Author Topic: Feng Shui-Superstition or Science???  (Read 1555 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Feng Shui-Superstition or Science???
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
What do you think about this subject ?
 Will changing the color of a room change ones attitude, seems some hospitals do paint their rooms in what they call calming colors.   Observation I would think of how people react to color, interesting is this Feng shui from its roots?

All this gobbledygook about placement of homes, seems we did the same in building Washington DC. and naturally the Pyramids.

Much is said about disorder and the effect on the mind, is this a superstition or a fact that the mind needs order to function?      Those shows about the Hoarders that live in chaos comes to mind.

What about all this Acupuncture or acupressure to stimulate the different area of the body, do they actually work and if so why???

The year of the Dragon has come in, how much of this is superstition and how much Science from a civilization that has studied the effects of nature on mankind for thousands of years.??

Will yellow make me sad, red make me angry, blue calm me down, purple make me feel sexy?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Feng Shui-Superstition or Science???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Stay away from purple, vesta. Please.

As to the rest of that bullshit, just pile it over there in the corner and allow it to heat up naturally. Then spread it over your 80 acres where it belongs.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
I don't know about the science aspect.

One of my brothers helped me move into the place I am now (he is the third of three for what it's worth).

He brought up the subject of feng shui when we were trying to figure out where to put the furniture.

It really didn't make a great deal of difference, basically just a love seat and ottoman, but I think it really made a difference.

Of course I now live in a motor home, the change was small but I like the results.

Do I understand it?  No.

I am OK with the results.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:27:53 AM »
I don't know about the science aspect.

One of my brothers helped me move into the place I am now (he is the third of three for what it's worth).

He brought up the subject of feng shui when we were trying to figure out where to put the furniture.

It really didn't make a great deal of difference, basically just a love seat and ottoman, but I think it really made a difference.

Of course I now live in a motor home, the change was small but I like the results.

Do I understand it?  No.

I am OK with the results.

Minimalism is the fad  that comes and goes through the years.  Is this an Asian concept or just a world wide off and on again fashion???

Less is more, they say, keep clutter down and the brain functions better they say, Watching the Hoarders and their repulsive homes is  mind bender.   How can anyone function amid chaos of the extreme side.

The best homes I have been in for my taste are the ones that have wall to wall book cases and curio cabinets with glass fronts.   [ keeps down the dusting and stuff laying about to knock over ]

Bedrooms with wall to wall built in shelves for clothing, space saving and order for the lack of heavy furniture, bureaus that jut into the room.

Kitchens of the old time type that have no or few cabinet doors, everything in sight and at hands reach.  No temptation to just throw plastic food containers in a cabinet and get pelted when you open the cabinet door with a rain of unsorted tops and bottoms.  One does not have to get on hands and knees searching in the  far- far back of a dark space for a small pot hiding in the dark depths of darn knows what you placed in there a year ago.  After a few years working in restaurant kitchens I saw the value of seeing where every thing was and not as at home having to rumage about or to duplicate food items that as new stuff came in the old got pushed to the back and forgotten-----waste of food as the use by date can become a year or more long gone. 

Motor homes like my camping trailer are designed like a Submarine, every inch of space is used.   One knows where everything is and little chance of coming across 3 hair dryers packed in a box somewhere. Only problem for me is the camper has to have kitchen cabinet doors to keep stuff from falling out when moving.   

Feng Shui,  the art of placement and color and the effects on the human eye are fascinating to me. But then I adore the Moroccan feel to a living or dining room, the rich drapes and brass lamps.   

Question for me to you is why items placed in 3's look better then just one or two, why do they draw the eye and interest???