Author Topic: ticketing out-of-state violators  (Read 1727 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
ticketing out-of-state violators
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
I was wondering about something, after the events of Thursday night.

Okay, okay, okay, I know, I know, I'm going to look like a child or an innocent or a naif, as I probably sometimes do, but remember, not everybody has the same sorts of "life experiences."  I'm sure there's lots of things 14-year-olds know, but franksolich doesn't, but on the flip side of the coin, franksolich probably knows things 84-year-olds don't know.

Such is life; we all run in the same direction, but not necessarily parallel.

Anyway.

Never in my life have I ever received a driving ticket.

I am wondering how other states, other areas, handle the problem of collecting fines on traffic tickets when the tickets are given to someone from outside the state (or area), someone who just happens to be passing through, and advertently or inadvertently violates the posted speed-limit, or something.

Living outside the region, such people aren't likely to show up in a court at some later date.

I am talking about ordinary routine run-of-the-mill tickets, where there's no other circumstances (such as outstanding warrants or reason to search the vehicle for drugs, &c., &c., &c.).

In Nebraska, after hours, like say in the middle of the night, the practice seems to be that the driver is ticketed; the amount of the penalty is printed on the ticket, which includes an envelope directing it to the local or county or state court; in the presence of law-enforcement, the violator inserts the proper amount of cash (cash only) into the envelope; and in the presence of law-enforcement, the violator inserts the envelope into a post-office box.

And then that's all there is to it.

Sometimes a driver doesn't have $25 or $50 or $75 in cash on him, in which case law-enforcement follows him to a convenience store or some other sort of place with an ATM (automated teller machine), and then personally observes the insertion of the cash into the envelope, and the insertion of the envelope into the post-office box.

If one doesn't have that, which does happen, there have been cases where the violator has been followed to the nearest money-wiring agency, to write home for money to pay the fine.  The money comes, and the process is followed as described above.

Now, these are just for ordinary tickets, where there's no other circumstances.

So I'm wondering--if I were, for example, to be stopped in Georgia or Maine or Idaho, going 82 mph in a 65 mph speed-zone (inadvertently, of course), what would happen?

One assumes that if it were between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., of course the courts are open.

But what about if it were in the middle of the night, or on a weekend?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: ticketing out-of-state violators
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »
Immediate payment isn't required in any jurisdiction -- not even bail.

If you are arrested (for a serious crime like DUI) and have to throw bail, you are just like any local -- you either have the money or you don't.

As for infractions -- it is up to you to either 1) show up in court (at your expense) to fight it or 2) please "guilty" and pay the fine (it will be mailed to you). All but the tiniest jurisdictions have pay by internet now.

And almost all states have compacts in place.  Your local jurisdiction will know if you get an out-of-state ticket (as will your auto insurance company).  If you don't pay it, the bench warrant will be honored in your state and you will get arrested.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
In some cases,even in your home state, the police may take your driver's lic and give you a receipt for it. That happened to me in my home state before the advent of computer sharing info. between localities  back in the 70's. Paid the ticket a few days later and got my lic. back. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
Yes, the ticket will follow you from state to state.  My son-in-law who moved here from St. Louis a year ago was recently stopped by a cop for having an out-of-date inspection sticker.  The cop ran his license number through the computer and found a warrant had been issued for my son-in-law in St. Louis. 

The ticket my S-I-L had received in St. Louis was for speeding.   He went to court and the ticket was dismissed (I think because the issuing officer could not be in court). 

Fortunately, my S-I-L had the paperwork from the St. Louis court in his glove box.  The local officer could have cuffed him and took him in anyway until it was verified, but he didn't.  The cop suggested my S-I-L contact the court in St. Louis and get the records straight.