Author Topic: Last but not least, the Creme Brulee recipe that my husband made.  (Read 3543 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Calis-Sinful-Creme-Brulee/Detail.aspx

Cali's Sinful Creme Brulee

"Chocolate lined ramekins filled with absolutely sinful creme brulee. Top with fresh berries when in season. Perfect for that special dinner, but easy enough to make everyday!"

PREP TIME    10 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN    6 Hrs 50 Min
Original recipe yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
4 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Place about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips into each of four 6 ounce ramekins. Place them in the microwave, and heat on full power for 30 second intervals. Stir, and continue heating until chocolate has melted. Spread to cover the sides and bottom of each ramekin.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk together the cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. Set over medium heat, and warm until steam rises from the surface. Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla. When the cream is hot, ladle a little bit into the egg yolks while whisking quickly. Ladle in a bit more to bring the yolks up to a high temperature without scrambling them. Whisk the yolk mixture into the rest of the cream. Ladle into the chocolate lined ramekins.

Place a towel in the bottom of a baking dish, and place the filled ramekins on top of the towel. Place in the oven, and pour boiling water carefully into the baking dish until it comes half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, just until the custard is set. Remove ramekins from the dish, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.

Before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top of each creme brulee. Use a kitchen torch or your oven's broiler to caramelize the sugar. It may take 2 to 3 minutes in the broiler. Serve immediately.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Last but not least, the Creme Brulee recipe that my husband made.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
That sounds exhausting.  I have only two ramekins left anyway.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »
sounds yummy! but I never make it at home. I just order it at Ruth's Chris.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
I like Creme Brulee.

I also like Flan, but have never made it.  My Creme Brulee came out nice and tasty.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline megimoo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »
That sounds exhausting.  I have only two ramekins left anyway.
Make it in a plain coffee cup,tastes the same and it's bigger !

Offline megimoo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:20 AM »

"Chocolate lined ramekins filled with absolutely sinful creme brulee. Top with fresh berries when in season. Perfect for that special dinner, but easy enough to make everyday!"

PREP TIME    10 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN    6 Hrs 50 Min

INGREDIENTS

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
5 egg yolks

DIRECTIONS

Place about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips into each of four 6 ounce ramekins. Place them in the microwave, and heat on full power for 30 second intervals. Stir, and continue heating until chocolate has melted. Spread to cover the sides and bottom of each ramekin.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk together the cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. Set over medium heat, and warm until steam rises from the surface. Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla. When the cream is hot, ladle a little bit into the egg yolks while whisking quickly. Ladle in a bit more to bring the yolks up to a high temperature without scrambling them. Whisk the yolk mixture into the rest of the cream. Ladle into the chocolate lined ramekins.

Place a towel in the bottom of a baking dish, and place the filled ramekins on top of the towel. Place in the oven, and pour boiling water carefully into the baking dish until it comes half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, just until the custard is set. Remove ramekins from the dish, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.

Before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top of each creme brulee. Use a kitchen torch or your oven's broiler to caramelize the sugar. It may take 2 to 3 minutes in the broiler. Serve immediately.

Creme Brulee is nice but on occasion its a bit too sweet .
For a change try a Semi Bitter Dark Chocolate torte !

Double Chocolate Torte
Ingredients
Cake
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened)
or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Mousse
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

2 cups fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons red currant jelly melted with 1 tablespoon water
Red currant bunches (optional)

For cake:
Preheat oven to 325%F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan; dust with sugar. Melt chocolate and butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm. Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time, blending well after each addition. Mix in vanilla and salt, then flour. Pour batter into pan. Bake until cake just rises in center (tester inserted into center will not come out clean), about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. Cover; chill while making mousse.
For mousse: Melt butter in medium metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Whisk yolks, 1/4 cup cream and vanilla in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk yolk mixture into bowl with melted butter. Whisk constantly over simmering water until thermometer registers 150%F, about 6 minutes (mixture may appear broken). Remove from over water; add chocolate and stir to melt. Set aside. Beat egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl to medium-stiff peaks. Whisk 1/4 of beaten egg white mixture into warm chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg white mixture. Pour mousse over cake in pan; smooth top. Chill torte until mousse is set, at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Run sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen torte. Release pan sides. Transfer torte to platter. Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup cream in medium bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over torte. Top whipped cream with raspberries. Brush red currant jelly mixture over raspberries. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar. Garnish with currants, if desired.

Brown Eyes  Chocolate Walnut Torte
this chocolate nut cake is one of Italy's few chocolate desserts
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups walnuts (about 7 ounces)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
or semisweet chocolate,chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
14 tablespoons sugar
7 large eggs, separated, room temperature

Powdered sugar

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350%F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides. Line bottom with waxed paper round. Finely grind walnuts with flour in processor; set aside. Stir chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove chocolate from over water. Cool chocolate slightly.
Using electric mixer, beat butter and 7 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate. Add yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until smooth and light, about 3 minutes. Mix in ground walnut mixture.

Using electric mixer fitted with clean dry beaters, beat whites in another large bowl until beginning to form soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 7 tablespoons sugar and beat to soft peaks. Stir 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten. Fold in remaining whites.

Or make it in Chocolate lined ramekins !

Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 10 minutes. Run sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides and cool cake completely (cake may fall as it cools). (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)

Transfer cake to platter. Sift powdered sugar over cake. Cut into wedges and serve.

Servings: Serves 10.

Offline megimoo

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:25 AM »

PREP TIME    10 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN    6 Hrs 50 Min

INGREDIENTS

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
5 egg yolks

DIRECTIONS

Passover Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Puree/Sauce

Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Puree ,oy vey!

this flourless torte has an airy soufflé-like texture. The sauce adds a special-occasion touch.
Servings: Makes 10 servings.

or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted kosher-for-Passover
pareve (non-dairy) margarine,or for you goys unsalted butter
8 large egg yolks
1 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
5 large egg whites

Paper doily
Fresh raspberries (optional)
Raspberry Sauce PreparationPreheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with parchment paper. Stir chocolate and margarine in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool until lukewarm.

Using electric mixer, beat yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until pale and very thick, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture in 2 additions and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake torte until crust forms on top and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter and some moist crumbs still attached, about 55 minutes (top may crack). Run small sharp knife around torte to loosen. Cool in pan on rack (torte will fall and crack). Remove pan sides. Invert torte onto platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and store at room temperature.)

Grind 1/3 cup sugar in blender until fine powder forms. Place doily atop torte. Sift ground sugar over doily; gently remove doily. Garnish torte with raspberries, if desired. Serve with Raspberry Sauce.