Author Topic: Sun may soon have four poles, say researchers  (Read 22921 times)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Sun may soon have four poles, say researchers
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
I really don't get very worked up about any topic that is a doomsday cataclysmic prediction. In my lifetime none of them have ever come true. If they did come true I wouldn't be around to congratulate the person who predicted it. I do love it though when the time comes that the latest cataclysm predictor has to eat their words when the cataclysm day they predicted comes and goes. I have seen plenty of them.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
I really don't get very worked up about any topic that is a doomsday cataclysmic prediction. In my lifetime none of them have ever come true. If they did come true I wouldn't be around to congratulate the person who predicted it. I do love it though when the time comes that the latest cataclysm predictor has to eat their words when the cataclysm day they predicted comes and goes. I have seen plenty of them.

For sure. Many people live in a doom and gloom world.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »
Yawning wont help you...

Ignorance by choice?  bad move... IMHO

Oh look...another of trip's sock puppets comes to his rescue.  :whatever:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
Yawning wont help you...

Ignorance by choice?  bad move... IMHO

:panic:   <-- there is a whole bunch of meds on the market for that you know.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »

Ignorance doesn't need any meds. It's all natural without any additives, including knowledge.

Bill is about 200 miles from Yellowstone. That puts him inside the range of pyroclastic flows which travel at speeds of 450 mph, reach 1,800 °F, and have boiled people's brains inside their skull where they stand. He has had direct contact with the geologists working on site, and he's personally experienced the impact of the uptick in volcanism, with his well suddenly becoming artesian, his water pH changing abruptly, and even his dogs providing advance alert of quakes.

I'm on the east coast. I can afford to be laid back about it. He and his family cannot. He's not relying on the governmental hazard alerts, as he's seen the lock-down on information first hand, even monitoring personal channels of communication.

Offline Billy_Bob

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »

Gloom and Doom???

nope..

I live in the initial kill zone around Yellowstone. I am personal friends with some of the vulcanologists who service Yellowstone. I have had my communications monitored to the point of ending friendships.. this is PERSONAL...

I watch because the information flow from our government has ceased!

You can call me a "gloom and doomer" if you so choose. I really dont care..

I watch and listen.. I also inform when I can..  

its a matter of choice.. a matter of life and death for me.. if I miss the signs it kills my family.

so lets recount what is going on..

land mass rise of a 200 mile radius around Yellowstone, almost 2 feet in the last ten years.
water table flow changes out to 350 miles..
quake swarms, many of which are shallow (less than a mile in depth)
changes in geyser activity throughout Yellowstone
changes in the Magma chamber which have triggered multiple surveys by USGS (one in dead of winter)
movement of USGS office staff to a place outside initial blast and ash fallout zones.
subsurface temperatures in excess of 115 degrees F at 16" of depth.
drilling of monitoring wells throughout Yellowstone and surrounding areas some which are now steam vents.

this just scratches the surface of what I can personally confirm..

you all want to play the belittling game... ??    that's on you.. I came to share... to inform...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:58:50 PM by Billy_Bob »

Offline Billy_Bob

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »

I see a sock puppet here some where... maybe he can get you the real scoop...

Offline CG6468

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Gloom and Doom???

nope..

I live in the initial kill zone around Yellowstone. I am personal friends with some of the vulcanologists who service Yellowstone. I have had my communications monitored to the point of ending friendships.. this is PERSONAL...

its a matter of choice.. a matter of life and death for me.. if I miss the signs it kills my family.

land mass rise of a 200 mile radius around Yellowstone, almost 2 feet in the last ten years.
changes in the Magma chamber which have triggered multiple surveys by USGS (one in dead of winter)
movement of USGS office staff to a place outside initial blast and ash fallout zones.
drilling of monitoring wells throughout Yellowstone and surrounding areas some which are now steam vents.

you all want to play the belittling game... ??    that's on you.. I came to share... to inform...

Uhhh - I never mentioned you or anyone else by name. What the hell's your problem? And what does your long winded post have to do with this topic?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:00:54 PM by CG6468 »

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
 :lmao:  I feel like vesta has gotten to each and every one of you  :panic:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
:lmao:  I feel like vesta has gotten to each and every one of you  :panic:

The "Ignore" feature here works very well.

Just sayin'............

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
Uhhh - I never mentioned you or anyone else by name. What the hell's your problem? And what does your long winded post have to do with this topic?

Cause it's all about Yellowstone dude. 

To live in such a constant state of total despair would prompt any SANE person to just freakin move.    Not our Billy_Bob.   He's living the dream, and with followers such as Trip to adorn him what's not to love...

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
Cause it's all about Yellowstone dude.  

To live in such a constant state of total despair would prompt any SANE person to just freakin move.    Not our Billy_Bob.   He's living the dream, and with followers such as Trip to adorn him what's not to love...

So now I'm Billy_Bob's "follower"? I thought he was mine, or even me!   Of all the silliness...

No one is in any sort of state of despair, constant or otherwise. Recognition of the reality, whatever it may be, and how to deal with it, allows for people to be in a state other than despair.   Recognition of the truth enables them, rather than disables them. The truth about Yellowstone, or even solar CMEs, is that they can be dealt with far more effectively than just pretending they don't exist and pulling the covers over one's head.

Among other things, 'science' allows us to understand the world around us and be more than just victims of happenstance, more than just fleas on a dog, along for the ride, and wondering why the 'earth' is shaking.

And if you're gonna do it, do it right ...

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:47:21 PM by Trip »

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
vesta has 2 sock puppets ? Why am I always the last to hear these juicy breaking news stories ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
vesta has 2 sock puppets ? Why am I always the last to hear these juicy breaking news stories ?

You should wish I'm Vesta.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:18 PM »
I see that most here have no grasp on the concept of what a diffusion of the suns magnetic field would have on the earth.

So let me enlighten you a bit if i may. Here is an exercise that will show you what dangers there are.

Take a compass and set it on your kitchen table. then take two magnets with opposing polarity just far enough apart you can old them still and then slide them nearer the compass.   The end result is a vassolating effect of the compass (which is another magnet). Now imagine the earth doing what that compass is doing rapidly.

This will result in earth wobble, rapid change in weather and wind patterns, tide changes, oceanic water flows... etc...

You all make lite of the potential problems while they could be potentially devastating to the earth and its INHABITANTS!  Sadly when the sun goes into one of these states the geologic history shows the earth receives massive CME blasts due to the suns instability. This also weakens the earths magnetic field making it more prone to CME effect. The Wobbles change patterns on the earth and generally precede ice ages..

While Trip's posts are lengthy, he is dead on accurate... take the time to read his links, after all this is supposed to be a forum about science... disparagement helps no one...

PS: geologic time scales are interesting animals except when an ice age starts.  they start abruptly and in as short as 30 years spans.. were at 15 now with no warming...  1998 is when the suns instability started...  Food for thought..

Sea Ice increasing massively this year..

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/n_stddev_timeseries2.png

Okay, so what do we do?
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
Gloom and Doom???

nope..

Suffice to say...
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
You should wish I'm Vesta.

Yeah?  Why's that, Trip?

C.S. Lewis

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
I see that most here have no grasp on the concept of what a diffusion of the suns magnetic field would have on the earth.

So let me enlighten you a bit if i may. Here is an exercise that will show you what dangers there are.

Take a compass and set it on your kitchen table. then take two magnets with opposing polarity just far enough apart you can old them still and then slide them nearer the compass.   The end result is a vassolating effect of the compass (which is another magnet). Now imagine the earth doing what that compass is doing rapidly.

This will result in earth wobble, rapid change in weather and wind patterns, tide changes, oceanic water flows... etc...

You all make lite of the potential problems while they could be potentially devastating to the earth and its INHABITANTS!  Sadly when the sun goes into one of these states the geologic history shows the earth receives massive CME blasts due to the suns instability. This also weakens the earths magnetic field making it more prone to CME effect. The Wobbles change patterns on the earth and generally precede ice ages..

While Trip's posts are lengthy, he is dead on accurate... take the time to read his links, after all this is supposed to be a forum about science... disparagement helps no one...

PS: geologic time scales are interesting animals except when an ice age starts.  they start abruptly and in as short as 30 years spans.. were at 15 now with no warming...  1998 is when the suns instability started...  Food for thought..

Sea Ice increasing massively this year..

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/n_stddev_timeseries2.png

Waitaminnute...are you suggesting the sun's magnetic field has an effect on earth's precessional motion? The Sun and Moon's gravitation cause the wobble, not the sun's magnetic field. It's nowhere strong enough to affect earth's movement or relationship to its axis or center of gravity, and never will be. Not even a normal star with a more powerful magnetic field, suddenly substituted for the sun, could do that. You'd need a magnetic field in the billions of gauss, more like a neutron star's magnetic field, to do that. It'd have to be pretty close, too, much closer than 1 AU, at which point we'd have bigger problems than its magnetic field.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:15:54 PM by Danglars »

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
The last time I looked one AU was 96 million miles.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »
The last time I looked one AU was 96 million miles.

93 million...by definition earth's average distance from the Sol is 1 AU. but I'm not sure what your point is. I meant that for a stellar object's magnetic fields to actually affect the earth's iron-nickel core and precessional motion, it would not only have to have magnetic fields substantially stronger than a normal star's, but that also it would have to be much, much closer than 1 AU.

Edited to change "distance" to "average distance"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:45:49 PM by Danglars »

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
93 million...by definition earth's distance from the Sol is 1 AU. but I'm not sure what your point is. I meant that for a stellar object's magnetic fields to actually affect the earth's iron-nickel core, it would not only have to have magnetic field's substantially stronger than a normal star's, but that also it would have to be much, much closer than 1 AU.
Sorry about the 96 instead of the 93. The last time I saw it I must have been looking at an incorrect number. I only said it for any who came across AU, and might be thinking it was the abbreviation for gold.

Offline Billy_Bob

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
lets look at this from a magnetic stand point.

gravometric waves (even at 1AU) are linking.  Whether you want believe it or not. The exercise I explained was to show how the magnetic center and poles will react to a diffused and reduced magnetism. Even the moon is affected as the outside influence changes. minor fluctuations on the cores will have an effect..

while the moon is the close gravity and has the greatest influence the suns influence is not to be discounted.

Offline Danglars

• Banned
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 07:53:09 AM »
lets look at this from a magnetic stand point.

gravometric waves (even at 1AU) are linking.  Whether you want believe it or not. The exercise I explained was to show how the magnetic center and poles will react to a diffused and reduced magnetism. Even the moon is affected as the outside influence changes. minor fluctuations on the cores will have an effect..

while the moon is the close gravity and has the greatest influence the suns influence is not to be discounted.

I don't disagree that our magnetic field and poles are affected by the sun's; but what I do disagree with (and have never heard an astrophysicist propound) is that the sun's magnetic field affects earth's precessional motion.

If you're talking gravity--gravimetry--then we're talking about something other than magnetic fields and certainly the sun and moon's gravity are directly responsible for earth's precessional motion (and, to a much lesser degree, the other planets of Sol system affect this motion). Thus far gravity has not been unified in any field theory I know of with the electroweak interaction.

So all I was saying was that the Sun's magnetic field does not affect earth's precessional motion. Sol's and the Mooon's gravity are responsible for it, of course.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
I repeat, Billy_Bob, what do we do?  Why are you still living in the initial kill zone if all signs are pointing at a massive eruption in the near future?  What the USGS is saying publicly obviously does not jibe with what you and Trip know to be true.  Are you guys still working from the two different (public and actual) data sets?

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
He won't do it.  You've shown him and made him look bad...hence the retarded cheap shots at the end of his last couple posts....now his ego won't let him do anything else but post long winded sermons on how right he is and how stupid the rest of us are.

Got his last warning and still managed to throw it in two different posts...   :confused:

C.S. Lewis