Author Topic: Obama admin just laid off 35,000 workers...with more to come  (Read 1712 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Obama admin just laid off 35,000 workers...with more to come
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

This thread is chock full of nutty nadin goodness. ( and any number of other well known DUmmies)

Enjoy. :cheersmate:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002348926

brentspeak (15,944 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Obama admin just laid off 35,000 workers...with more to come
That is because Obama's hand-selected Postmaster General, Patrick Donahoe, just announced the closing and consolidation of over 200 mail processing centers around the country.

More layoffs are in the works, as are closings of more post offices from around the nation.

And then there is the inevitable economy-killing effects that always accompanies the loss of local post offices which serve as small towns' only real business hub. Not to mention that small businesses around the nation which rely on speedy, low-cost USPS package delivery to stay competitive will be severely harmed by the almost-certain delays of a weakened postal service. Saturday delivery, too, might be eliminated (Obama has specifically requested this.

{snip}

brevity is the sole of wit and there aren't to many witty folk at the DUmp!!

This is a major blaze so it is best to paddle over to read it all.  Here is a single nads quote

nadinbrzezinski (101,939 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

76. Really? How so?

How many companies, or government services are required to prefund retirement for people NOT YET BORN?

There is lots more nadin in the thread. 

The general tenor of comments is that Bush and the Evil Republicans hoodwinked the innocent dimocrats and unions into this.

geek tragedy (18,868 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

88. Who needs Republicans when we have Democrats willing to lie about Obama.

As noted in the comments, this guy was appointed by a bunch of people who were themselves appointed.

This dishonest post should be locked.
Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response to brentspeak (Original post)
Sat Feb 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
DevonRex (16,422 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

97. This is serious misinformation.

Those of us who pay attention know that the Republicans did this. Nice try to blame it on Obama tho. But you'll have to try a LOT harder if you're gonna get actual informed people to believe this swill. 

Use to be the Post Office was one of the highest paying civil service jobs you could get with a just high school diploma.  :popcorn:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
Re: Obama admin just laid off 35,000 workers...with more to come
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »
I just don't get the DUmmies.  They call themselves "progressive", yet they fail to appreciate progress.

Here is some info for the DUmmie lurkers to take back to the hive that I "Nadined"
 http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cj31n1/cj31n1-9.pdf

Employing about 656,000 workers and 260,000 vehicles and operating about 38,000 facilities nationwide, the USPS is the second-largest civilian employer in the United States, after Wal-Mart. If the USPS was a private sector company, it would rank 28th in the 2009 Fortune 500 (U.S. Postal Service 2010)

The USPS is proud of its efficiency gains. For example, 10 years ago it took 70 employees one hour to sort 35,000 letters. Today in an hour, only two employees process an identical volume of mail.

It also reminds Americans that its services are a global bargain. For example, a 2010 first-class letter mailed in the United States costs 44 cents. The same letter mailed in other countries would cost (in equivalent prices in U.S. dollars) 47 cents in Canada, 64 cents in Great Britain, 77 cents in Germany, 83 cents in Japan, and $1.25 in Norway.
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
The OP DUche forgot the first rule of Liberalism.

In any given action, if it is good then a donk did it. If it is evil a republican did it.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline andhe78

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
I skimmed down through the campfire and was surprised at one issue that seemed to keep popping up-rural delivery by UPS and FedEx.  Is this something that these two companies are going to stop doing?  We live way out in the sticks, dirt road, half mile driveway, forty minute drive to the nearest town, the whole nine yards, and both UPS and FedEx have always delivered.  Is this going to change, because I seriously hate shipping through the mail, my mail carrier won't even bring a box out, just a note telling me to go the the post office.  The other guys will bring a box to my front door, even when the road is so chewed up it looks like a cow track.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
Tough decision for Obama.  Can he hide the numbers being laid off so unemployment doesn't go up, yet claim credit for shrinking the size of the federal government by 35K?

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
Tough decision for Obama.  Can he hide the numbers being laid off so unemployment doesn't go up, yet claim credit for shrinking the size of the federal government by 35K?
That's one of the reasons the owebuma inaction figure is such a best seller. the sleight of hand job left hand. By Mattel.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:50 PM »
I skimmed down through the campfire and was surprised at one issue that seemed to keep popping up-rural delivery by UPS and FedEx.  Is this something that these two companies are going to stop doing?  We live way out in the sticks, dirt road, half mile driveway, forty minute drive to the nearest town, the whole nine yards, and both UPS and FedEx have always delivered.  Is this going to change, because I seriously hate shipping through the mail, my mail carrier won't even bring a box out, just a note telling me to go the the post office.  The other guys will bring a box to my front door, even when the road is so chewed up it looks like a cow track.

Fed Ex and UPS have contracted with USPS to deliver some of their parcels "out in the boonies".  I work for the USPS, and I've had my car in some places it really shouldn't have gone.  As a general rule, if your house is within 1/2 mile of the mailbox, it is "recommended" that we deliver it.

FWIW, my mail carrier is about as useless as yours.  I live less than 100 yards from my box, and my carrier won't bring it to my house, citing my "road is too bad, (nevermind the fact I drive that same road every single day!), or "I have dogs" (3 "wieners", all inside the house).

I got tired of listening to her excuses, so I just put up the biggest mailbox I could find.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline longview

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »
I feel badly for those who will lose their jobs.  But, I understand the downsizing, too.  I hardly think a president has caused the increased use of the internet for emails, teleconferencing, the acceptance of faxed signatures, and the like. 

Honestly I'd be fine with three day a week delivery or even two.  I've gone to using FedEx for parcel delivery for some of the same reasons others have mentioned.  USPS won't drop things off.  Here they won't even bring it out to a super-sized mailbox.  Kind of unhandy.  Our UPS and FedEx folks will.  During holidays they catch quite a few of us at the school for whatever is going on.  Or one of the churches.  I bet they've caught a customer at the bar, but not sure.  I have some neighbors who will get stuff dropped at my house to save the guys some miles.  Very accomodating.  Most likely has to due to being less regulated than the USPS.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
I see Nadin is throwing her generous weight around on that thread about her job as cub reporter for the East County Gazette.  I wonder if she wears a hat with a homemade "press" tag sticking out of it. 

Can someone photoshop that? 

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
I see Nadin is throwing her generous weight around on that thread about her job as cub reporter for the East County Gazette.  I wonder if she wears a hat with a homemade "press" tag sticking out of it. 

Reminds me of a Three Stooges episode.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
nadinbrzezinski

84. You welcome

And yes that has been the case.

These days the lead man on this is Darell Issa, he is from my county.

His war on the middle class, and women, is well known

Problem is the media (and these days I am one) is part of the problem.

What do you think would be the reaction of most Americans if these facts were presented?

Here is a funny story, the other day I covered the debate between the four leading candidates for California Congressional District 52. When I mentioned I had an afternoon of fact checking ahead of me, my fellow media critters looked shocked.

What a stupid bitch.  :rofl:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »

Fairly easy.
Just don't know to post the pic after I'm done.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

I didn't read the thread, but the whole UPS/FedEx thing is pretty much an apples-and-oranges comparison vs. USPS, since the commercial services won't do squat for 44 cents per item, what they do is more like Priority Mail and Express Mail and generally a somewhat more expensive version of them at that.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
I didn't read the thread, but the whole UPS/FedEx thing is pretty much an apples-and-oranges comparison vs. USPS, since the commercial services won't do squat for 44 cents per item, what they do is more like Priority Mail and Express Mail and generally a somewhat more expensive version of them at that.

I have to agree with you on the apples and oranges.  I would really not like to pay Fedex prices for a regular mail service; however, I have used their service (Fedex) when it was necessary and involved time sensitive items of great value. 

My first computer (American Made in SC IMSM) had to be shipped UPS.  I don't remember if USPS didn't ship that type material or what the reason was but it was a pain.  I had to arrange to have the UPS guy drop it off at the local store where someone could sign for it. (1986).  I was single and there was no way I was home to accept deliverydur9ing the day nor would I be able to get to their center to pick it up after work.

It is my understanding this current round is only taking out excess capacity at distribution and processing centers. Anyone know if this is correct?
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
I have to agree with you on the apples and oranges.  I would really not like to pay Fedex prices for a regular mail service; however, I have used their service (Fedex) when it was necessary and involved time sensitive items of great value. 

Oh, I completely agree with that, I've certainly used all three for different things myself.  For shipping out the stuff I make and sell from my rural address, though, the commercial services can't lay a finger on USPS Flat Rate Priority mailers.

I can't speak for the plan as a whole, but where I live there is one of the offices that will be closed a few miles away (Which probably is the closest to me, but not the one the rural delivery driver who does my mailbox works out of) and another one to be closed farther out but still in my area.  There are a couple of other small one in different directions within maybe a 10-mile circle that are not being closed.  Within a 15-mile radius, there is the modestly-larger one that the carriers work from in one direction, and the main PO at the county seat in the other.  I don't see the closures having any significant economic effect on this particular rural area, of course some people will be pissed off over their towns being the losers, and the postmasters themselves will lose out (I don't think either of them in my area has other employees besides the PM).

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »

Yeah Tank, but we're not payin' for everyone else to get their mail if we use FedEx or UPS! I don't mind payin' for what I want delivered, but it pisses me off that I have to pay for DUmmies to get their mail!!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »
Aren't those union jobs?

:fuelfire:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »
nadinbrzezinski

84. You welcome

And yes that has been the case.

These days the lead man on this is Darell Issa, he is from my county.

His war on the middle class, and women, is well known

Problem is the media (and these days I am one) is part of the problem.

What do you think would be the reaction of most Americans if these facts were presented?

Here is a funny story, the other day I covered the debate between the four leading candidates for California Congressional District 52. When I mentioned I had an afternoon of fact checking ahead of me, my fellow media critters looked shocked.
He is from Cleveland you moron!
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Yeah Tank, but we're not payin' for everyone else to get their mail if we use FedEx or UPS!

You aren't now, actually.  If the USPS could actually charge what the mail really costs, and was run by the same accounting rules that apply to private sector businesses without Congressional "Help," there wouldn't be a problem, and you'd still be sending first class mail for a tenth of what it would cost a deliver-to-order service would have to have.  But, for different reasons, both the Democrats and Repuplicans in Congress are more interested in keeping it ****ed up for purposes of making political hay than either of them is in actually fixing it.