Author Topic: Blu-Ray DVD Players, Wireless Internet, and How It Doesn't Work  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Blu-Ray DVD Players, Wireless Internet, and How It Doesn't Work
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »
Bought an LG BD670 Blu-Ray player. Never had gone this route before. Recently learned that it's possible to order movies and such online from your TV -- yeah, I know, I'm just a little behind the times.

Attempted to connect with the internet. Distance from the player to my router is no more than 35 feet and around a corner.

While the system found my 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands from my Netgear router, the system wouldn't recognize my router even though I'd plugged in the correct password.

I ultimately had to remove ALL of the various security protocols in order for the player to recognize my router and as soon as I put the security protocol back into place, commo stopped between the player and the internet.

Attempted a "live chat" with one of those people from Bangladesh and that turned out to be a monumental joke. The best thing the critter to say to me was, "Have you tried it on another router?"

I'm about ready to pack this POS up and send it back to where it came from, but I thought I'd post my sad story here and invite commentary.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Blu-Ray DVD Players, Wireless Internet, and How It Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »
Is there a reset button on the player?

I have a wireless access point with my 4G ISP that has to be rebooted occasionally when it doesn't show up on a new computer (yes, it's cheap).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:38 AM »
Is there a reset button on the player?

I have a wireless access point with my 4G ISP that has to be rebooted occasionally when it doesn't show up on a new computer (yes, it's cheap).

The instructions don't mention a reset button, but I'll need to look more closely to confirm.

ETA: This site talks about various issues with this player, but #218 talks about a hard reset.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1317645&page=8
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:05:00 AM by Eupher »

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
I would imagine it is an Issue between the player and your router.  I would make sure your router has the last firmware in place.  Many times they find these bugs and fix them in updates.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
I would imagine it is an Issue between the player and your router.  I would make sure your router has the last firmware in place.  Many times they find these bugs and fix them in updates.

Yeah, I did that when I fired up the router site. Still no dice.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Our Vizio TV has wireless internet capability, and it works fine with my router........just typed in the router password and that was it.  Our BluRay player also has it, but never tried to connect since video streams directly to the TV.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
I found some additional router configuration information that will help, I hope. I'll check on that in a couple of days, as there's no way in hell I have time over the next couple of evenings.

It would appear that my router is too high-tech for the DVD player. The playah can't handle the truth, evidently.  :whatever:

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
PS3 = done!

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
Virtually every Blu-Ray player on the market, outside of the PS3, has horrendous reviews for Wireless Internet capabilities.  Many models from the biggest names that are on the store shelves, are functionally DOA with manufacturer acknowledgement and uncorrected firmware, with no updates available.

Every model I recently looked up at Best Buy, regardless of the price point, had numerous negative reviews on Amazon for wireless interface.  It seems all the manufacturers are having trouble with this, with numerous models being abandoned, even though they're still being sold.  

You can try going to some AV forums or check Amazon reviews for your model, there's usually some recommendations to get basic functionality out of them.  Good luck.

I ended up picking a decent Sony model and rolling the dice.  After quite a bit of frustration, Netflix now works wonders on it... unfortunately I've discovered that not every Blu-Ray movie does  :censored:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
Virtually every Blu-Ray player on the market, outside of the PS3, has horrendous reviews for Wireless Internet capabilities.  Many models from the biggest names that are on the store shelves, are functionally DOA with manufacturer acknowledgement and uncorrected firmware, with no updates available.

Every model I recently looked up at Best Buy, regardless of the price point, had numerous negative reviews on Amazon for wireless interface.  It seems all the manufacturers are having trouble with this, with numerous models being abandoned, even though they're still being sold.  

You can try going to some AV forums or check Amazon reviews for your model, there's usually some recommendations to get basic functionality out of them.  Good luck.

I ended up picking a decent Sony model and rolling the dice.  After quite a bit of frustration, Netflix now works wonders on it... unfortunately I've discovered that not every Blu-Ray movie does  :censored:

I did my research, and the LG BD670 came highly recommended by CNET - a source that I consider to be fairly reliable. I also read the reviews on CNET and Amazon, which is where I bought the thing. After I started having issues, I dug further and ID'd a potential fix.

In terms of reviews, no matter what you're buying, somebody is disaffected by it in some way. So I look at the dirty laundry and try to figure out trends. If the trends seem to point in a specific area, I can somewhat unscientifically conclude that the issue has substance. If not, it's just a shrug of the shoulders. In the end, it's ultimately a roll of the dice.

Part of my issue with Blu-Ray and All-Things-Video-and-Audio these days, is my own learning curve. I don't do PS3 (I even had to look that up!), Wii, or any of those other game boxes, and the technology moves so fast I couldn't keep up even if I wanted to. So there's a ton for me to learn. This issue could very well be a router configuration issue that simply isn't well known or defined -- dunno really.

When I get some time tomorrow (maybe), I'll dig into a bit more.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
I loved my PS3.  I love console games anyway, but with the Blu-Ray and the Apps it rocked.  I sold it but plan on getting another one soon.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman