Author Topic: Wal-Mart and TJX report solid 1st-quarter profit gains  (Read 3056 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Crazy Uncle Johnny must be shopping at Wal Mart again....profits are up!  :rotf:

NEW YORK — Solid first-quarter profits from discounters Wal-Mart and TJX show that more Americans are hunting for bargains as they struggle to cover their monthly credit card payments, put food on the table and gas in the family car.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, posted a 6.9 percent increase in first-quarter profits, helped by improved customer service, better inventory control and strong international sales.

The results beat Wall Street's projections by a penny, but the company issued a cautious outlook for the current quarter and warned that the economy would be a "critical factor" in 2008.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_bi_ge/earns_retail

Offline Lacarnut

Re: Wal-Mart and TJX report solid 1st-quarter profit gains
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »
My trips to Walleymart are to purchase canned and boxed grocery items; no meat or things that could be stale dated. The store I go to customer service has not shown any noticeable improvement. Most of the stockers are playing grab @ss..

Good news that the economy is not going to pot though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:29:42 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
My trips to Walleymart are to purchase canned and boxed grocery items; no meat or things that could be stale dated. The store I go to customer service has not shown any noticeable improvement. Most of the stockers are playing grab @ss..

actually, when walmart is up & the majority is down, its proof that we are in a recession...

mark my words, the day walmart profits go down, is the day the rest of the economy will be on the rebound

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »

actually, when walmart is up & the majority is down, its proof that we are in a recession...

mark my words, the day walmart profits go down, is the day the rest of the economy will be on the rebound

You don't really know anything about economics or finance, do you?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »

I knew I'd find you here, when I saw the words Wal-Mart.  What if Wal-Mart bought the Patriots?  What would you do?  It'd be like finding out Vader is your father. :fuelfire:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »

I live it, I'm a retail business owner ...

an I can assure you, walmarts best years/quarters  are while the rest of the country is primarily in an  economic downturn/recession....whatever you want to call it....  ...

look it up if you don't believe me ...

and if YOU actually understood the economy, its easy to see why chinamart does better during 'recessions' ...

ie: PEOPLE HAVE LESS MONEY, therefore limited choices/budgets lead them to commie mart to get untaxed, slave made counterfeit crap at walmart where they can save a few bucks in the shortterm (longterm, no, because healthcare costs & loss of work will eat up their supposed pinkomart savings 1000 fold)

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »

I knew I'd find you here, when I saw the words Wal-Mart.  What if Wal-Mart bought the Patriots?  What would you do?  It'd be like finding out Vader is your father. :fuelfire:

sacrilage....

Bob Kraft would never do it... .... he truly loves that team/ football & wouldn't turn them over to slave trading, counterfieting, anti american commies

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »

I live it, I'm a retail business owner ...

an I can assure you, walmarts best years/quarters  are while the rest of the country is primarily in an  economic downturn/recession....whatever you want to call it....  ...

look it up if you don't believe me ...

and if YOU actually understood the economy, its easy to see why chinamart does better during 'recessions' ...

ie: PEOPLE HAVE LESS MONEY, therefore limited choices/budgets lead them to commie mart to get untaxed, slave made counterfeit crap at walmart where they can save a few bucks in the shortterm (longterm, no, because healthcare costs & loss of work will eat up their supposed pinkomart savings 1000 fold)

I tried reading that...  but all I was seeing was this...  :overreaction:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."