Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 7072 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Gardening
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
I am going to copy the thread in the lounge and start a thread for everyone to post pictures of their yard, garden, decks, ponds...etc.

I'm going to start with my fern that I potted several weeks ago. It is getting friggen huge.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
I hate yardwork. And gardening.

That is all.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
My wife could kill a cactus.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
I hate yardwork. And gardening.

That is all.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger kemosabi.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Look at these guys raining on your parade!  Never mind them.  That's one happyass fern!  I have nothing to share at the moment, as winter has returned.  No summer for us; time to start the Christmas shopping. 

Weather breaks on May 1.  There's a particular shot I have in mind, assuming they don't croak. 

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
I thought my tomatoes, green beans and corn would have bought the farm the past two nights; too cold.  They look a bit wilted, but still alive.

I want to post a photo of my windows boxes.  They look fabulous and made it through the cold snap!  I can't find my camera anywhere.  

edited to ask:  Can you keep that gorgeous fern alive and for how long?  I can get them home and they look good for a few weeks, then turn ugly and shed leaves.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »
Whiffleball, I want window boxes!  I want window boxes!  My house is stone, and looks, well, formidable.  We've put in lots of flower beds, and that's an improvement, but I daydream about window boxes prettying up the architecture.  I adore container gardening.  Mother's Day is the safe planting day here.  Some say Memorial, but no way am I waiting. 

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Whiffleball, I want window boxes!  I want window boxes!  My house is stone, and looks, well, formidable.  We've put in lots of flower beds, and that's an improvement, but I daydream about window boxes prettying up the architecture.  I adore container gardening.  Mother's Day is the safe planting day here.  Some say Memorial, but no way am I waiting. 

I have 6 that are just garden variety cocoa liner and wire, but they make the house look so very different when they're full.  I've been planning for 3 years to make some wooden ones, but as usual didn't get around to it again this year.  I spent the bare minimum at Walmart to fill the 6 and added some Creeping Jenny and Angelina from my perennial beds to fill them out. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
Here's a few shots of the backyard I took Sunday evening:   

Tree ring just outside of our kitchen

The Bridalvail and Azalea's are going strong

Some new groundcover and Hostas we bought back in October:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
Very nice WS!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Lolz, these pics remind me I need to rake............... :mad:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
Whiffleball, I want window boxes!  I want window boxes! 

I just quoted myself   :p  Guess what I got this weekend?  Window boxes!  My husband installed them for me, and I can't wait to design the contents!!  So excited!   We should start a thread in the Spa to show our stuff off (remember right click then properties). 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
I just quoted myself   :p  Guess what I got this weekend?  Window boxes!  My husband installed them for me, and I can't wait to design the contents!!  So excited!   We should start a thread in the Spa to show our stuff off (remember right click then properties). 
This quoting yourself thing seems to have some magic power. The next time I really want something I will try it !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »
Here is my garden.  I don't have photo bucket, so it is attached....
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »

Full sun, you suck.

:mad:

We kinda gave up on some Zucc's and yellow squash so we brought them over to the neighbors across the street. They had a tree removed and now have almost full sun in a portion of their back yard. So we "contributed" to the garden. When things mature, we get to come over and glom on some veggies!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »

Full sun, you suck.

:mad:

We kinda gave up on some Zucc's and yellow squash so we brought them over to the neighbors across the street. They had a tree removed and now have almost full sun in a portion of their back yard. So we "contributed" to the garden. When things mature, we get to come over and glom on some veggies!

Actually, it isn't full sun.  Well, it is kind of.  It is a western exposure, with a pecan tree over it.  The tree protects the garden from the harshest sun, for part of the day.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »

How glorious!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
How glorious!

It looks that way, eh?  It's a lot of work. Every night.  :)

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »

Last Sunday I dug out/tripled the size of my garden that I had last year. Oh. My. God. I couldn't move for two days. Didn't even have the energy to plant afterwards.

Sparky tried the greenhouse thing to get seeds started a few weeks back, but it didn't turn out so well (he killed them all  :whistling:).

So, I'll be planting this weekend.  :hyper:

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 07:03:38 AM »
Last Sunday I dug out/tripled the size of my garden that I had last year. Oh. My. God. I couldn't move for two days. Didn't even have the energy to plant afterwards.

Sparky tried the greenhouse thing to get seeds started a few weeks back, but it didn't turn out so well (he killed them all  :whistling:).

So, I'll be planting this weekend.  :hyper:

We have one of those humungous green ugly-as-sin electrical boxes out in front of the house, along with the ubiquitous telephone and cable connection points (I have no clue what they're called). Gingerly dug out around that just deep enough to remove the sod because, are you ready for this....?

Wait for it...

I'm gonna plant ROCKS around those things. And weed barrier underneath, of course.

:-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
Just got done with my retaining wall a few days ago. Raised the sprinkler heads today, next is 3 yards of new/nice soil. Then planting my daliahs, sunflowers, herbs, peppers..  ect. Full sun garden 5ft wide x 62ft long. A little late getting stuff in but will use starts this year.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Here is that original fern I posted in the beginning of this thread, it's huge.

I bought two new plants this weekend. The bigger airplane (or spider) plant and Plectranthus Mona Lavender (the one with the small purple flowers). I'm going to repot Mona lavender in a larger pot and plant the airplane plant in a different pot than it is sitting in.

I also bought some pansies that don't look impressive yet because I just planted them (in the ground) and I also bought and potted some violas with this spikey thing I put in the middle.  I'm eventually going to buy a huge interesting pot to put in the place of this one and find something really interesting to put in it.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
WTH is wrong with you? Don't you know it's almost November????? Hell, everything here is dying.   :hammer:

Nice looking arrangement BEG. I wish I had your climate, but then it wouldn't be No. Cal.  :thatsright:

I did start a new veggie garden. Cleared out a 18 X 14 foot area (it might have enough sun in the summer/crossing fingers) and spent 3 hours screening one of my bins of compost. Tilled it all in, and the soil looks pretty good, but with red clay "soil" it's tough to get enough amendments into the ground. We'll try this spring with tomatoes, and other assorted veggies.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
WTH is wrong with you? Don't you know it's almost November????? Hell, everything here is dying.   :hammer:

Nice looking arrangement BEG. I wish I had your climate, but then it wouldn't be No. Cal.  :thatsright:

I did start a new veggie garden. Cleared out a 18 X 14 foot area (it might have enough sun in the summer/crossing fingers) and spent 3 hours screening one of my bins of compost. Tilled it all in, and the soil looks pretty good, but with red clay "soil" it's tough to get enough amendments into the ground. We'll try this spring with tomatoes, and other assorted veggies.

Not everything is dying .  The grass is still greener than it was during this summer when the Obama Drought of 2012 had us in it's grip.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »

Have you ever used red and green sand?  I have black clay, and the sand really breaks it up.