Author Topic: poll: where were you during the Scamdal?  (Read 6420 times)

Offline redwhit

Re: Re: Re: poll: where were you during the Scamdal?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »
It was Conservative Underground or FR, since the Cave didn't exist yet.  But understood anyway. ;)

Those were fun days to be moderating all the lurkers from the DUmp who were looking for the straight dope, since no one at DU could speak truth to stupid. (Sarcasm intended)

Crap, one of these days I gotta learn how to read.   :thatsright:

Yah, it was CU, cause there were zesty tidbits over there that either didn't make it or weren't allowed at FR.  But it really was like a mystery novel.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: Re: poll: where were you during the Scamdal?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
Yah, it was CU, cause there were zesty tidbits over there that either didn't make it or weren't allowed at FR.  But it really was like a mystery novel.

That was a problem, given that the two sites had different rules about what was allowed.

Which is why members of Scamdy belonged to both sites, because if something wasn't allowed on one, the odds were pretty good it was allowed on the other.  I don't believe either site could allege members of Scamdy violated any of their rules, as we were very good at respecting boundaries.

It's too bad the primitives weren't so good.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: poll: where were you during the Scamdal?
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
I picked "wasn't around anywhere it was discussed" which is half true.  I was an active member at CU and had been since February, 2004.  But I made a habit of taking off 3 to 4 months during the late Spring and Early Summer just to get away from online life for a while, and it all unfolded during that time.  When I came back, the whole event had virtually passed me by, though I think I caught the very end of it.

Same thing happened at CU when gator when ronpaulbot.  I was away for 3 months doing work, came back and the whole place had blown up.  Took me about a week to figure out most everyone had relocated to CC.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
Trolling the DUmp and running from Paulbots.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
I started out on FR reading about it on the DUmmie FUnnies and Frank's Can o' Worms reports. Discovered CU when Pitt and somebody else came over to answer restricted questions.

Then I remember Fat Che and his innumerous "Scooby Doo-like" Internet disguises. One time posing as a detective, and he existed for a long time on our old home, always denying he was Fat Che but then when he was exposed, he left. Or went silent.

And then there was that SubGenius guy who was allowed on our old home for the purpose of exposing Fat Che, but he had previously been a disruptor there and it rankled some of the senior members so his stay and expose was short lived.

I even remember when Andy made a post on Free Republic for his paper ballot movement, then I remember forgetting all about it, then I remember someone rediscovering the post after his demise.

I remember his grumpy posts from a hospital bed about silverfish at whatever hospital he was staying at and other complaints. And I also remember something about him jet-setting about the country with a "weeping" post-surgery wound of some sort.

I remember the rage of goodboy. I remember Pitt's empty ninja-lawyer threat. I remember that termite, or flea, Andy's SigOth, took the exact amount of money allegedly raised by the DUmmies from their house via an equity loan or some such and none of it went to medical bills.

I remember Andy buying gold on the dips from a modest inheritance he had received. I remember that there was a puppy too.  And I remember publicity shots of Andy wearing his "paper ballot" hat with his fingers in the V shape as he was being wheeled on a gurney.

I also remember how Andy's former boss, the lady who the comic book super villain tried to rip-off, actually found vote fraud in a Democrat county of Florida but it was hushed up by the DUmp monkeys who didn't want to hear it/thought it was a good thing.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
Yeah, I was on FR at the time too, looking forward to every DUmmy FUnnies.
Those were the days. I barely post at FR anymore.

and Frank, thumbs up! Consistent quality though all the years. Love your writing.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
I was on the grassy knoll.

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »

Great memories, sir.

Yeah, Fat Che ("benburch") was pretty stupid.

He acted as if we were the stupid ones and couldn't see through him.

I'll never forget the time he had a problem with logging in somewhere, and gave his password to Misty.

Misty on the DUmmie FUnnies was another great one, proving that one shouldn't mess around with women in the bus business.

One wonders whatever happened to Misty; she too disappeared shortly after the Scamdal had run its course.

By the way, the late red round one's PayPal account in late April 2005 showed a balance in four figures (a few thousand dollars and some odd cents).  This was before the Scamdal got underway, and maybe perhaps were residual funds from his short-lived "campaign" for Secretary of State of Washington state.

That campaign, like the one currently being waged by the big guy in Bellevue, was just a game, nothing more.  The then-Secretary of State of Washington was a Republican, and there was a big-name Democrat opposing him in 2006.  (The Republican won re-election.)

It always killed me, in the wikipedia entry for "Andy Stephenson," where it was alleged he "took on" a powerful Republican Secretary of State.  He didn't take on anything; he was planning to run in the Democrat primary for the office, not for the office itself.  His plans however melted away.  He never even filed.

Much for the betterment of accurate history, the late red round one's wikipedia entry was later deleted by the authorities there; one shudders to think that had it remained, some high-school student twenty or thirty years hence might use him as the subject of a term paper.  But no chance of that any more.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
I never really noticed it before but it is interesting that the Scamdal coincides with Walpurgisnacht and the eve before the great communist holiday, May Day. Means nothing but I'm sure some DUmp conspiracy theorist can make something of it.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
Yeah, I was on FR at the time too, looking forward to every DUmmy FUnnies.

Those were the days. I barely post at FR anymore.

and Frank, thumbs up! Consistent quality though all the years. Love your writing.

This was a typical DUmmie ALERT! posted inside the DUmmie FUnnies while the Scamdal was going on, to advise interested parties that something new had transpired.  There were hundreds of such DUmmie ALERT!s, but this is the only one I can find at the moment:

DUmmie ALERT!

DUmmie ALERT!

DUmmie ALERT!

RED ROUND ONE DISAPPEARS!

INTO THIN AIR, EVAPORATES!

WHEREABOUTS UNKNOWN!

WITH THE WIND, GONE!

sfexpat2000 ALLEGES KIDNAPPING BY “freepers”!

ALLEGES FOUL PLAY BY “freepers”!

flyarm IN PARIS!  ON A SHOPPING SPREE!

ABANDONS SICK-BED OF THE RED ROUND ONE!

SICK-BED EMPTY, UNOCCUPIED, NEVER OCCUPIED!

OH RED ROUND ONE, WHERE ART THOU?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
I never really noticed it before but it is interesting that the Scamdal coincides with Walpurgisnacht and the eve before the great communist holiday, May Day. Means nothing but I'm sure some DUmp conspiracy theorist can make something of it.

I remember that being pointed out in the DUmmie FUnnies, but I don't recall who said it; I would've guessed it was you.

By the way, about the third day into the Scamdal, it was obvious what was going on; that this was poor stupid Beth's baby, and not the red round one's.

I think everybody had grasped that, consciously or subconsciously, by Sunday of the first week.

Some primitives made a big deal about proponents of open and honest fund-raisers being "ghouls," chasing after a dying man, but that of course was shit.

When it was understood what was really going on, all focus switched from the red round one to poor stupid Beth, where it remained until the end of the Scamdal.  No one paid attention to the red round one, who was left in peace and quiet while all eyes watched poor stupid Beth **** up over and over and over again.

Poor stupid Beth's biggest mistake was believing that freerepublic was "six old men with sockpuppets," of little or no consequence.  And so at first, none of the primitives were watching the DUmmie FUnnies; after all, poor stupid Beth had said freerepublic didn't matter.

As a consequence, the scammers were compelled to hurriedly backtrack and change their stories on details examined in the DUmmie FUnnies (and later, at our old home and on Scamdy.com) some days previously, tripping all over each other in their "explanations" or "clarifications."

franksolich had advised poor stupid Beth from Day One--in fact, circa 3:32 p.m. central time, April 30, about two minutes after the Scamdal was launched--that it might be a good idea to "assign" a primitive to hang around the DUmmie FUnnies to see what was being said, so as to keep her story-line straight.

But did poor stupid Beth heed the advice and counsel of franksolich?

N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.

It's really odd, the things that happen to primitives who ignore franksolich's advice and counsel.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
To conclude the commemoration of this most memorable day seven years ago, it must be pointed out that even to this day, no one knows whatever happened to the money that was raised.

One person might know, but as she's now non compos mentis, no point in demanding the answer from her.

As for a point that's neither here nor there, but belongs somewhere, poor stupid Beth is on record--in the newspaper--as admitting that she herself never met the late red round one in real life, in person.

That's right; sfexpat2000 never met Andy Stephenson.  She said so herself.

She knew him only via the internet.

But back to wrapping this up, no one even knows how much money was raised.

Speculations seem to be on the "too high" side, especially given that the primitives are notorious for always promising, never delivering. 

It is possible that whatever money was actually raised, most of it came from "freepers" who wrong-headedly thought proponents of open and honest fund-raisers were "too hard" on the scammers.  Scamdy had to deal with a few of those bleeding hearts from this side.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »
I was full time poster at Hannity's forum in those days and never knew this went down. I missed out on the good times.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »

That's right; sfexpat2000 never met Andy Stephenson.  She said so herself.

He hardly had time for her. Every day during the Andyscam, a half dozen DUmmies would claim to have met him that day, and would recount their conversations.

Even when he was alleged to be in Johns Hopkins for his imaginary surgery dozens of DUmmies claimed to have visited him there.

Dozens of DUmmies claimed to be corresponding with him by e-mail, even when he was supposedly in intensive care.

It was all these co-conspirators who made the Andyscam extraordinary.

Of course many of the announced pledges never resulted in money - they were bait to lure in money from simpleminded DUmmies who thought they were doing good.

Poor stupid DUmmies never heard of the "judas goat" model for fundraising.

With all those swarms of DUmpmonkeys in constant close physical and electronic contact with the round red sodomite, it is amazing that coach was able to slip through and kill the son of a bitch.

But he did.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
He hardly had time for her. Every day during the Andyscam, a half dozen DUmmies would claim to have met him that day, and would recount their conversations.

Even when he was alleged to be in Johns Hopkins for his imaginary surgery dozens of DUmmies claimed to have visited him there.

Dozens of DUmmies claimed to be corresponding with him by e-mail, even when he was supposedly in intensive care.

Of course many of the announced pledges never resulted in money - they were bait to lure in money from simpleminded DUmmies who thought they were doing good.

With all those swarms of DUmpmonkeys in constant close physical and electronic contact with the round red sodomite, it is amazing that coach was able to slip through and kill the son of a bitch.

But he did.

Just right off the top of my head, the primitives who actually met the late red round one in real life included the sensitive lad, the MeganMonkey primitive, the liberalnurse primitive, and a whole lot of primitives around New Jersey.

Which made sense, because that's where the late red round one spent all his time before flying back to Seattle for his final days; as a guest in the Streisandian digs of Leona Helmsley of DUmmieland, the now-mausoleumed flyarm primitive.  flyarm has really big digs there--they surpass even those of the rich bitch the kpete primitive--and so one reasonably assumes the late red round one had a comfortable time there.

The one that always got me, though, was the Joan_Alpern primitive, the "psychic."  An occasion arose where the red round one needed some quick cash, and he wrote her a check for $300. 

The check bounced.

What got me about this was that if the Joan_Alpern primitive was in fact psychic, how come she didn't know in advance the check would be no good?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
I chose "knew it was there, but ignored it", but should of been "watching it once in a while, but not wholly". I remember it well.

I misssed all of it. Just before the Scam broke out I was busy dealing with some idiots on another message board that refused to deal with some  Asslicker that though it was ok to personally attack Conservatives that went far beyond anything we here have seen from DU. Ptarmy and myself had seen this go on and on and I was hoping that would ban him. Little did I know the moderators on the site were more interested in keeping the fights going no matter the damage caused. So I left and joined another site and later CU after the Scam broke out.
What a mess. Many of the originals from there are here or at CU today.

Yeah, speed_addiction was a problem, both on the DUmmie FUnnies and at our old home.

He later got exposed as a poseur, and was banned from freerepublic, but our old home accepted his apologies, and he hung around there.  I wonder what's happened to him since.

Another member of the DUmmie FUnnies that's been long absent is Barset.

Barset was hilarious.  Barset was great.

One wonders whatever happened to Barset, who evaporated with the Scamdal.....
I remember Speed_Addict. I know about his fake military service story. I never saw it. However, I remember his prison stories well and I thought they were dubious. Why would someone brag about being in prison. I have wondered about him too.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:21:04 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
It was Conservative Underground or FR, since the Cave didn't exist yet.  But understood anyway. ;)

Those were fun days to be moderating all the lurkers from the DUmp who were looking for the straight dope, since no one at DU could speak truth to stupid. (Sarcasm intended)

Scamdy was back in 2005 to early 2006 if I recall. That's the biggest scandal I recall. I can't think of any scandal comparable to Scamdy to this day.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
I actually got into an argument with Free Republics own TIT impersonator Speed Addiction.  If I remember correctly he claimed an inside source to the Scamdy camp, and I called BS.  Then we got into it over all his other claims.  I guess I should call TIT a Speed Addiction impersonator since he came after.

SA did make some wild claims, didn't he?  I wonder what happened to him?
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »

Hey--didn't StinkDUd say something about having a mole over here? :???: :fuelfire: :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »

But he did.

It always cracks me up when you mention that coach killed the red round one.  Hi 5.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

I do believe that he is on CU.

He came clean before the old CU was over ran with paulbots. All was forgiven.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »
I do believe that he is on CU.

He came clean before the old CU was over ran with paulbots. All was forgiven.

SA made claims he was an Army Ranger and in prison.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
SA made claims he was an Army Ranger and in prison.
I believe the latter, not the former.  I think both turned out to be bullshit.

Who the hell would brag about being in prison? :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
I believe the latter, not the former.  I think both turned out to be bullshit.

Who the hell would brag about being in prison? :whatever:

I don't actually remember his military story, but is well known from what I recall.

I remember his prison story more.  His prison story was fake because like you said who brags about being prison. I don't get it either. They rather put it behind and move on.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
I don't actually remember his military story, but is well known from what I recall.

I remember his prison story more.  His prison story was fake because like you said who brags about being prison. I don't get it either. They rather put it behind and move on.
I remember one military story where a camel exploded while he and his unit where out on patrol that allegedly happened during the first gulf war.

I remember one prison story where the prisoners found out they had been fed zoo grade meat.

I remember some story, maybe the one that got him sent to "prison" where he and/or his brother stole a plane a flew it into Mexico, or something.

I remember he claimed he had some trigger event in his life that caused him to want to live life like it was a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.

I also remember a claim that he owned  a gas station that he was able to buy because he treated someone well in prison. The details elude me.
― Homer, The Odyssey