Author Topic: Water Filters....whats good?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Water Filters....whats good?
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
I'm ordering this for my bug out bag, its $10.25. good for 20 gallons.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OR115W/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But I also want something more, one for home use and one for trips.
The bigger one for trips is important. I want it to last longer, I'm looking at canteen style filters and filter units.

What do you guys find reliable?

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Water Filters....whats good?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
I had an MSR waterworks for some years and it was OK as long as you filter relatively clean water. I recently replaced it with an MSR miniworks and am quite happy. Its much easier to clean and maintain. They both compare well to much higher priced units. I keep a rebuild kit on hand at all times but have yet to need it. 
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Water Filters....whats good?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »
What sort of filter you purchase is in large part decided by the contamination you wish to remove and what services you expect to be available to you.

Home/RV RO systems are more affordable all the time and are brilliant but require a external power source to run - Your vehicle/boat is adequate. If you've got a large quantity of suspended solids - run it through a sand filter or use a flocculent to clear it first.

I've got a carbon filter here I made up for post-treating alcohol that works brilliantly and wasn't much more than $50 in materials to build - and is easy enough to service. I still boil the living crap outta water poured through this after - just to be sure.

If you're going to be on foot - those "straw" types of carbon filter will function. To prolong their life you can pre-treat the water by letting it settle, using a sand filter or stocking or what not to get rid of the big lumps that will clog the pores in the carbon very quickly.