Author Topic: leftovers  (Read 1696 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
leftovers
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
Now what, I have checked most of the cooking shows for recipes to use all the stuff left over from Thanksgiving, most call for some spice one uses once a year.

One show showed a turkey Gumbo, but no Okra, was added.  To my money, no Okra, it is not Gumbo.

I will try a turkey pot pie, all the left overs except the mashed potatoes, meat, corn and peas, squash, sweet potatoes, and gravy for a sauce, a store bought pie crust for the top. as a side, cranberry sauce.

Now what , Still lots of turkey and sides left, what to do with the dressing, mashed potatoes?  any ideas what I can make and freeze for later???

Offline jtyangel

Re: leftovers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
Actually if you put those taters in a little oil and fry them up just a little you can make a nice 'crust' for the bottom of your pot pie. I have a similar recipe for beef that uses hashbrowns on the bottom that way. Make your mashed taters into hashbrowns basically. Or instead of a pie crust, use the potatoes as a topper like a shepherd's pie.

You could probably do the same with the dressing...use it for the bottom or top layer.

Make potato pancakes with the mashed potatoes.

2. Leftover Potatoes (sweet or regular, mashed or not) make great pancakes. Place 2 cups leftover potatoes into a mixing bowl. Mash to soften and add 2 beaten eggs. Mash to thoroughly combine. Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with butter or olive oil. Use a large ice cream scoop to make pancakes. After the scoop has been in the skillet for a minute press down to form a patty about 1/2 inch thick. When golden brown on the bottom turn over with a spatula. Try to turn just once.

1. More leftover potatoes make excellent hash.

Saute diced onion in enough olive oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of a skillet. Add diced turkey and potatoes (sweet or not) and gently stir. Every 2 - 3 minutes gently stir again. When heated through season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve when potatoes have begun to brown. Note: If you stir too often the potatoes will just stick...

You can use cranberry sauce to make a glaze for vegetables too.

Etc, etc, etc.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
I cubed up the leftover turkey, two sandwich ziplocks of white, and one of dark. Put the bags in a gallon ziplock, and into the freezer. I'll decide what to do with it later, maybe in the Spring......
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
I made a ton of turkey tetrazzini today. Gonna give some to my Mom. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
Says Vesta, "To my money, no Okra, it is not Gumbo."

Au contraire, madamme!! I hate okra, but love gumbo. Miss Chris makes a mean turkey-neck and sausage gumbo that is to die for, recipe upon request. Not eve n a hint of okra.

After Thanksgiving I collect all the turkey carcasses from family and friends, boil them 'till all the meat falls off, reserve the meat and stock, discard the bones, and make gumbo with the stock and meat.

Great stuff, gumbo!!   :-)
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.