Author Topic: Anyone have a good Navy Bean Soup recipe?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Disgusted in Euclid

• Probationary (Probie)
Anyone have a good Navy Bean Soup recipe?
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
With cold weather coming and all, my thoughts turn to soup.....

I usually make some pretty good soups, but for the life of me, I can't seem to make a decent Navy Bean soup - either the beans turn to complete mush, or are just kind of hard - I just can't seem to get a good consistency.....help????

Also, does anyone have an opinion of whether to cook the beans separately from the broth and then combine all ingredients?  I usually use a ham hock or two, cold water, a few Bay Leaves, a dash or two of hot sauce or hot Paprika, onion, carrot and celery for the broth, but generally, it's kind of blah - anyone here use anything different to kind of kick it up a bit?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

:cheersmate:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Anyone have a good Navy Bean Soup recipe?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
With cold weather coming and all, my thoughts turn to soup.....

I usually make some pretty good soups, but for the life of me, I can't seem to make a decent Navy Bean soup - either the beans turn to complete mush, or are just kind of hard - I just can't seem to get a good consistency.....help????

Also, does anyone have an opinion of whether to cook the beans separately from the broth and then combine all ingredients?  I usually use a ham hock or two, cold water, a few Bay Leaves, a dash or two of hot sauce or hot Paprika, onion, carrot and celery for the broth, but generally, it's kind of blah - anyone here use anything different to kind of kick it up a bit?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

:cheersmate:

I use about the same ingredients you do, although I use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water.  For 1 lb of beans, I will soak from dinner time to breakfast the next am.  I get my big ole honking crock pot in, and toss in the beans, carrots, onion (I use at least one) and celery.  If I don't have ham hocks, I will use regular smoked ham cubed.  I add salt and pepper, bay leaves (at least 3 or 4) and I will toss in a whole mess of fresh rosemary too. And Garlic.  Fill the pot with broth to an inch, inch and a half over everything.  I started using cheesecloth bags, as the leaves kind of disintegrate.  Cook for a minimum of 10 hours, usually 12, and sometimes even a whole day.  Then, I take my potato masher and mash around in there to get the soup really thick.  If it isn't thick enough, I will toss in a little instant potato. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
I use about the same ingredients you do, although I use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water.  For 1 lb of beans, I will soak from dinner time to breakfast the next am.  I get my big ole honking crock pot in, and toss in the beans, carrots, onion (I use at least one) and celery.  If I don't have ham hocks, I will use regular smoked ham cubed.  I add salt and pepper, bay leaves (at least 3 or 4) and I will toss in a whole mess of fresh rosemary too. And Garlic.  Fill the pot with broth to an inch, inch and a half over everything.  I started using cheesecloth bags, as the leaves kind of disintegrate.  Cook for a minimum of 10 hours, usually 12, and sometimes even a whole day.  Then, I take my potato masher and mash around in there to get the soup really thick.  If it isn't thick enoeaugh, I will toss in a little instant potato. 

OMG, how could I have forgotten about using chicken broth  :banghead:......that's what I use to perk up split pea soup - thanks for the reminder!

Rosemary - that sounds really good!

Now, do you generally use Navy beans or the small white beans? I've tried both, and now I can't remember which one I liked better.

Don't you love the crock-pot? I don't know what I'd do without mine!

Thanks for the tips!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »
I live in Texas.  It is hard to find dried navy beans, but I get them when I can.  Usually I get Great Northern Beans, which I think are smaller, but I still call it navy bean soup.  It is my favorite to make. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
Mrs. D does it this way:

Soak dried beans overnight in cold water.  In the morning drain, and place in a pressure cooker, or large pot.   Add cubed ham, or scraps form a ham bone, salt and pepper, chopped onion, a bit of chopped celery, 2 chicken bullion cubes.  Bring to a boil, and then turn back to simmer.....add a tanlespoon of barbeque sauce, let simmer until the beans are the consistancy you want.....then add a tablespoon of flour to thicken, set aside....warm  and serve later.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Speaking of perking up soups, a little old Italian lady told me once, that when you're boiling up your turkey carcass for soup, throw a beef soupbone in there as well, as the turkey alone is just too blah.  I substitute beef broth if I don't have a bone. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
I prefer puree'ing or taking out some of the beans and mashing them instead of adding potatoes.  Not that you would be able to tell by tasting it.  It's just my personal preference.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
How about using crumbled bacon as a topping?   :-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
I prefer puree'ing or taking out some of the beans and mashing them instead of adding potatoes.  Not that you would be able to tell by tasting it.  It's just my personal preference.

I agree with you there.  Sometimes I am just lazy that way. 

Offline CG6468

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
JEFF’S BEAN SOUP

INGREDIENTS
1 pound dried Great Northern beans
1 meaty ham bone or 2-3 smoked ham hocks
3 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 cup mashed potatoes or 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1/4 cup fresh parsley
Salt & pepper to taste, parsley or chives for garnish

Soak beans according to package directions, usually overnight.

Place beans and enough water to cover in a saucepan; bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes. Drain & rinse beans, place in large kettle, add ham bone or hocks and 3 quarts water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 2 hours.  Skim fat if necessary. Add other ingredients and simmer for another hour. Remove bone or hocks to cut meat from them. Dice meat and return meat to kettle. Simmer for another hour, stirring occasionally.

Serves 8.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
Well, my method is a little more traditional.

I start out by sorting the beans first (dontcha hate it when you chomp down on a pebble and break a tooth? Don't laugh - it's happened) then soaking overnight in some water, as already described.

Then, in a stockpot, sweat a mirepoix (onions, celery, carrot) in some olive oil. Add chicken stock or turkey stock or even veggie stock -- plain water is just plain plain.

Stay away from the salt for awhile, especially if you're going to add a ham hock or salt pork. Add all the pepper you want, though. Other herbs? Hey, go hog wild. Rosemary sounds good, but dill? Probably not.

Simmer the ham hock for at least an hour before adding your soaked and drained beans. Add more diced mirepoix and potato, if desired. Continue simmering till the beans are done - it really shouldn't be that long, maybe an hour to 90 minutes.

If desired, you can remove some beans and puree/mash to thicken, or just leave it as is. I like leaving 'em as is. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with some crusty, buttered peasant bread.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:37 AM »
Thank you all for so many great sounding suggestions - all are very much appreciated and welcome!

:)

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »
Personally, I think that carrots are a must-have ingredient, as I really like the color.  Otherwise, it's just beige. 

Something else that brightens up these legume soups is a squirt of lemon juice as it's served.  That's really good with lentil soup.