Author Topic: Garter snakes  (Read 5098 times)

Offline longview

Garter snakes
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
Any tips on getting rid of them?

A fellow in my department is fairly inundated by them in his several acre yard.  He and his girlfriend aren't up to taking gardening implements and doing away with the varmints.  I'm too busy to sit in their yard and wait for snakes.

I did run out to their place and didn't see the usual long grass, piles of branches, etc.  I did suggest that they get steel wool and plug every available crack and crevice around baseboards and around drains before trying to exterminate the snakes chemically.  He's afraid they have nested in the crawl space under the house.  The house had been empty for a while before they moved in during the past winter, so I guess that could have happened.

It's only been going on for about a week, so I also suggested that the snakes are migrating through his area.  And/or since garter snakes mate at this time of year kind of orgy style, his yard is the equivalent of a decadent spring break for garter snakes.

Offline thundley4

Re: Garter snakes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
I chase them down with the lawn mower when I see them.  It leaves a crazy pattern in the yard sometimes, though.  Our Beagle caught one last fall that I had to take from her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »
Cats are good.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
Just keep the yard cut and get rid of any brush piles.

Garter snakes ain't looking for people to snuggle up to.

I don't really understand the urge to get rid of them though, it's not like they are any kind of danger at all.

In fact they are quite useful, unless of course you would like to replace them with the pests they remove.

The last house I lived in had a sump that ran out to a drainage easment, it allowed things to get in. Things like silverfish and I guess one anole type lizard.

My ex saw it first and freaked right the heck out. She demanded that I crush the life out of it.

I tried to catch it...never did, I did see it once though.

Metalic blue, very handsome.

I guess they are kinda smelly if you pick them up, garters that is.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
Why would you want to? They're part of the Eco system. They eat bugs. Isn't that a good thing?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
They don't bite.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:06 PM »
Cats are good.

This is also a good idea. A barn cat is awesome. My estranged wife's grandfather has one. No snakes, no mice.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
Garter snakes = no little varmints. I'd take all you have if there was a way, and then I'd have no chipmunk problems. Even if they can't eat the critters, varmints are scared to death of them.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »
Garter snakes = no little varmints. I'd take all you have if there was a way, and then I'd have no chipmunk problems. Even if they can't eat the critters, varmints are scared to death of them.

So are females. Hmm... ;-)

I have no problem with rat snakes, king snakes, or garter snakes. ...and I hate f'n snakes as well as spiders. They all have a purpose. I'd say all God's creatures had a purpose if he'd reveal to me the the purpose a common house fly, a gnat, a chigger(red bug), and a mosquito have.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 05:41:51 AM »
Why would anyone want to kill garter snakes??  Leave them alone.  Even in town, I've found them curled under rocks I moved, and even once inside a wall I was fixing.  I sometimes catch them and bring them to show the kids, but then we let them go.  They're harmless, even beneficial. 

In our area, all poisonous snakes have the triangular head, so I've taught my kids which ones to kill.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »
They don't bite.

They will piss on you. Don't ask.....
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
They don't bite.

They can and do bite, but it doesn't hurt much.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »
They can and do bite, but it doesn't hurt much.

They don't hurt at all. We used to let'em dangle from our fingertips.

Wineslob is correct. Don't know what it is, but they piss on you almost every time you pick'em up.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »
Now, as harmless as they are, you don't want to get popped by a 4' King snake. Doesn't really hurt but it'll shock the hell out of you. You have to really piss off a King to get it to do it. They normally don't go around trying to mess with humans. Oh, and they kill and eat poisonous snakes. Check mark in that column.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
They don't hurt at all. We used to let'em dangle from our fingertips.

Wineslob is correct. Don't know what it is, but they piss on you almost every time you pick'em up.

I don't remember ever having one piss on me. I've had lots of toads and frogs do that though.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
I don't remember ever having one piss on me. I've had lots of toads and frogs do that though.

They have a strong scent they emit from a liquid they expel. I don't know if it's piss, but that's as as a term as any.

QUESTION: Do snakes piss?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »
They have a strong scent they emit from a liquid they expel. I don't know if it's piss, but that's as as a term as any.

QUESTION: Do snakes piss?

Sorta

They expell urea which is a combination of fecal material and uric acid.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline longview

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with even half a dozen.  I guess they've been seeing 20 or more at the same time.  They are worried about the snakes being/denning under the house, but I told them there would be a nasty smell if they were.

I'm with y'all.  I'd rather have garter snakes than rodents and insects.  These folks are from a midwestern city and other than liking the view, they don't seem to tolerate living at the edge of town very well.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
I wish our little snake problem down here in Jawga was just limited to garter snakes. ;-)

It's the Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Eastern Diamondbacks, and Timber Rattlers that I hate. We have coral snakes, but they're rare and not much of a problem.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »
Yep! My grandmother used to have my younger brother and I go out into the fields and woods to gather them and bring them back into her garden. Amazing how good her vegetables grew were not ever chewed on by one critter or another.  :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »

You aren't a licker......are you?

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
Gotta watch out for those camel toads.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
You aren't a licker......are you?

:-)

Nope, I was just a normal kid that had lots of creeks and ponds around where I grew up.

Offline longview

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
I wish our little snake problem down here in Jawga was just limited to garter snakes. ;-)

It's the Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Eastern Diamondbacks, and Timber Rattlers that I hate. We have coral snakes, but they're rare and not much of a problem.

I used to make sure we always had a bull snake in the yard/barn area.  They keep the prairie rattlers away, or dead.  They always got pretty comfortable around us and the kids named them.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
Gotta watch out for those camel toads.
Where did you get that ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.