Author Topic: Replacing my tail light bulb  (Read 8942 times)

Offline jendf

Replacing my tail light bulb
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
It took me roughly two hours, a few choice curse words, a chipped fingernail, and a silent plea with the Almighty, but I somehow managed to replace my right rear tail light in my Ford Focus.

May I just say...what a pain in the @#$!

But I feel very accomplished now and I think I might run with this enthusiasm and do some more fix-it projects around the apartment. I usually wait for a kind male friend to help me with such tasks, but who needs men, really?  :-)

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Replacing my tail light bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
It took me roughly two hours, a few choice curse words, a chipped fingernail, and a silent plea with the Almighty, but I somehow managed to replace my right rear tail light in my Ford Focus.

But I feel very accomplished now and I think I might run with this enthusiasm and do some more fix-it projects around the apartment. I usually wait for a kind male friend to help me with such tasks, but who needs men, really?  :-)

If you feel the need to power clean, just drive on over to my house.   :-)

I'm spoiled by working at a dealership.  I just ask one of the guys to do something and it magically gets done...like replacing my windshield wipers.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jendf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:18 PM »

I'm spoiled by working at a dealership.  I just ask one of the guys to do something and it magically gets done...like replacing my windshield wipers.

That's a nice perk to have!

I have my father and my brother-in-law to help out. I have a nice neighbor who can help me. But I always feel like I'm a burden on them. So I try to do at least the "little stuff" when I can. It generally takes me twice as long but I eventually get it.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »
I have my father and my brother-in-law to help out. I have a nice neighbor who can help me. But I always feel like I'm a burden on them. So I try to do at least the "little stuff" when I can. It generally takes me twice as long but I eventually get it.

Oh Hell, you should have seen it last summer, when franksolich decided to install some new venetian blinds on the windows here.

It took me more than a week to get circa 5% of the job done.

And then the ancient elderly gentleman who mows the lawn here came in and finished it, in like twenty minutes.

It's nothing about incompetence; probably I'm just as competent as everybody else; but being a mellow, laid-back, relaxed sort of person, sometimes if one waits long enough, somebody else'll do the job.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »

I'm a little surprised that none of your male neighbors offered to help.  you must live in a liberal apartment complex. :-)

Offline jendf

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »

I'm a little surprised that none of your male neighbors offered to help.  you must live in a liberal apartment complex. :-)

They must have all been sleeping in. I mean I was out there early, like 9 a.m.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »

the guys in repairs must not be as big a jerks as the sales guys.  :wink:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »

It's only a finance manager that's a jerk.  And he no longer acknowledges my existence.   :-)

Actually, I ask this one sales guy, Luis, to "please Luis can you check my tire pressure" or "Please Luis, if you have time can you please put my new windshield wipers on my car" and he takes it to Make Ready and has them do it.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

It's only a finance manager that's a jerk.  And he no longer acknowledges my existence.   :-)

Actually, I ask this one sales guy, Luis, to "please Luis can you check my tire pressure" or "Please Luis, if you have time can you please put my new windshield wipers on my car" and he takes it to Make Ready and has them do it.  :)

we need to do something evil to the finance manager.  gimme a minute. :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »

:jacked:

I can't do anything right now.  I got a talking to this week...apparently someone (Douche or bitch co-worker) complained that I was "being mean."  I think it was bitch-ass co-worker.  She's always trying to stab people in the back or throw them under the bus.  Anything so no one pays attention that she's actually on Myspace all day and not really doing any work.  I've only been mean to Douche, but she knew about it.  He's a douche, but I don't think he's a bitch enough to actually complain to the GM. 

Anywho, I must be extra nice.  So like yesterday, when bitch co-worker was talking about who's going to work what nights to train the new girl, and she said she'd do Wednesday (when she doesn't know the basic program that the receptionist must learn, so she'd actually just be sitting there and not really doing any training) and bitch said "well I know that the day girl isn't going to want to work all day Wednesday b/c she has to work her other job Tuesday night" I just said "fine, whatever you decide."

As of today, I have plans for Wednesday night, so I'm going to try and get out of it.  And I definitely have plans for Thursday, so I can't do it then.  :-)
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:47 PM »

I can't do anything right now.  I got a talking to this week...apparently someone (Douche or bitch co-worker) complained that I was "being mean."  I think it was bitch-ass co-worker.  She's always trying to stab people in the back or throw them under the bus.  Anything so no one pays attention that she's actually on Myspace all day and not really doing any work.  I've only been mean to Douche, but she knew about it.  He's a douche, but I don't think he's a bitch enough to actually complain to the GM. 

Anywho, I must be extra nice.  So like yesterday, when bitch co-worker was talking about who's going to work what nights to train the new girl, and she said she'd do Wednesday (when she doesn't know the basic program that the receptionist must learn, so she'd actually just be sitting there and not really doing any training) and bitch said "well I know that the day girl isn't going to want to work all day Wednesday b/c she has to work her other job Tuesday night" I just said "fine, whatever you decide."

As of today, I have plans for Wednesday night, so I'm going to try and get out of it.  And I definitely have plans for Thursday, so I can't do it then.  :-)

your place of employment should be a sitcom. :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

Well honestly, I knew I would have to work Tuesday night.  But seriously, I don't care that the day receptionist has a night job at a bar.  She's known for two+ weeks that there was going to be a new night girl and that she'd have to be trained.  She should do it Wednesday night.  Anywho, so I think I'm going to go to this deal Wednesday night (I just found out about it last night) and Thursday there's a meeting about the mineral rights for my neighborhood.  Actually there's a mineral rights meeting Tuesday, but obviously I can't go to that one, so I have to go to the one Thursday.  I gots to find out how much money I'm getting.   :-)
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »

They must have all been sleeping in. I mean I was out there early, like 9 a.m.

Way too early.  Try again at 1 or 2.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »

Well honestly, I knew I would have to work Tuesday night.  But seriously, I don't care that the day receptionist has a night job at a bar.  She's known for two+ weeks that there was going to be a new night girl and that she'd have to be trained.  She should do it Wednesday night.  Anywho, so I think I'm going to go to this deal Wednesday night (I just found out about it last night) and Thursday there's a meeting about the mineral rights for my neighborhood.  Actually there's a mineral rights meeting Tuesday, but obviously I can't go to that one, so I have to go to the one Thursday.  I gots to find out how much money I'm getting.   :-)

what, you gots oil in yore land, ellie may? :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »

I live on top of the Barnett Shale.  :)  They already settled with the gas company, so this is an informational meeting.  That kind of stuff, I really have to be there. 
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »

I live on top of the Barnett Shale.  :)  They already settled with the gas company, so this is an informational meeting.  That kind of stuff, I really have to be there. 

Beverly Hillbillies

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

Beverly Hillbillies

I know the Beverly Hillbillies silly.  I should be getting around $4300-$4600 for my mineral rights bonus.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »

Beverly Hillbillies

I know the Beverly Hillbillies silly.  I should be getting around $4300-$4600 for my mineral rights bonus.  :)

I'm not sure how this works.  do you own the property? 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »
It took me roughly two hours, a few choice curse words, a chipped fingernail, and a silent plea with the Almighty, but I somehow managed to replace my right rear tail light in my...... :-)

Every time I have to do that I am constipated for two days.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »

Beverly Hillbillies

Yes, and I own the mineral rights to it.  So they want to get the gas from under all our houses.  So there's a signing bonus.  Then there's monthly royalties. 
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 11:39:39 PM »

Beverly Hillbillies

Yes, and I own the mineral rights to it.  So they want to get the gas from under all our houses.  So there's a signing bonus.  Then there's monthly royalties. 

wow. :bow:

heh.  hold out. 

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 11:43:39 PM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:17:45 AM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Good job Jen!

Things that seem like they should be simple, never turn out that way.

I remember helping a friend change a headlamp bulb on an Escort....it felt like we had to take half the motor out to get to it....now I know why the dealership wanted $45 labor to change it....should of let them!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
I'm looking at buying a '93 BMW 325i.  Why do I have a feeling I'm in for a world of pain?  :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »
I'm looking at buying a '93 BMW 325i.  Why do I have a feeling I'm in for a world of pain?  :rotf:

Expensive parts?