Author Topic: BSS (BlueStateSaint)  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
BSS (BlueStateSaint)
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »
Went to Mass tonight and it was the 1st time using the new Missal, very confusing of course, and I hate change.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:47:13 PM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: BSS (BlueStateSaint)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »
I sympathize with you. I was raised a Lutheran, Missouri Synod, and a little Latin survived into the fifties and sixties. But things changed into what I think of as a more coarse and simplistic order of service.

But, although I've long since left religion, I still treasure the beauty and majesty of liturgical choir music. I have several albums of Russian Orthodox liturgical music that I occasionally dig out and listen to whenever I just need to relax, reflect, and refresh.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
I sympathize with you. I was raised a Lutheran, Missouri Synod, and a little Latin survived into the fifties and sixties. But things changed into what I think of as a more coarse and simplistic order of service.

But, although I've long since left religion, I still treasure the beauty and majesty of liturgical choir music. I have several albums of Russian Orthodox liturgical music that I occasionally dig out and listen to whenever I just need to relax, reflect, and refresh.

This is the 1st major change since Vatican II, I was just a baby when that went through, so this is going to be really strange for me. They say the changes are supposed to make it closer to Latin.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:25 AM »
My parish has been incorporating the musical parts (Mass of Christ The Savior) since the middle of October, so I've got a bit more experience with the new Missal.  I do know that, for example, the parishes in the Adirondacks haven't been doing this.  I have no idea if any of the other suburban, or urban, parishes in my Diocese have been doing.

We're going to Mass soon.  I'll be able to tell more of my opinions after then.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »
My parish has been incorporating the musical parts (Mass of Christ The Savior) since the middle of October, so I've got a bit more experience with the new Missal.  I do know that, for example, the parishes in the Adirondacks haven't been doing this.  I have no idea if any of the other suburban, or urban, parishes in my Diocese have been doing.

We're going to Mass soon.  I'll be able to tell more of my opinions after then.

Oh good, I'm interested in what you think.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
My wife, who is Missouri Synod-Lutheran, was saying to our pastor, "I like the new prayers, because they're a more literal translation of the Latin."  Said priest did say that there's one new sentence in the Missal that is ninety-seven words long.  Now, I know that I use run-on sentences from time to time, but that's a tad out there.  Most of the congregation said the old versions just out of them being ingrained deep in the brain.  I know that I did.  My wife, OTOH, read the worship aids and said the proper responses.

My thoughts?  It'll take some getting used to.  Christmas Eve should be a hoot, with all of the CEO Catholics (Christmas-Easter Only) having zero idea what's going on.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
My wife, who is Missouri Synod-Lutheran, was saying to our pastor, "I like the new prayers, because they're a more literal translation of the Latin."  Said priest did say that there's one new sentence in the Missal that is ninety-seven words long.  Now, I know that I use run-on sentences from time to time, but that's a tad out there.  Most of the congregation said the old versions just out of them being ingrained deep in the brain.  I know that I did.  My wife, OTOH, read the worship aids and said the proper responses.

My thoughts?  It'll take some getting used to.  Christmas Eve should be a hoot, with all of the CEO Catholics (Christmas-Easter Only) having zero idea what's going on.

It was so strange because I was saying the old words and the Priest was saying the new words and it came out as jumbled. Also the Priest spoke very loudly over the microphone when saying the new words.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »
It was so strange because I was saying the old words and the Priest was saying the new words and it came out as jumbled. Also the Priest spoke very loudly over the microphone when saying the new words.

My parish told the congregation, over a six-week period in the weekly bulletins, exactly what the changes were going to be.  Still, there was at least 50% of the congregation that went with the old prayers.

Chase her.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
They were supposed to give you a pamphlet noting the changes?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
They were supposed to give you a pamphlet noting the changes?

We have 8 1/2"X11" cards with the changes on them.  There's nowhere near enough of them--yet.

Chase her.