Author Topic: 8 Bugs You Don't Know You're Eating  (Read 2281 times)

Offline CG6468

8 Bugs You Don't Know You're Eating
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
8 Bugs You Don't Know You're Eating

By David Zinczenko with Matt Goulding
May 01, 2012

I'm a big proponent of protein. Eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken for lunch, lightly seared filet of salmon for dinner—I can't get enough. But even I have a limit, and that limit generally begins about the time I see exoskeletons, tentacles, pinchers, or stingers sticking out of my food.

I realize that in some parts of the world, bugs are considered a reliable source of protein. But the people who eat those bugs do so willingly. It's a normal part of their diet. Here in the United States, we're pretty squeamish about chomping into insects or stabbing our forks into larvae. And that's why it might come as a shock to discover that, because of the FDA's lax food-safety regulations, your food might very well be crawling with creepy, slimy, buzzing things of all sorts. In fact, it's been estimated that the average person unintentionally eats a pound of insects every year. And I'm not talking about gummy worms here. I'm talking about real live (or formerly live) bugs.

With the help of Rodale.com writer Emily Main, we've identified a few of the more disgusting bugs infiltrating your food. Prepare to be grossed out.

Does this really bug you?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline jtyangel

Re: 8 Bugs You Don't Know You're Eating
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:08 AM »
 :bawl:

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
No.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
I'd hate to know how many Mosquito larva, fresh water shrimp, etc. I've eaten/drank...........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
Does this really bug you?
Hmmmm. Add to that all of the spiders you probably consume while sleeping and you got a pretty good cheap protein source! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
Thrips

At anywhere from 1/25 to 1/8 of an inch long, these tiny little winged parasites are legally allowed in apple butter, canned or frozen asparagus, frozen broccoli, and frozen Brussels sprouts.

Aphids

Those same little green or black bugs that can destroy a bouquet of flowers can infiltrate your frozen veggies, particularly spinach, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. And if you home-brew beer, you might consider growing your own hops: The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops.

For all you Brussels sprouts fanatics -

You starting to see a pattern here?    :puke:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.