Author Topic: I think I've seen everything now . . .  (Read 2521 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I think I've seen everything now . . .
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
Using wood to charge cell phones/laptops/netbooks . . .  :fuelfire:

http://biolite.myshopify.com/

So, now you can cook a meal, stay warm, and charge your cell phone all with one fuel source--wood! :thatsright:

:fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

Re: I think I've seen everything now . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Have fun. Like a campfire, you can sit around the CampStove and watch the flames dance as you roast marshmallows and tell stories with friends.

Packed size: 8.25 x 5"
· Weight: 2 Lbs 1 oz  /  935 grams

WTF? 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
A thermocouple, basically, attached to the side of a twigs-'n'-sticks backpack stove.  The tthermocouple, a type of ransducer, is just a large version of the temp sending unit in a gas stove or furnace.  The simplest form is two wires of different alloys that are in physical contact where the heat is applied, electrons flow between them in one direction when they are heated, producing current (in most applications, enough to operate the temperature guage).  There are particular combinations of alloys that the engineers who design these use, they have to not only maximize the flow but both metal have to be relatively corrosion-proof and easily withstand the heat range for the source that will be applied.

Not so sure about this, they applications demand a pretty high output for a thermocouple, and they would also require a pretty prolonged time with a sustained heat to accomplish the charging, even if the output was up to it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:40 AM »
A thermocouple, basically, attached to the side of a twigs-'n'-sticks backpack stove.  The tthermocouple, a type of ransducer, is just a large version of the temp sending unit in a gas stove or furnace.  The simplest form is two wires of different alloys that are in physical contact where the heat is applied, electrons flow between them in one direction when they are heated, producing current (in most applications, enough to operate the temperature guage).  There are particular combinations of alloys that the engineers who design these use, they have to not only maximize the flow but both metal have to be relatively corrosion-proof and easily withstand the heat range for the source that will be applied.

Not so sure about this, they applications demand a pretty high output for a thermocouple, and they would also require a pretty prolonged time with a sustained heat to accomplish the charging, even if the output was up to it.

Back in the day, the Army and Navy used to use radiothermocouple generators: that is, a thermocouple strapped onto a uranium pile.  Apparently it was a fairly compact and reliable way to generate electricity (up to 1MW capacity, according to the stuff I read about them as a kid) in places where getting reliable stocks of fuel oil for a generator was a bit problematic (like the Antarctic).
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:53 AM »

WTF? 

I'm thinking about getting one just to see how well it works.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
I have been thinking of a way to hook up a TEG to my wood stove. The problem being a way to keep the cool side cool. So far my idea requires cutting holes in the wall to the outside and the wife wont go for it! I do wish I had an outside wood boiler. If I did I would have some hooked up by now.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"