cut dimensional lumber for riser supports (stringers) and treads are available at most building supply companies (like Lowes), and aren't expensive, all you have to do is modify the stringers to overlay the existing stairs, attach them with concrete anchors or other appropriate fasteners, and then build the rest of the staircase on top of the supports.....I've done a couple of times, and it is fairly simple with a few common tools.
That is exactly what I was looking for -- I don't really want to deal with the hassle of cutting my own stringers.  It's an older house from about 1951 or 1955 and the concrete steps are roughly 6x6.

I'll see what I can do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
I'd love to do something like this for the stairs leading from the kitchen into the basement, those damn stairs scare the heck out of me and I worry about us falling because the steps are so narrow.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
That is exactly what I was looking for -- I don't really want to deal with the hassle of cutting my own stringers.  It's an older house from about 1951 or 1955 and the concrete steps are roughly 6x6.

I'll see what I can do.

You mentioned that these were basement stairs off of a carport......if they are exposed to the elements make certain that you buy pressure-treated stringers and tread lumber.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
Yes, I was aware of that.  I was going to go with composite material for the treads since it doesn't require painting (white).

Thanks.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »

I'll see what I can do.
Why not? It's pretty easy Chris! Circular saw,speed square,tape measure and a pencil? 5 minutes work tops! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
Why not? It's pretty easy Chris! Circular saw,speed square,tape measure and a pencil? 5 minutes work tops! :-)
Yeah, but I can buy them already made and I might have to make one cut to make the top step level with the driveway.