Author Topic: Ever See A Train Lay It's Own Track?  (Read 3636 times)

Offline CG6468

Ever See A Train Lay It's Own Track?
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Ever See A Train Lay It's Own Track?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:10:19 AM »
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
That IS pretty cool. I never thought much about how train track is laid these days, but I can't imagine they're still driving spikes with sledges too much anymore.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
That IS pretty cool. I never thought much about how train track is laid these days, but I can't imagine they're still driving spikes with sledges too much anymore.

I want to know how one gets a job doing this, driving the huge machines that lay the track.  The engineers that built and designed this amazing thing are one thing, but who is in the cab making it work.?

Same old mantra here, with overtime and the pay scale, the labores who man the cabs may be making more then the engineers. 12 years of college and the good old boy with out a GED may be bringing in more money then them.

To top it off it will be the workers that alert the educated on a problem they had not envisioned. 

Sort of like when a young kid right out of the Academy has to be seasoned by the Sargent's or Chiefs in the real world.

In the film there was one man whose job was to place some sort of divice on each  piece that rolled by him, wonder what he was paid for that complicated job that a 10 year old could do.

Interesting device, but more interesting were the people that ran the device, and how they ever learned the skill to do so.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
I want to know how one gets a job doing this, driving the huge machines that lay the track.  The engineers that built and designed this amazing thing are one thing, but who is in the cab making it work.?

Same old mantra here, with overtime and the pay scale, the labores who man the cabs may be making more then the engineers. 12 years of college and the good old boy with out a GED may be bringing in more money then them.

Railroad/locomotive engineers, through on-the-job training with what is essentially an apprenticeship, followed by licensing exams.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
Railroad/locomotive engineers, through on-the-job training with what is essentially an apprenticeship, followed by licensing exams.

BS for quoting Vesta.

That is pretty neat.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
BS for quoting Vesta.

That is pretty neat.

What are you talking about? 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
What are you talking about? 

Quoting Vesta earns a bitch slap from some people. It needs to be added to the forum rules.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
This is the type of track that's been put in along the N. F. Feather river. I have to walk the tracks to fish the river. I fish the river ALOT and have seen the transition from the old wood ties to the concrete "snap in" style over the years. One thing however, when they break a tie it apparently is a bigger problem. The old wood ties would just get kinda munched up (from derails), but now the concrete ones actually break in half. I see the RR fixing sections of track all the time.

One other thing perplexes me, normally the gaps in the track, from section to section, will take up any thermal expansion. Now the tracks seem to be continuously welded, but they don't have any expansion problems.  :???:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
you know how many jobs that thing has killed! :panic:

the vibrating packer spikes at the end are my favorite.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
you know how many jobs that thing has killed! :panic:

the vibrating packer spikes at the end are my favorite.

Oh Gina, wherefore art thou?    :rofl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.