Author Topic: Economic Prosperity  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Zeus

Economic Prosperity
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
North Dakota economy Booms, population soars

North Dakota, the state with the nation's lowest unemployment rate, capped a decade of economic prosperity with dramatic population growth in its biggest cities.....

The superstar of North Dakota is its economy. The state's unemployment rate hasn't touched 5% since 1987. The state's per capita income rose over the decade from 38th in the nation to 17th, the biggest advance of any state..........

North Dakota is enjoying an oil boom in the western part of the state, drawing workers from across the country. Williston, in oil country, grew 17.6% to 14,716. The oil windfall has created a $1 billion state budget surplus.

Agriculture — 90% of the state's area is used for farms and ranches — is productive and profitable, making the state a top exporter of wheat and other crops. Federal agriculture subsidies add nearly $1 billion a year.

North Dakota is one of the few states to add manufacturing jobs over the decade. Bobcat, maker of farm and construction equipment, is headquartered in the state.

coincidently. Govs of ND the past 3 decades

28   Allen I. Olson   January 6, 1981–January 1, 1985           Republican   
29   George A. Sinner   January 1, 1985–December 15, 1992   Democratic-NPL   
30   Ed Schafer           December 15, 1992–December 15, 2000   Republican   
31   John Hoeven   December 15, 2000–December 7, 2010   Republican   
32   Jack Dalrymple   December 7, 2010–                           Republican

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Economic Prosperity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
Nice, but who besides Aleuts, polar bears, and Inuits can live there?

IASSAFTOCAW.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »
Nice, but who besides Aleuts, polar bears, and Inuits can live there?

IASSAFTOCAW.

Icelanders , Swedes, Norwegians , Germans  and assorted other white peoples. The State is the least racially diversified State with about 90% of the population white.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:50:05 AM »

Icelanders , Swedes, Norwegians , Germans  and assorted other white peoples. The State is the least racially diversified State with about 90% of the population white.

I guess I forgot my [sarcasm] smiley.

In honor of Tots, the acronym I provided was "I Am So Sick And ****ing Tired Of Cold-Ass Weather". I have no doubt that the economic conditions in ND are favorable for all the reasons that were posted, but damn, when you've got 9 months of winter followed by 3 months of recovering/preparing for winter, that precludes a lot of people from participating in said economic boom -- myself included.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

Ya, shure!  :-)
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:29 AM »
I guess I forgot my [sarcasm] smiley.

In honor of Tots, the acronym I provided was "I Am So Sick And ****ing Tired Of Cold-Ass Weather". I have no doubt that the economic conditions in ND are favorable for all the reasons that were posted, but damn, when you've got 9 months of winter followed by 3 months of recovering/preparing for winter, that precludes a lot of people from participating in said economic boom -- myself included.

LOL. I live in Texas now have since '88. because IASSAFTOCAW  and I ain't smiling.

I just found it interesting that little state with such outstanding economic figures has had all Republican Governors for the past 30 yrs, except for 1 Dem & he is more conservative than most republicans. hard to pass that off as coincidence.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
LOL. I live in Texas now have since '88. because IASSAFTOCAW  and I ain't smiling.

I just found it interesting that little state with such outstanding economic figures has had all Republican Governors for the past 30 yrs, except for 1 Dem & he is more conservative than most republicans. hard to pass that off as coincidence.

There can be no doubt that Republican leadership, extolling fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, combined with some of the nicer things (oil shale revenue, for example) played a part. Unfortunately, ND has this refrigerator/freezer stigma that keeps it from being a hotbed of tourism activity.  :p

We should cite ND's performance more often as an example of how a state can rise above the rest of the nanny states and bring prosperity to its people.  :cheersmate:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
There can be no doubt that Republican leadership, extolling fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, combined with some of the nicer things (oil shale revenue, for example) played a part. Unfortunately, ND has this refrigerator/freezer stigma that keeps it from being a hotbed of tourism activity.  :p

We should cite ND's performance more often as an example of how a state can rise above the rest of the nanny states and bring prosperity to its people.  :cheersmate:

Not always, Euph. We spent some time in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in ND once. It was a nice place. We were not alone there, either.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
Not always, Euph. We spent some time in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in ND once. It was a nice place. We were not alone there, either.

To a certain degree Euph is right. The majority of ND tourists  are drawn to the area because of relatives ,current or ancestral.

In the area in which I grew up is a little town called Mountain, pop of about 75 people. yet every year on the celebration of the duce of August,the historical migration of Icelanders to the area from Canada and other parts of the country that little town sees about 5 to 6 K people come to the area from all over the world. The president of Iceland has even come a few times.

I have known of folks from places like New York or California that have come to see just whats up and have fallen in love with the country  & people and stayed.

You got to see it to believe it.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »

There were gophers.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Zeus

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
There were gophers.

Sure Folks from Minnesota are welcome.  ::)  Hockey reference

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
Sure Folks from Minnesota are welcome.  ::)  Hockey reference
ND is just a drive-over** state for us Minnesotans on our way to yellowstone... :fuelfire:

(**not so vague reference to the fly-over term)

Offline CG6468

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
Lots of Swedes, Norwegians and Danes up dere. Trouble is, ND isn't "on the way" to anything else. It's a specific destination, and youse have to want to go dere. Dere's also nuttin' to stop the damned west winds until you get to the extreme western end of the state. Winds coming from the north also find wide open spaces.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
Lots of Swedes, Norwegians and Danes up dere. Trouble is, ND isn't "on the way" to anything else. It's a specific destination, and youse have to want to go dere. Dere's also nuttin' to stop the damned west winds until you get to the extreme western end of the state. Winds coming from the north also find wide open spaces.

If they would ship all that damn snow back to Canada were it came from I might visit more often.  O-)