Author Topic: Ketchup... the elusive mystery  (Read 29683 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ketchup... the elusive mystery
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
Ketchup.  What the hell is it?

While fresh tomatoes stewing for hours may give you the ketchupy goodness you prefer, using tomato paste both speeds up the process and gives you an option when tomatoes aren't in season.  Of course, if you've still got loads of tomatoes that you canned last season, then you're all set!

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon molasses
1 teaspoon agave nectar
2 1/2 cups water
Instructables

Your ticket to Flavor Town.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Ketchup... the elusive mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
Too damn easy to just buy Hunt's.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
Too damn easy to just buy Hunt's.

:lmao:   Poor Chris.....

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
:rofl:  I always wondered what was in ketchup.  Now I know. 

I buy Hunt's.  Even if I wanted my money going to John Kerry's wife, I still prefer it over Heinz.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
:rofl:  I always wondered what was in ketchup.  Now I know. 

I buy Hunt's.  Even if I wanted my money going to John Kerry's wife, I still prefer it over Heinz.

I am a major freak in just about everything and I love me some ketchup as dip for Lays ridged potato chips  :drool:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
I am a major freak in just about everything and I love me some ketchup as dip for Lays ridged potato chips  :drool:

Do you like the ridges or the ketchup?

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »

Do you like the ridges or the ketchup?

:-)

Is that a trick question?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

Coming from Wineslob, they're all trick questions. The only thing that needs to be decided is whose trick and whose treat?   :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »

Never.         :whistling:

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
Ketchup.  What the hell is it?
Instructables

Your ticket to Flavor Town.
Yanno, a pastor friend of mine gave me some homemade ketchup, and it was the very best, ever.  Thanx, Chris.  I am gonna make a couple-o-gallons, this weekend.
I am not trying to necro old threads, I read this and it sounded very good.  I make my own mayo, and salad dressings, why not ketchup.   Bet it is loads better than store bought.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
Yanno, a pastor friend of mine gave me some homemade ketchup, and it was the very best, ever.  Thanx, Chris.  I am gonna make a couple-o-gallons, this weekend.
I am not trying to necro old threads, I read this and it sounded very good.  I make my own mayo, and salad dressings, why not ketchup.   Bet it is loads better than store bought.

How do you make your mayo, and do you make a good ranch dressing?  Two things we run out of all the time.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Mayo is egg whites, oil, and lemon juice.  Easy stuff.

I just buy a big jar of Duke's and leave it in the refrigerator. :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »

Make sure to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice. None of that crap out of a plastic yellow container.   :killemall:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
Make sure to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice. None of that crap out of a plastic yellow container.   
For someone who doesn't cook, you sure are a picky eater.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
For someone who doesn't cook, you sure are a picky eater.

Who said I don't cook? Or haven't cooked?

You damned right I'm a picky eater. I can afford to be.  :-)

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
How do you make your mayo, and do you make a good ranch dressing?  Two things we run out of all the time.
Mayo is simply an emulsion.
    1 large egg yolk
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    3/4 cup canola oil, or grape seed oil divided.   You could even use EVOO for more flavor.

Whisk the first 4 ingredients and pour into a blender.   Pour oil VERY SLOWLY while blending, until the desired consistency is reached.
Ranch.
    Â½ cup mayonnaise
    Â¾ cup sour cream
    Â¾ cup buttermilk
    1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp chopped parsley
    2 tsp chopped chives
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Â½ chopped scallion
    1 tsp mustard

1. Add all ingredients with about half of the buttermilk to a blender. Puree for about 10 seconds to combine. Check the consistency and add additional buttermilk a couple tablespoons at a time if you desire a thinner dressing.

If people would make their own dressings, they'd never buy Seven Seas, again.  All you need for a  vinaigrette, is an acid(lemon juice, vinegar, etc.)and a fat(canola, grape seed, or EVOO)  I like to take a garlic clove, crush it in a metal bowl with a fork and some salt(about 1/2 tsp)  whisk in lemon juice and whisk in the oil.  Add parsley and salad greens, toss.  
Awesome.

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Dori

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Mayo is simply an emulsion.
    1 large egg yolk
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    3/4 cup canola oil, or grape seed oil divided.   You could even use EVOO for more flavor.

Whisk the first 4 ingredients and pour into a blender.   Pour oil VERY SLOWLY while blending, until the desired consistency is reached.
Ranch.
    Â½ cup mayonnaise
    Â¾ cup sour cream
    Â¾ cup buttermilk
    1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp chopped parsley
    2 tsp chopped chives
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Â½ chopped scallion
    1 tsp mustard

1. Add all ingredients with about half of the buttermilk to a blender. Puree for about 10 seconds to combine. Check the consistency and add additional buttermilk a couple tablespoons at a time if you desire a thinner dressing.

If people would make their own dressings, they'd never buy Seven Seas, again.  All you need for a  vinaigrette, is an acid(lemon juice, vinegar, etc.)and a fat(canola, grape seed, or EVOO)  I like to take a garlic clove, crush it in a metal bowl with a fork and some salt(about 1/2 tsp)  whisk in lemon juice and whisk in the oil.  Add parsley and salad greens, toss.  
Awesome.

Thanks, I'm going to try these out.  I bet you could even add some blue or roquefort to the ranch recipe.

My favorite Italian dressing is Bernsteins Restaurant style. I even cook with it, but it gets expensive.  Would love to be able to make it from scratch.  ?????

I have a serious problem with most prepared italian and ranch dressings because they seem to put sugar in them. 

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
Thanks, I'm going to try these out.  I bet you could even add some blue or roquefort to the ranch recipe.

My favorite Italian dressing is Bernsteins Restaurant style. I even cook with it, but it gets expensive.  Would love to be able to make it from scratch.  ?????

I have a serious problem with most prepared italian and ranch dressings because they seem to put sugar in them. 

Maybe a bit of Parmesan. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
I can't remember the last time I bought salad dressing.  We eat a lot of salad, it just seemed more cost efficient to make my own, when I had all the ingredients anyway.  Never made my own mayo.  I need to try that sometime.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:37:14 PM »
Maybe a bit of Parmesan. 

DIL showed me this trick for shrimp salad for a crowd.

Small shrimp fresh or frozen cooked.
I bottle regular clear Italian Dressing, 1/2 bottle clear fat free dressing.  Mixed and divided.
2 1 pound bags of frozen vegetables, the brocollie and cauliflower mixes.   I add frozen Birds eye frozen stir fry pepper mix with onion.
1 box cooked Rotini.

Maranate the shrimp over night in half the dressing, the frozen vegetables in the other half of the dressing. Next day mix shrimp and vegetables together and add the cold cooked Rotini.

For a cook out I do all the above without the shrimp and no Marinating, I add more vegetables, the Pasta and a dressing of 1/2 ranch dressing and 1/2 mayo. Sometimes a few sliced radishes, couple sliced hard boiled eggs, a can of drained baby corn, a can of drained garbozo beans and lots of bacon bits.   A different taste in every bite.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »

Dukes is finally available up here -- yay!!  I used to load up whenever we went down to the Carolinas.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Dukes is finally available up here -- yay!!  I used to load up whenever we went down to the Carolinas.
They used to have Best Foods, which was Dukes.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
You sound like my brother when he talks about his job.  Do you cook for a living?

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
You sound like my brother when he talks about his job.  Do you cook for a living?
Nope, I am a finance officer for a Finance Company.  I just love to cook.  My wife thinks I should be a chef, but if I did it all day long, I'd learn to hate it.
I love to garden, because awesome dishes come from awesome ingredients.   

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:51 PM »
I love burgers and hotdogs and so the more garlic the better!! When I want some BBQ sauce I bug my friend Keith. His company makes a yummy garlicky blend of spices, onions, and herbs, in a thick tomato base. I love when my money goes to someone with similar political beliefs.  :popcorn:

Getting older is mandatory
Growing up is optional