Author Topic: Camping trailers  (Read 10420 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Camping trailers
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
Here's what we're towing around now, without the A/C.

I like both that and the A frame.  There are also some solid side crank ups that are nice too.  Camped next to a real nice one at Gettysburg one year.  What is nice about hard side crank ups is no wet canvas to worry about drying out when it (always) rains the day you get ready to go home. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline CG6468

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
I like both that and the A frame.  There are also some solid side crank ups that are nice too.  Camped next to a real nice one at Gettysburg one year.  What is nice about hard side crank ups is no wet canvas to worry about drying out when it (always) rains the day you get ready to go home. 

That's how this A-Frame is, too.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »
In 1976 we were relatively new to camping and ended up camped next to a group of rowdy drunks on a Saturday night.  Sunday moning bright and early I made a pot of coffee and a nice pan of bacon being careful not to avoid making noise.  Of course there is nothing like the smell of fresh coffee and bacon first thing in the morning when you have a bit of a snout full and really want to sleep.  And after the first strained gag it was all over.  Kind of like chumming fish. :cheersmate:   When you go to bed at 1:30 to 2:30, breakfast at 5:30 is not what you want to smell.

Darn Zeit, that is my favorite thing about camping, watching the sun rise, perhaps early morning fog clearing off a lake and the smell of bacon and eggs frying.  The smells of coffee perking, none of that instant crap.

I seldom used the stove in my camper unless it was raining or snowing out, Yes we did camp in the winter and I LOVED it.

Kids could not wait to get out and search for deer or moose tracks or little varmints foot prints.  Biggest plus for me was the --BEARS---were sleeping,  Lord I HATE bears. 

Lately the Canadan Wolves are headed south and there have been reported sightings of Lions that have not been seen in 80+  years,  Last one killed in my area had to have been in the 1920's   they are back.  Only one I have ever seen is a mangy stuffed CAT at a small museum a couple towns over.   IIRC, the cat was killed in the early 1900's about 20 miles from my home today.

Winter camping has more signs of wild life then summer camping, Summers one seldom sees the Critters but winters with the snow one can find and see their Scat and foot prints.   Deciduous trees have lost their leaves and one can just look up into the bare branches to see the birds nests of all sizes and shapes.

I do enjoy a couple weeks of camping in the summer but it is the winter camping, ice fishing and ice racing, and all the drunks are inside their campers or tents and there is a stillness and quiet that is to be appreciated and valued.

Forgot to mention the snowmobile races and the dog sleds competitions.   

This brings up a question here for me, not that far up the road there has for years  been a Nudest camp with people living there year round, what does a Nudest do when the lake freezes over ????

The Bears are sleeping, so are the Bares sleeping too????

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

This brings up a question here for me, not that far up the road there has for years  been a Nudest camp with people living there year round, what does a Nudest do when the lake freezes over ????

The Bears are sleeping, so are the Bares sleeping too????

My guess is they slide on the ice.

Here is a great location for your Obama Stay-cation.  If you have never been I am guessing you will enjoy a day walking around. 

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/wildlifepark/index.htm

We always try and stop by when we are in the area but it is worth a trip just to see all the animals if you have never been.  It is a straight shot up the Maine Turnpike to the Gray exit ( which is one of the few things I give Maine credit for, it is a nice road).  Makes a great day trip.

They did have a mountain lion one time when we stopped in.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
Got the call today. The new popup hard side is at the dealer. I made arrangements to pick it up on 4/2, after my truck is fixed.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 11:20:19 AM »
Quote from vesta...

"This brings up a question here for me, not that far up the road there has for years  been a Nudest camp with people living there year round, what does a Nudest do when the lake freezes over ????

The Bears are sleeping, so are the Bares sleeping too????"

Ladies and gentlemen,
Take my advice,
Pull down your pants,
And slide on the ice.

Step 3 is optional for nudists.

There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Quote from vesta...

"This brings up a question here for me, not that far up the road there has for years  been a Nudest camp with people living there year round, what does a Nudest do when the lake freezes over ????

The Bears are sleeping, so are the Bares sleeping too????"

Ladies and gentlemen,
Take my advice,
Pull down your pants,
And slide on the ice.

Step 3 is optional for nudists.

I am sitting here totally naked under my clothes.  A closet nudist if you will, probably dirves Vesta nuts just thinking about it. :rotf:

I guess I never really worried about what the nuists do in the winter, but in retrospect maybe they just shrivel up and go away?   

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Went to the RV show last weekend with Scoobs and the kids.

Good news--all are at least receptive to the idea of doing the camper thing.

Bad news--Even if we bought one now (unlikely) most of them of any significant size are too heavy to pull with our vehicles (I have a 5000-lb capacity.) 

Worse news--New F-150's with 4X4, V-8, Crew Cab, and tow packages go for about $35-38K.  Oy.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
Went to the RV show last weekend with Scoobs and the kids.

Good news--all are at least receptive to the idea of doing the camper thing.

Bad news--Even if we bought one now (unlikely) most of them of any significant size are too heavy to pull with our vehicles (I have a 5000-lb capacity.) 

Worse news--New F-150's with 4X4, V-8, Crew Cab, and tow packages go for about $35-38K.  Oy.

Did I mentionn I have been fitting out the MH this winter?  I let the Roadster (SL) go and picked up a flat towble G6 Convertible.  That means tow bar, tow plate, wiring, brake system for towed car.   I just got the brake system and hope to have the break-away switch installed the next nice day.   I decided to go with a portable model since the G6 has an adjustable brake pedel.  Everythihng else is good to go. 

I also got a pretty nifty piece of hardware and software which allows me to have 'digital' gages using the Cat ECM data and a notebook which is a real plus with the cost of diesel.  You can see your burn rate.  ( Probably should just use a $ for the fuel usage. ) :lmao:

I probably have less than 35k in the whole shebang at this point.  The diesel only has 96k and was owned by an anal retentive engineer before I bought it.  It was his baby. 

With our old C class gas rig we always tagged or rented at the destination or just rode our bicycles.  This will be my first season towing.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
I've been running a HD 3/4ton full sized pickup with a 8ft camper for a few years. Over the cab bed, dinet, fridge, heater and stove top.
I also pull a 16ft drift boat. It all goes down the road with no problems, and it's easy to take the camper off when I get to my destination.

That said, the "A" frame trailers look very nice and I belive they have hard sides in case you are camping in bear country.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:43 AM »
I've been running a HD 3/4ton full sized pickup with a 8ft camper for a few years. Over the cab bed, dinet, fridge, heater and stove top.
I also pull a 16ft drift boat. It all goes down the road with no problems, and it's easy to take the camper off when I get to my destination.

That said, the "A" frame trailers look very nice and I belive they have hard sides in case you are camping in bear country.

My first rig was an 8' Stuery slide in on a built crew cab Power Wagon.  I had full tiedowns rather than pocket stakes and front dampers.  It makes a difference when you get into cross winds or passed by a diesel.  Also had the pass through cab window. (not that I ever used it)

A few years ago I had a new setup pull in beside me from NY.  Brand new diesel duallie and huge  PU camper with slides (9.5?)  Cost just south of 100K if memory serves me.  Yeah the good thing about going that route is you can pull a boat and take the top off if you are staying for any period of time.  I use to set the picnic table under mine when I did that for added stability.  (We were young and in love.) :rofl:

They are great for fall hunting.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »

The "A" Frames are hard sided.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »
A frames are hard sided. Great! Second suggestion is to get the best hitch system you can afford. Stabilizer bars make a world of differance, and air bags for the towing vehicle make life easy.

My camper isent my first. I may suggest you have a stove, a oven , room for extra LP tanks and powered vents. Solar panels are nice to have when plug in power is not available.
I tent camped for alot of years.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
A frames are hard sided. Great! Second suggestion is to get the best hitch system you can afford. Stabilizer bars make a world of differance, and air bags for the towing vehicle make life easy.

My camper isent my first. I may suggest you have a stove, a oven , room for extra LP tanks and powered vents. Solar panels are nice to have when plug in power is not available.
I tent camped for alot of years.

The trailer isn't that heavy. Just about 2000 pounds. My Ridgeline comes with the hitch and all the accessories.

It comes with a stove, an oven, 2 LP tanks, a battery, and a powered vent fan, along with a sink and heat pump for heat and A/C.

We tent camped from about 1972 to about 1995; got the tee-shirt!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »
Fantastic!  Sounds like you will be set up well.

I always try to overdo the basics on hauling/ weight values just to be safe.

Must be the conservitive in me!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Fantastic!  Sounds like you will be set up well.

I always try to overdo the basics on hauling/ weight values just to be safe.

Must be the conservitive in me!

Forgot to mention: It also has a small 3-way refrigerator (120V, 12V, and propane).

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
Forgot to mention: It also has a small 3-way refrigerator (120V, 12V, and propane).

I think we stopped tenting in about '72.  

And everyone needs a good three way!! :rofl:  (But gas always seems to cool best).

ETA:  Don't forget to hit Wally World for all those little extras you may need.  Cords and adapters are ever so much cheaper there than when you find you need them at a campground.  (Although not all camp stores are run by vultures).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:00:35 AM by zeitgeist »

Offline CG6468

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »
I think we stopped tenting in about '72.  

And everyone needs a good three way!! :rofl:  (But gas always seems to cool best).

ETA:  Don't forget to hit Wally World for all those little extras you may need.  Cords and adapters are ever so much cheaper there than when you find you need them at a campground.  (Although not all camp stores are run by vultures).

Does the gas function of the reefer really cool the best?

I took the HEAVY duty extension cord and the 3-prong angle adapter from the old camper. We already have battery powered camping lanterns and other stuff. We always carry an axe, a hatchet, and a wood saw.

We will renew all of the dishware and silver(?)ware, and the pots and pans with cooking utensils soon, but definitely before the trip.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
Does the gas function of the reefer really cool the best?

I took the HEAVY duty extension cord and the 3-prong angle adapter from the old camper. We already have battery powered camping lanterns and other stuff. We always carry an axe, a hatchet, and a wood saw.

We will renew all of the dishware and silver(?)ware, and the pots and pans with cooking utensils soon, but definitely before the trip.

Yes.  I once made the mistake of running on battery while dry camping overnight.  Dead battery the next day and warm food.  Propane heats the ammonia which cools the fridge.  Here is a pretty good link to look at:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

120V is usually pretty good too.

I always cool the fridge with gas, ice and frozen food.  Mine runs gas when I disconnect from shore power when on the auto setting.  I would have to force it to battery.  I also have an separate ice maker which I am thinking of converting to a gun safe. :whistling:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Yes.  I once made the mistake of running on battery while dry camping overnight.  Dead battery the next day and warm food.  Propane heats the ammonia which cools the fridge.  Here is a pretty good link to look at:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

120V is usually pretty good too.

I always cool the fridge with gas, ice and frozen food.  Mine runs gas when I disconnect from shore power when on the auto setting.  I would have to force it to battery.  I also have an separate ice maker which I am thinking of converting to a gun safe. :whistling:

Thanks for the info!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
Picking up the camper today. And handing over a $10K cashiers check......... ::)

Offline CG6468

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
Here it is, all hooked up and ready to go.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
How sweet it is -Ralph Kramden- At least it looks sweet. I'll bet it's even sweeter.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 06:07:47 AM »
Here it is, all hooked up and ready to go.

Nice!  Next up the shaker down cruise.  Enjoy.   

Offline CG6468

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
Nice!  Next up the shaker down cruise.  Enjoy.   

The dealer was about 30 miles from here, and we towed it on main drags, local roads and on the tollway, from speeds 25 - 70 MPH. It towed better than our older camper - much better.