Author Topic: Do you copy music on to your hard drive?  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Do you copy music on to your hard drive?
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »
Better think again before doing so.

Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

Looks like all you IPOD and Zune users could be in trouble.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
Re: Do you copy music on to your hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »

Now, in an unusual case in which an Arizona recipient of an RIAA letter has fought back in court rather than write a check to avoid hefty legal fees, the industry is taking its argument against music sharing one step further: In legal documents in its federal case against Jeffrey Howell, a Scottsdale, Ariz., man who kept a collection of about 2,000 music recordings on his personal computer, the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html

I don't see where they have a hope in hell of making that stick.  They tried the same thing with Cassette tape recorders and VCR's back in the early 80's and got no where with it.  Still, it'll be interesting to see the lengths that the RIAA will go to in order to ruin themselves.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »

so they intend to scrape every bit of money they can--even on different formats? I still say the RIAA continues to pursue this because their hide is chapped when their refusal to implement new technology hurt their industry. If they had been at the forefront, which I am to understand was offered to the 'record' companies, they may have stemmed the tide of this and had more control over downloading situations. What a bunch of goobers and where are the libs to decry their 'greediness'.  ;)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:48:53 AM »

I don't see where they have a hope in hell of making that stick.  They tried the same thing with Cassette tape recorders and VCR's back in the early 80's and got no where with it.  Still, it'll be interesting to see the lengths that the RIAA will go to in order to ruin themselves.

One difference between sharing files on a computer and taping a friend's LP they can track you when you download or upload songs.

Hopefully the courts will tell the RIAA they are full of shit because if you do not distribute the recordings you can do what you please with them.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
I ALWAYS copy my purchased CDs to my hard drive. This enables me to have a back up in case the CD gets scratched or otherwise unusable. It also enables me to create my own mixes of music on a CD. How many commercial CDs from one artist are jammed with "filler"?? They did the same with LPs and cassettes. I DO try to find "The Best of......" CDs. Even then, I may not feel like listening to that artist for an entire hour.

I also feel that once a person owns that CD or DVD, they should be able to do with it what they want as long as they aren't doing the file sharing thing.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »
I ALWAYS copy my purchased CDs to my hard drive. This enables me to have a back up in case the CD gets scratched or otherwise unusable. It also enables me to create my own mixes of music on a CD. How many commercial CDs from one artist are jammed with "filler"?? They did the same with LPs and cassettes. I DO try to find "The Best of......" CDs. Even then, I may not feel like listening to that artist for an entire hour.

I also feel that once a person owns that CD or DVD, they should be able to do with it what they want as long as they aren't doing the file sharing thing.

I'm tellin'.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
I have no intention of sharing what I've ripped to my Zune.  Also, I don't think it is necessary for me to RE-purchase the mp3 version of an album I already own.  That just goes to show how greedy and desperate the RIAA is.

The RIAA doesn't stand a chance.  They may be able to get him for the Kazaa use, though.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:54 PM »
Just a thought, but I think the RIAA vs. Diamond case from a few years ago may damage this current case the RIAA is trying to bring against Howell.

I
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
IMO, if the music and movie industry wants to give a free replacement of damaged CDs and DVDs or give free music ripped to MP3 format, then there would be no reason to rip a copy of anything.One answer would be to include an MP3 CD with the CD Audio disk or force the industries to totally convert to MP3.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
Guess I'm guilty of breaking the law then.  I copy everyone of my CD's to my computer.  I don't "reproduce" them at all, just store them on the comp incase I lose the CD.  I'd love the music industry to come after me though.  They've lost exactly 0 dollars from me for doing what I do.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
IMO, if the music and movie industry wants to give a free replacement of damaged CDs and DVDs or give free music ripped to MP3 format, then there would be no reason to rip a copy of anything.One answer would be to include an MP3 CD with the CD Audio disk or force the industries to totally convert to MP3.

That's not a bad idea. :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »
I posted thsi at a few other boards i belong too. Because of this,I will no longer buy any cds that will give money directly to the Record Companies. That means I'll buy them second hand,borrow them or use the local library.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
I posted thsi at a few other boards i belong too. Because of this,I will no longer buy any cds that will give money directly to the Record Companies. That means I'll buy them second hand,borrow them or use the local library.

Even though the record companies make the majority of the money, that kind of cheats the songwriters, musicians, and artists out of their cut. Some of the more savvy artists are selling tunes on their own sites. I kind of like that because most CDs maybe have three or four songs I like well enough to want to listen to them. I don't have a problem paying a $1/ song as long as the lion's share goes to the actual band/ artists/ songwriters. The only problem with that is that sometimes one misses out on some good tunes.

Offline Flame

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
Geez...we make copies of most of our CD's, so each of the kids can have their own copy and I don't have to listen to the fighting over who gets to listen to what in their room!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
Flame, I have all my CDs ripped to MP3s and stored on a server hard drive. The whole house is networked. That way, anyone with a computer in the house or garage can access any music file. I have one PC hooked up to a stereo. Or, they can choose certain music files and burn them to a CD for use in their vehicle.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »
Flame, I have all my CDs ripped to MP3s and stored on a server hard drive. The whole house is networked. That way, anyone with a computer in the house or garage can access any music file. I have one PC hooked up to a stereo. Or, they can choose certain music files and burn them to a CD for use in their vehicle.

You won't be when I rat you out, you criminal.  :evillaugh:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
I always thought that copying the CD on to your hard drive (or iPod, for that matter) for personal use was perfectly legal. Huh.

Really, though, the CD is quickly going the way of the 8-track anyway. Why shell out 15 bucks for a CD when I can get the two or three songs I want from iTunes, or the entire album for $10?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
The "presumed ripoff" tax on VHS tapes didn't fly -- this won't either.  They are just throwing their underwear against the wall in hopes it will stick.

I bought the music and will be damned if I can't play it on any medium I choose.