Author Topic: Ruined window glass?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline longview

Ruined window glass?
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »
I'm renting a little house near a job I really like.  It's a 1910 version and has 101 year pld problems.  I try to fix the little things, like grout and faucets, as they come up.

The windows on the east and west sides of the house, though, won't even come clean.  We get wind with grit in it, and I'm wondering if those windows are finely scratched or if I just need a stronger cleaner.  I've thought of using the headlight cleaners on them, they aren't large windows.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Re: Ruined window glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
I'm renting a little house near a job I really like.  It's a 1910 version and has 101 year pld problems.  I try to fix the little things, like grout and faucets, as they come up.

The windows on the east and west sides of the house, though, won't even come clean.  We get wind with grit in it, and I'm wondering if those windows are finely scratched or if I just need a stronger cleaner.  I've thought of using the headlight cleaners on them, they aren't large windows.

If the glass is really 101 years old, it is likely "hand rolled" glass which is common from that period (easily identified by the "wavy" image of things outside as viewed through them), and as such, some of the flaws were probably built in from the time of installation.  Otherwise, a century of windblown sand WILL etch them and make them cloudy.

The only real solution is to reglaze the windows........which is pretty simple if you're handy around the house.  Simply remove the old glazing putty from around the glass, and the "points" which hold the glass in the sash.......go to the lumber yard and have a new pane cut the same size, reverse the procedure installing the new glass.  Glass is cheap.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline longview

Re: Ruined window glass?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
Glass is cheap.......

doc

None of it is old, or original glass.  The wood floors and ceilings are.  Updated electric and a mix in the plumbing areas.

I'll have to get the okay to replace the 9 windows that I can't get 'clean.'  Landlord wants to put place on the market when I leave or in another year, whichever comes first.  He doesn't mind my puttering.

Thanks.  That would sure be easier.