Author Topic: Look at my  (Read 6723 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Look at my
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I used my new Dutch oven today...to make this:

It's an old spaghetti and meatball recipe that an Italian neighbor gave my mom when I was about three years old. If anyone wants the recipe I will be glad to share. The house smells so yummy.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
My wife would kill me if I filled a pan that full, she knows that I'd spill some on the stove top.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
My wife would kill me if I filled a pan that full, she knows that I'd spill some on the stove top.

I debated on putting the last few meatballs in it for that very reason but I did it anyway.  I'm stirring it very carefully.  The normal pan I use is larger but I swear the sauce is thickening up faster in this dutch oven than my all-clad dutch oven. You have to cook it all day so the sauce thickens and the flavor develops,  you have to plan early in the day to make it.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
I decided to type out the recipe for anyone who wants it.

Spaghetti and meatballs

Meatballs

2lbs ground beef

1C shredded Parmesan cheese

1 clove garlic or 2 tbsp minced garlic
(I use the refrigerated garlic in the jar and add more than is called for if I don't have fresh garlic on hand)

Salt
(it originally called for Accent which is MSG, I started off making it with salt but Accent makes a taste difference for the better. If you aren't MSG sensitive and don't mind it I highly suggest using it in the meatballs)

1C bread crumbs

1/4 C parsley (dried or fresh)

6 eggs

Sauce

2 large cans tomato paste

Salt (to taste)

Bay leaf (2 large or three small - take out of sauce before eating)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp sugar

1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese in the sauce

Fill (large pan) 2/3 full of water (I use 1 large plastic bottle of tomato juice instead ONLY Campbell's...you can taste the difference)

Directions

Meatballs:

mix eggs and everything else except the ground beef. I use a stand mixer.  Don't mix it too much, just enough to combind.  I then add the ground beef a little at a time and have my stand mixer on low. You can do it with your hands but let the ground beef sit out for a little while so your hands don't freeze.  I use an ice cream scoop to form the meatballs (I roll them in my hands a little too).  You can make them smaller obviously.  Originally you were suppose to brown in oil but I cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray a little Pam on the foil (make a little lip with the foil to catch the oil from the meatballs).  Brown in the oven (I set the oven to 400).  You only want to brown them, not cook them through.

Sauce:

While meatballs are browning combine all ingredients for the sauce. Make sure the tomato paste is fully stirred in. Add meatballs. Simmer all day (it will look a little watery at first). I sometimes add fresh mushrooms (I did in the batch I made today). Serve over mostaccioli or similar pasta like penne.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:29:46 PM by BEG »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »
I debated on putting the last few meatballs in it for that very reason but I did it anyway.  I'm stirring it very carefully.  The normal pan I use is larger but I swear the sauce is thickening up faster in this dutch oven than my all-clad dutch oven. You have to cook it all day so the sauce thickens and the flavor develops,  you have to plan early in the day to make it.

Probably better heat distribution/retention. Same thing happens when I make a Dutch Oven roast.

I debated on putting the last few meatballs in it for that very reason but I did it anyway

Must....not............... :rofl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

Probably better heat distribution/retention. Same thing happens when I make a Dutch Oven roast.

Must....not............... :rofl:

You are such a pervert.  :p

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Hey!  I musta missed the call for perverts! :banghead:

Anyway, WS, I'm planning on getting something along those lines for us, for when we (inevitably) go camping.

And, BEG, your knobs are lovely . . .  :tongue: :naughty: :hyper:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
Awesome!

A post about BEG's beautiful knobs, not to mention wonderfully crafted balls. The perfect storm of threads!

O-)

Of course, sauce is like chili; everybody thinks their recipe is the best. My family (originally from Abruzzi) uses country-style spareribs and Italian sausage to give the sauce its flavor.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies