Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 41712 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Skyrim
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Got me a copy of skyrim yesterday.

Very pretty. Totally addictive.

Plays just like oblivion with some minor differences.

I can see this game costing me a week at least.  :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
I'm still not finished with Nethack. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
Got me a copy of skyrim yesterday.

Very pretty. Totally addictive.

Plays just like oblivion with some minor differences.

I can see this game costing me a week at least.  :-)

Just bought this for my kids for Christmas.  Been watching my son play it while he's home on leave.  Looks really cool.  I did the Oblivion but as the kids got older I got pushed off the X-Box and never finished it.  Now that the kids are getting older I may have puh lenty of time on the X-Box!  LOL  funny how that works huh?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
I'm still not finished with Nethack. :(

...aaaand the geek award this year goes too .....

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »
I am kicking ass and taking names on this. Just got a Sky Forge battle-axe and a Dwarven helmet.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
Been playing TES: Skyrim myself.

I like the fact that it feels like a world and you can interact according to its rules; not how some programmer scripted.

Case in point: When my character was rather low-level I was being chased by a dragon. I had no chance of defeating the beast and was scrambling through the trees in a desperate search for overhead cover to escape the incessant cascade of flames. As I emerged from the trees I spied a giant's camp. I darted through the camp and hunkered down under a crag of rock. In swooped the dragon to finish me off but as it pulled back to inhale the giant ran-up and swatted the lizard. The two battled it out until the dragon was near death at which point I raced-up and delivered the coup de grace, looted its corpse and skittered off before the giant could get a bead on me.

I also enjoy baiting enemies with the traps set for me.

I have had issues with the game.

After completing the Dark Brotherhood quest to assassinate the emperor I was unable to return to the city fo Markarth. No course of action would placate the city guard. They could not be bribed or cajoled. Surrendering to be taken to Cihdna Mines only restarted the dialogue loop. Unfortunately I was also supposed to speak to the Jarl's chief advisor to complete another quest arc but was unable to do so because of my wanted status.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:33 AM »
Nice. Looks like I have my next game purchase.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »
Just beat the dogshit out of the Necromancer and his levitating goons at Meridia's Temple.  :yahoo:

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
Just beat the dogshit out of the Necromancer and his levitating goons at Meridia's Temple.  :yahoo:

Crafted myself a set of dragonscale armor over the weekend; although Daedric armor is tougher. Working on enchanting so I can double enchant items.

I want to go into the main campaign arc with weapons and armor where each piece has overlapping boosts for skills and stats.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Crafted myself a set of dragonscale armor over the weekend; although Draedric armor is tougher. Working on enchanting so I can double enchant items.

I want to go into the main campaign arc with weapons and armor where each piece has overlapping boosts for skills and stats.

I have a Nord Berserker-type character. I am improving the typical skills (Heavy Armor, Two-Handed, etc) with outside skill focus on Archery, Enchantment and Restoration. Blacksmithing is the highest now at 92 with Orcish being the most complex I can craft. My character level is 33 overall. The max character development is supposedly 80 according to the Elder Scrolls Wikia.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
I have a Nord Berserker-type character. I am improving the typical skills (Heavy Armor, Two-Handed, etc) with outside skill focus on Archery, Enchantment and Restoration. Blacksmithing is the highest now at 92 with Orcish being the most complex I can craft. My character level is 33 overall. The max character development is supposedly 80 according to the Elder Scrolls Wikia.

Pretty much what I'm running.

To hyper-charge your smithing run Dwemer ruins for scrap which can be smelted. Make a shit-ton of Dwarven daggers and sell them or dump them off next to some hippy commune. It only take ~6 daggers to bump your skill an entire level which also translates into higher overall character level.

Gold and silver jewelry also work for fast smith levelling, which in turn I enchant to run-up that level as well. Be sure to save jewelry you find for this purpose as well and get a soul capturing weapon for soul gems.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
SGT Snuggle Bunny's Top 10 Signs You Might Be Playing The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim a Little Too Much

10. You complain about Trekkies speaking Klingon in your presence...but you do it in Dragon tongue.

9. You go up to the shopper in Wal-Mart who is wearing a leopard print coat and snarl contemptuously that some of your best friends are khajit.

8. You're thinking roasted skeever tail might not taste so bad after all.

7. It kind of pisses you off that Ulfric Stormcloak isn't getting the press coverage he deserves in the GOP primaries.

6. You updated your resume to include your smithing and enchanting skill levels.

5. You hear nirnroot singing even when it's not there.

4. Balancing the time you spend running quests versus quality time with the wife refers to the wife you married in the Temple of Mara.

3. Your preferred JFK conspiracy theory centers on The Dark Brotherhood.

2. The local health food co-op has run you off for constantly asking for Blue Mountain Flower and Daedra hearts.

And SGT SNuggle Bunny's #1 sign you might be playing The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim a little too much is:

1. Your friends who go to gamer conventions to play World of Warcraft LARPs are thinking of staging an intervention.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
Found the hook-up for Daedra hearts.  :naughty: Am now decked out in Daedra armor and a battle axe.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
This is a stand alone game? Looks great, but my system can't run it.    :(
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
...my system can't run it.    :(

*shuns*

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
*shuns*

Hey now!    :hammer: (damn Rabbit)

I've only got a dual core. Looking at quads, but my daughter might have to have knee surgery so ya, I may be financially screwed.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »

Hey now!    :hammer: (damn Rabbit)

I've only got a dual core. Looking at quads, but my daughter might have to have knee surgery so ya, I may be financially screwed.

Yeah, those arrows to the knee are a problem.  :-)

Just kidding...hope she pulls though the surgery and therapy with no problems.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
Yeah, those arrows to the knee are a problem.  :-)

Just kidding...hope she pulls though the surgery and therapy with no problems.

MRI looks good, so probably just some physical therapy.  :hyper:

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
MRI looks good, so probably just some physical therapy.  :hyper:

Actually he reciting a line from the game. The NPCs you pass by in the game blurt out random lines, one if which is, "I used to be an adveturer like you; until I took an arrow to the knee."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
Actually he reciting a line from the game. The NPCs you pass by in the game blurt out random lines, one if which is, "I used to be an adveturer like you; until I took an arrow to the knee."

Now that's just cold since WS can't actually PLAY the game!

:lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »

Heh, Rift does the same thing. One guy says, "Do you think they'll write songs about us?"

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
Heh, Rift does the same thing. One guy says, "Do you think they'll write songs about us?"

The Grand Theft Auto series has the best pedestrian dialogue and the radio stations make you want to stay in the car even though you're on a mission.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 02:14:31 AM »
The Grand Theft Auto series has the best pedestrian dialogue and the radio stations make you want to stay in the car even though you're on a mission.

You should try Saint's Row 3. One of the radio channels in vehicles is devoted to Adult Swim. Nothing like driving around with the theme of The Venture Brothers coming out of the speakers.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »
I've been toying with a few builds. Surprisingly, none of the builds have worked-out the way I envisioned but all have been satisfying.

One build was supposed to be a heavy weapons warrior that relied on Bound Sword/Axe but the magicka cost was too great. Trying to divvy points between magicka, health and stamina was too much. If, you're doing anything more radical than a 60/40 split between 2 traits you're crippling yourself. Seventy-thirty works well too, unless you're just boosting a single trait. The Bound Sword/Axe didn't work out because warriors need health and stamina to take a give punishment from their close-quarter brawling. I couldn't keep enough magicka to constantly re-conjure my weapons AND for on-the-spot healing.

However, an archer using Bound Bow works pretty darned well, especially if you're sneak attacking. Add in the staggering perk and Unrelenting Force shout and you can keep most enemies at bay if not drop them outright in the opening shot. So what if the companions call you a *****, at least you're a live, rich *****. My archer has pretty much just doped-up on straight health and is working well.

Another concept I wanted was a thief that used illusion spells to augment sneaking etc. I chose a khajit for their enhanced sneaking but quickly found out cycling between spells and weapons was a pain in the ass. It was easier to just keep spells at hand and incinerate or electrocute enemies like so many Wall Street Occupiers. The khajit angle paid off unexpectedly well when the magicka went dry like a virgin whose father just came home and enemies closed to melee range. Khajit get 15 points of melee damage for using their hands and that is better than most melee weapons at mid-level skill, all the more so when you're just starting out. Add the "Glove of the Pugilist" from the Ratway in Riften and your mage is cracking skulls.

For a warrior, nothing beats a purebred, Aryan cloning vat Nord. Smithing is nice because you can forge and refine weapons and armor significantly higher than anything you'll find lying around, which is how they incentivize you, after all.

The archer and mage are getting the enchantment treatment. I haven't progressed far enough with the pair (probably has something to do with constantly re-starting the game) but I would like to see an archer that has each piece of armor and weapon double-enchanted with one of those enchantments being a maxed-out boost to archery and then something else useful in addition to the already maxed-out skill tree. If I can get daedric smithing for the bow as well, so much the better. Rinse and repeat for the mage with appropriate skill and trait boosts.

And yes, re-playing the same missions is OK because each build requires a different approach. My berserker loathes mages because they hit him with frost, slowing-him down and wearing him out. Sure, once he closes distance they squish easily enough but the dancing little faggots never stand still and they throw-up wards to ruin your shout for the duration of the fight. Other brawlers had best beware because he has been working out at the forge and taking injections of bull shark testosterone.

Meanwhile, the archer and mages can pretty much drop anyone from a distance...except those damned bull shark steroid shooting knuckle-draggers. The mage is versatile but magicka-depletion is a serious threat. Once the tap runs dry it's best to just skitter away until the blue line refills. The archer is hardy enough but multiple foes can be overwhelming; keep 'em canalized to minimize the time spent re-aligning your shots. Once the brawlers close distance it's best to shoot and scoot (I play almost entirely in 3rd-person view to avoid hanging-up on the terrain).

I'm enjoying the game for exactly the reason the designers intended: character development conforms to the player's style. Your builds aren't following a pre-determined tree. Your sneaking skill improves because you're constantly sneaking. You're a battle-mage and not a healer because you throw more fireballs than healing spells.

In the bang-for-buck category Skyrim wins, hands-down. For $40 to $60, depending on where/when you purchase, you get a game whose main story arc will take over 100 hours to play out and still leave you with multiple dozens of more hours just to run around and act the fool. Add in the fact you can replay numerous character concepts and you're paying pennies-per-hour for entertainment. The only downside is your wife might start sleeping with somebody else...if you consider that a downside.