Author Topic: Banjos?  (Read 5675 times)

Offline longview

Banjos?
« on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Any one here play banjo?  We started going to an open jam nearby and one of the kids wants to learn.  I did ask the one player there, but he was talking banjos whose price's rival that of a late model car!  Yikes.

I'm interested in something that has decent fretting, so that it is playable, but not priced in the stratosphere.  Open back?  Closed back?  We play country and gospel.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Banjos?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
I always wanted to learn but never got around to buying one. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
I really LOVE listening to someone good play the banjo (Steve Martin comes to mind).......my wife mocks me mercilessly for this weakness....

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
I always wanted to learn but never got around to buying one. :(

I wanted to play the banjo since I was a kid, but never went through with it. I love the sounds of a banjo - whether it be pickin' and grinnin' or strummin'.

I have some CDs of banjo music.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkl5Fg33d8o&feature=related[/youtube]
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
This is wast I always dreamed to do. Play banjo with a Dixieland band!

Ragtime! Dixieland jazz! Oh, the dreams I had for myself!  :lmao:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWNx7Q8Ylc&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Dx4CX00TwKeN7FRrO1hmuZ[/youtube]

I also enjoy Barbershop Quartets. That probably puts me in my own category here....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:46:06 PM by CG6468 »

Offline longview

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Someone in town called and told us about a decent used beginner one we could get for about $125.  I had them pick it up and we just got it home.  Pretty fun.

Down the road I might get some video.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Someone in town called and told us about a decent used beginner one we could get for about $125.  I had them pick it up and we just got it home.  Pretty fun.

Down the road I might get some video.

I would love to see video once your son (I assume) starts playing.

Offline longview

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
I would love to see video once your son (I assume) starts playing.

Thanks.  A daughter is learning the banjo.  One of the others is starting mandolin, and the third plays violin and fiddle (pretty well).  I had all girls, and now have all grandsons.  We're an organized bunch.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »

Thanks.  A daughter is learning the banjo.  One of the others is starting mandolin, and the third plays violin and fiddle (pretty well).  I had all girls, and now have all grandsons.  We're an organized bunch.

Well a girls makes it even better!

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »

Taylor Swift plays banjo. The only reason I know this is that I have daughters who idolize her.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE&ob=av2e[/youtube]
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
Didn't one of the Dixie Chicks play the banjo? :whistling:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sqishGuYw[/youtube]

This thread might convince me to buy one for myself.  I was considering buying a violin a while back.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VkGWPlK_A8&feature=related[/youtube]

:hyper:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:31:01 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline longview

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:34 AM »
We got a kick out of that Taylor Swift song and video!  Now we're using that line on each other "All your gonna be is mean." 

Daughter likes David Crowder Jesus music with the banjo.  Along with hip-Hope, Christian rock, Christian heavy metal ( :o)...

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
Buy this  http://www.sheffieldlab.com/sheffield.pl?detail=SL10085  it's one of the best recorded albums I've ever heard (as good as Jazz at the Pawnshop). The music is the bomb, too.

Just bought it, my old vinyl version is getting pretty scratchy. The darn thing sounds GOOD (samples) on my computer speakers.    :yahoo:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:59:26 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
I hear the sound still sends Ned Beatty into hiding.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
If you like Banjo - you should hear this friend of mine - Tim Custer.  Met him when I lived in Florida and he was with the "South Ocean String Band".

Tim Custer

Tim has been playing music since age 13 but it has been a part of his life since birth.  "Ever since I can remember there was music surrounding our lives.  My Dad played music and he always made sure that we were able to enjoy it.  I remember as a kid growing up we would spend almost every weekend doing something that involved music. My first memories of enjoying that music was when Dad played at a place called the 'Wagon Shed' in Claysburg, PA.  I would watch the people on stage and pretend I was playing too"!

Tim and his wife Brenda moved to Florida in 1987 and it was at this time that the bluegrass bug bit hard.  Tim joined 'The South Ocean String Band' and spent the next eleven years as the banjoist. "We played all the major festivals in Florida and Georgia.  We recorded two CD's and did various radio and TV appearances.  It was a great time musically because we met and played with so many great artists.  We opened for Allison Krauss and Ricky Skaggs, as well as, 'The Seldom Scene' and others.  We became the 'house band' for the late Mr. Chubby Wise and backed him at several of his Florida performances".

After Tim's Dad passed away, Tim and Brenda moved back home and he became actively involved in bluegrass again with the group 'pickin@bluegrass'. Tim is currently playing with 'Mountain Therapy' a great bluegrass band from the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania area.

Tim is a two time Mid-Atlantic Banjo Champion, winning those championships 2001 & 2002.  He has won the Maryland State Banjo Championship four times in years 2001, 2000, 1979 and 1977.  He also held the Tri-State Banjo Champion titles in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983 and 1985.  He has performed on WWVA's Jamboree USA in Wheeling WV, and at The Opryland Hotel, The Station Inn and The Grand Ole Opry building all in Nashville TN.  He has recorded several CD's and a sound track for a nationally televised Target Store commercial and has played most of the major bluegrass festivals from PA to FL.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7OOC3Vg-Qc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7OOC3Vg-Qc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:44:15 PM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Earl Scruggs passed away this week.  R.I.P.

What does the Washington Post do?  They run a headline about some feminist poet instead.

This is my RSS feed for the Washington Post...
NYT >

Adrienne Rich, 1929-2012: Adrienne Rich, Influential Feminist Poet, Dies at 82
Adrienne Rich, one of the most influential and widely read writers of the feminist movement, took on sexism and racial oppression in her poems and... 
Op-Ed Columnist: Broccoli and Bad Faith
Opinionator: Nature-Deficit Disorder
Op-Ed Columnist: More Guns, Fewer Hoodies
Op-Ed Columnist: From South Sudan to Yale
Books of The Times: ‘Draw It With Your Eyes Closed,’ Edited by Paper Monument
Bees’ Decline Linked to Pesticides, Studies Find
Earl Scruggs, 1924-2012: Earl Scruggs, Bluegrass Banjo Player, Dies at 88;
Rate of Autism Diagnoses Has Climbed, Study Finds

Offline CG6468

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »
You'd expect anything else, Chris?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Adrienne Rich, one of the most influential and widely read writers of the feminist movement

Typical Liberal write up......................even if no one ever heard of her.

I went and read some of her crap.

She was probably a DUmmie
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:56:08 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
I've been getting hooked to bluegrass the last few months. Holding off till I finish training to go out and get a banjo to start learning music again, but I've been listening to this guy a lot:

http://airplaydirect.com/music/waynetaylor/

He's former Navy and apparently there's an official Navy bluegrass band:

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/country_current.shtml

Offline longview

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
Enjoyed the music by both Tim Custer and Wayne Taylor.  Thanks for posting the links.

We're having fun with daughter on banjo and me on guitar.  Today was windy and chilling down, so after chores we practiced and learned some.  Grateful for YouTube.  I'll be going back out to the open jam next Friday, but she has to work.  So she has another three weeks to practice on chord changes, rolls and whatnot so she can join in.

Sure is fun.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I hear the sound still sends Ned Beatty into hiding.
Loved that movie. An instant classic in all respects.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
"Thanks.  A daughter is learning the banjo.  One of the others is starting mandolin, and the third plays violin and fiddle (pretty well).  I had all girls, and now have all grandsons.  We're an organized bunch."

You got a bluegrass band right there!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »
I've been getting hooked to bluegrass the last few months.

Lol! If you guys knew T-Mo like I do, you'd realize how funny this is to me. A VERY well-educated Asian naval aviator and officer that likes bluegrass. BTW, for those that don't know him, there is literally nothing that offends him. He's a tried and true conservative and you're not going to find a bigger patriot. ;-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site