Author Topic: $2.99 a gallon for three years  (Read 6955 times)

Offline RobJohnson

$2.99 a gallon for three years
« on: May 08, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
Buyers of a Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge can fill up for $2.99 a gallon for three years.
Remember when the prospect of $3.00-gallon gasoline was supposed to cue the death knell for the domestic auto industry? Now the prospect of keeping $3.00 as a ceiling price is being used by Chrysler as in incentive to sell its cars.

Chrysler is hoping to jumpstart its faltering sales by guaranteeing customers they won't have to pay more than $2.99 per gallon for most of the gas they use in their new Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep for the next three years in an innovative new program that starts May 7 and runs through June 2.

"We want to give our customers peace of mind,” said Chrysler vice chairman Jim Press as he rolled out the new program during a conference call with reporters. “One of the things that is weighing on the minds of customers is the volatility of the price of gasoline.”

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/565/chrysler-offers-gas-card-as-incentive/;_ylc=X3oDMTE0czZzZjBqBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNnYXMtY2FyZA--

I would hope that $3 a gallon was not here to stay in the first place.

Offline Lacarnut

Re: $2.99 a gallon for three years
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
Buyers of a Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge can fill up for $2.99 a gallon for three years.
Remember when the prospect of $3.00-gallon gasoline was supposed to cue the death knell for the domestic auto industry? Now the prospect of keeping $3.00 as a ceiling price is being used by Chrysler as in incentive to sell its cars.

Chrysler is hoping to jumpstart its faltering sales by guaranteeing customers they won't have to pay more than $2.99 per gallon for most of the gas they use in their new Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep for the next three years in an innovative new program that starts May 7 and runs through June 2.

This incentive has been tried in the past & it did not boost sales. Might work this time though.

Gassed up my car today; fillup  cost 60 bucks @ $3.85 per gal.for prem. 

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:02:35 PM »
i hit 85 dollars last week and the pump shut off automatically. that is a record for me..

i would appreciate the president coming out publically to explain to the country how the gas taxes have risen so high since the Dems took over Congress two years ago.

that would help the lefties figure this out.

maybe..

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
i hit 85 dollars last week and the pump shut off automatically. that is a record for me..

i would appreciate the president coming out publically to explain to the country how the gas taxes have risen so high since the Dems took over Congress two years ago.

maybe..

Ouch $85....

Good point about the dems in Congress....the DUmmies never mention them.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
So let's do some math here...

According to the OP Article:

Thus, if the vehicle gets 28 miles per gallon, the customer will be able to purchase 428.5 gallons of gasoline at the program price

That is a cap. Assuming even $5.00 a gallon, that means the incentive program is a whopping $2,000 -- and amortized across 3 years!  I get a minimum 2 grand off the price the moment I walk in the door (well, the last 4 new cars I bought anyway). 

This is emotion over logic and for saps. I mean 2 grand is 2 grand but why not just give a $2, 000 rebate? Because people are stupid.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:23:21 AM »

maybe..

Ouch $85....

yeah, it is high and i have stopped driving as much as i used to. i can make it last about two weeks, which i think is fine.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
For many years, I was guilty of living from pay day to pay day and not saving for a rainy day. My parents tried to teach me but I spent like there was no tomorrow. For example, I bought 5 new cars in a 3 year period. Totaled two of them and did not like the other two. With high gas prices people need to examine their spending and saving habits.

Read an article about the large increase in borrowing last month in comparison to amounts borrowed in April. I guess many people went hog ass when they found out that they were getting that rebate check.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
For many years, I was guilty of living from pay day to pay day and not saving for a rainy day. My parents tried to teach me but I spent like there was no tomorrow.

I can relate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 11:39:53 AM »

maybe..

I seen a sign on a gas pump yesterday that when using most credit cards the pump will stop at $75...but with Visa at only $50...it was letting people know they might have to have more then on transaction at the pump, or they should select "pay at window"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
I think if people would just start driving 60 mph or less they would see huge savings plus as a country would would stop using as much fuel.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I think if people would just start driving 60 mph or less they would see huge savings plus as a country would would stop using as much fuel.

Correct, but let it be the personal decision of each one of us....not passing some ridiculous 55 mph speed limit like last time that resulted in being only a revenue generating machine for law enforcement......

doc

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »
can somebody show me where the Dem congress has increased Federal Gas taxes $1.25 per gallon ?? (increase we've seen in gas these past 8 months or so)

and as to Chrysler ..... go F**K YOURSELF !!

I just bought a 13 year old Honda Van ($1700) that prolly still runs better than your crap...and gets better mpg & seats more people...

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »
can somebody show me where the Dem congress has increased Federal Gas taxes $1.25 per gallon ?? (increase we've seen in gas these past 8 months or so)

I just bought a 13 year old Honda Van ($1700) that prolly still runs better than your crap...and gets better mpg & seats more people...

:lmao:

Good to see ya Johnny!

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
I can't remember the last time I drove 55 on a highway. Who does?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
I can't remember the last time I drove 55 on a highway. Who does?
You would remember by everyone running up on your ass, flashing their lights, honking and then flipping you off when they finally pass.

Pretty easy to remember ;)

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

Congress could eliminate the subsidy on Ethanol and the huge tax breaks to manufacturer's. Step #2 import that crap from Brazil which is much cheaper and ship it to the northeast and west coast. Cease making so many formulations of gasoline. Step#3 Drill in Anwar and on the east & west coast outer continental shelf, more nuke plants and refineries. Step#4 Slash in half the Feds & State gasoline tax. Eliminate the lease payments that the oil companies pay to the Fed. gov. each and every year. Step#5 Kill off all the Env. wackoos.

Do those thing and gasoline will be $1.25 or more cheaper and our dependence on foreign oil wil greatly decrease. Another added benefit will be that food prices will become cheaper. Make no mistake, our food prices are getting ready to go way up.

JCC--buy some stock in oil companies and then when the price goes up, you do a yee haw.  :-)

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »
this thread is already old news...

Suzuki is now offering 0% finance and FREE gas all summer on their cars...

AND their cars get twice as good gas mileage as chryslers garbage...

no point in discounting your top end crap chrysler.....

save your profit margins & target people with money &/or old people that won't buy anything but chrysler, buick or caddi's (they'll be alive another few years...hurry up !!)

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »

save your profit margins & target people with money &/or old people that won't buy anything but chrysler, buick or caddi's (they'll be alive another few years...hurry up !!)

Buy some oil stocks (not Exxon, Chevron or BP) and then you will not have to worry about gas prices. Those drillers in the good old USA are the ones that's stock has soared. 

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »

Buy some oil stocks (not Exxon, Chevron or BP) and then you will not have to worry about gas prices. Those drillers in the good old USA are the ones that's stock has soared. 

what goes up, must come down my friend...

and if the middle working class economy tanks, so does my business & my families health....

I don't care how much money I may make off of oil stocks, because it will never be enough to offset the damage it will do to this countries infrustructure...

plan on oil stocks collapsing very soon.....

the oil bubble will burst & the oil queers at the top will be enjoying all  the money you've invested in stocks, & at the pumps

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »

I think it is.  Higher demand around the world chasing the same supply, and the demand is being met so no reason to increase production.  And as much as it would be nice, it's unlikely we'll be drilling in the USA anytime soon.  If fuel prices reach too high of a point people will refuse to buy it, and there's no reason to pump oil if no one's buying it, so the market will determine price.  But I'm guessing most people will pay $3/gallon.  They won't like it, but they'll pay it and not reduce their driving that much over when it was $1.  I mean, if gas went down to $1 would I drive 3 times as much?  Not really.  So if I'm willing to drive at $3 then it'll probably stay at $3.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline West Coaster

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »

maybe..

Federal gas taxes have remained constant at 18.4 cents per gallon since October 1, 1993 with one brief, miniscule drop to 18.3 during that period.

http://www.artba.org/economics_research/reports/gas_tax_history.htm
When we were at peace, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now there's a war, so Democrats want to raise taxes. When there was a surplus, Democrats wanted to raise taxes. Now that there is a mild recession, Democrats want to raise taxes.
-Ann Coulter

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
So let's do some math here...

According to the OP Article:

Thus, if the vehicle gets 28 miles per gallon, the customer will be able to purchase 428.5 gallons of gasoline at the program price

That is a cap. Assuming even $5.00 a gallon, that means the incentive program is a whopping $2,000 -- and amortized across 3 years!  I get a minimum 2 grand off the price the moment I walk in the door (well, the last 4 new cars I bought anyway). 

This is emotion over logic and for saps. I mean 2 grand is 2 grand but why not just give a $2, 000 rebate? Because people are stupid.

Which is what I got (and more) when I bought my Jeep.  Face it, it **sounds** good, which is what gets people in the door.

Frankly, I'd go for the gun myself....
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

what goes up, must come down my friend...

and if the middle working class economy tanks, so does my business & my families health....

I don't care how much money I may make off of oil stocks, because it will never be enough to offset the damage it will do to this countries infrustructure...

plan on oil stocks collapsing very soon.....

the oil bubble will burst & the oil queers at the top will be enjoying all  the money you've invested in stocks, & at the pumps

I think the price of oil will keep going up until demand goes down. If Congress does stupid cr@p like they do with sin taxes, you could see gas prices in the 6 to 7 dollar range.

My investments are in med. sized domestic oil companies whose stocks are going thru the roof. Exxon's stock is down 7% for the year. Their production is lower this year than for the same period last year. The big oil companies that drill overseas in the M.E. and Africa are paid by how many barrels they extract from the ground. Price to them is meaningless. Additonally, these unfriendly countries keep wanting to negotiate the oil company's take downward. That's why Exxon pulled out of Venezuela.