Author Topic: Herb Garden  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Herb Garden
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Is this the correct forum for this topic?

I'm starting a herb garden this year, late I know, but I have had to put in a retaining wall to build the bed.

What do you grow? I'll be using starts this year, do they winter over in a cold winter?

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Herb Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
I live too far north, so nothing lives.

Keep it simple, keep it basic.  I do about 6-8 herbs, including the following:

Basil
Oregano
Thyme
Cilantro
Dill or Tarragon (whichever you prefer for fish)
Chives
Parsley
Rosemary

And you really don't need anything permanent.  I grow mine in a couple of planters I put on the railing of the deck.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
Sparky's list is a great starter garden. There are several varieties of most herbs, so you can vary the color/texture. Mints are very invasive and will quickly take over the whole garden; grow in pots. Herbs are easy to grow inside too.  I like to add herbs to my rose garden and use creeping thyme along pathways.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
I am in North Texas, and my Chives and Rosemary and Sage winter over.  The oregano dies back every winter and comes right back.  My mint is invincible!  I planted it in my garden.  I have now dug it up and put it in a hanging planter by my front door.  Looks great and smells good. 

AM, what do you do to keep your thyme going?  I have no luck with it, that or tarragon. 

I am going to plant my dill hydroponically so I can keep it all year. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
I give it a drink now &  then and that's it. Here in South TX it doesn't do as well in full sun though. It smells so-o-o good when you walk on it.
Trailing rosemary is nice for path edges too, but it grows taller than thyme. It's especially nice hanging off a balcony or fence.

When it comes to gardening, I sure do miss NC!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
I give it a drink now &  then and that's it. Here in South TX it doesn't do as well in full sun though. It smells so-o-o good when you walk on it.
Trailing rosemary is nice for path edges too, but it grows taller than thyme. It's especially nice hanging off a balcony or fence.

When it comes to gardening, I sure do miss NC!

Apparently it doesn't do well in North Texas either.  Gonna try it on my front porch, that is east-facing with some shade.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
We usually grow Sage, Flat Leaf Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary. Since we make allot of spaghetti I can just go out to the wine barrel (where we grow all the herbs except the Rosemary) grab a few bunches (no Parsley, that's for the chicken goo) and add to tomato sauce.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
Great list folks! Thank you very much!

Now, on to the short season Chilies....

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »
Great list folks! Thank you very much!

Now, on to the short season Chilies....

Got a lot of those...

Jalepenos
Habaneros
Thai Chili
Bhut Jolokia
Black Pearl
Trinidad Scorpian

:-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Throw a tomato plant or two in there for me.  :-)

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
This is very nice! Fresh herbs!  Thank you all again for your suggestions.

(Tomaters growing tooooo..  )