Author Topic: Hashbrown casserole recipes?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline sybilll

Hashbrown casserole recipes?
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
My sister-in-law has assigned that I bring a hashbrown casserole to Christmas Eve brunch.  I've never made one and when I Nadin it, all of the recipes contain sour cream.  Selfishly, I love hashbrowns, but HATE sour cream, as does my brother, my dad, and my daughter.  Any ideas? 

Offline jtyangel

Re: Hashbrown casserole recipes?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12:17 PM »
I found a tip that says to use the same amount of evaporated milk in place of the sour cream if you either don't have the sour cream or don't like it. Can you really taste it cooked in things? I don't like cottage cheese, but I don't mind it mixed in with other things so that's why I ask. Anyway, that's the tip I found online. Good luck:-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
I've heard plain yogurt is a good substitute for sour cream but I've never tried it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Minky

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
My son hates sour cream. When I make tater tot casserole I use it and he has no idea. You can't taste the twang of it. It's about the consistency and helps hold all the ingredients together. I imagine hashbrown casserole is the same.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
I found a tip that says to use the same amount of evaporated milk in place of the sour cream if you either don't have the sour cream or don't like it. Can you really taste it cooked in things? I don't like cottage cheese, but I don't mind it mixed in with other things so that's why I ask. Anyway, that's the tip I found online. Good luck:-)

What would cottage cheese be mixed with?  My sister uses it in lasagna instead of Ricotta but that is the only thing I've heard it mixed with.

Offline sybilll

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
I like the yogurt idea as a binding ingredient, thanks chris_.  And yes, if you despise sour cream as I do, you can taste it in any dish.  My sis-in-law puts it in her mashed potatoes, one bite I knew it was in there. Thanks for the help.  I'll do a test dish w/ the yogurt this week and let you know the outcome.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
8 oz sour cream
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
3 tbsp chicken bullion
1 diced onion
1/2 pkg cubed hash brown potatoes

Mix ingredients, bake uncovered at 350ºF for 1 hour, or until top is golden brown.

This is from my sister, and my wife makes it several times a year, particularly during the holiday season.

YUM-YUM!  :drool:

If sour cream is not your thing (I can't really taste it in this) perhaps some buttermilk and yogurt or a bit of very fine curd cottage cheese would work, too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:43:14 PM by CG6468 »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
That looks about like the one I had a recipe for (and lost).

Thanks. :II:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
This is from my sister, and my wife makes it several times a year, particularly during the holiday season.

YUM-YUM!  :drool:

If sour cream is not your thing (I can't really taste it in this) perhaps some buttermilk and yogurt or a bit of very fine curd cottage cheese would work, too.

I don't see bacon in the ingredients.  I've had the casserole with crumbled bacon on top.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »

I don't see bacon in the ingredients.  I've had the casserole with crumbled bacon on top.

Hmmmm. That sounds good. When I become independently wealthy, I'll buy some bacon and give it a try!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:46:42 PM »
1 lb browned ground beef, seasoned with S&P, onion powder.

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 package (lb?) of frozen tater tots (round or oblong).

Line the bottom of a glass 13 X 8 pan with the ground beef mixed with 1 1/2 cans of the mushroom soup.
Layer the "tots" on top. Use the last of the soup to cover the top (spread like icing)

Bake at 350 for 45 min. The top should be slightly browned and the taters softened when done.

NO sour cream.   :panic:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
Tater Tots are not hash browns. World of difference.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Tater Tots are not hash browns. World of difference.

I agree, but still like tater tots.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
I agree, but still like tater tots.

I just don't like Tater Tots. I dunno if it's the texture or what, but I don't care for them.

However, to each his or her own!!! :cheersmate:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »
What would cottage cheese be mixed with?  My sister uses it in lasagna instead of Ricotta but that is the only thing I've heard it mixed with.

Cold salad type of thing. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1943,147183-246204,00.html

I still have a little problem with the consistency, but I can eat it like this. :)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
I like the yogurt idea as a binding ingredient, thanks chris_.  And yes, if you despise sour cream as I do, you can taste it in any dish.  My sis-in-law puts it in her mashed potatoes, one bite I knew it was in there. Thanks for the help.  I'll do a test dish w/ the yogurt this week and let you know the outcome.

I can see mashed potatoes--they are pretty bland to begin with. Anything used to flavor them would be evident. Her idea is probably to make it taste like a baked potato. To me when you start throwing cheese in anything, I can't taste anything else :-)

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »
Someone posted here a reasonable facsimile of Cracker Barrel's hashbrown recipe.  I can't find it in search.  Anybody remember it?  I tried it, and it was good.  But it would have been even better if I'd followed the recipe and used the amount of butter it called for.  I got skeered.   :-) 

Offline Chris_

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
Yes, that's it.  It's from NHSparky who got it from Copycat.  Why in the world was I nervous about using 1/2 cup of butter?   :mental:  Nothing wrong with that; it's a casserole not a single serving.  Maybe I'd misread it as 2 cups or something.  I dunno.  Anyway, that sounds good as part of Christmas breakfast. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.