Author Topic: If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?  (Read 71428 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:45:56 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Kyle Ricky

Re: If True, What Did Joe Paterno Know?
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
Let me give you some incite from someone who actually knows what Penn State is <- I Grew up there, and went to school there ;)

There is no proof of what Joe said or knew. All this is is speculation brought on by one mans word against his; and seeing that Joe no longer with us, there is no way to get to the truth. There are three sides to every story: Their way, your way, and the truth. In order for 1+1 to equal 3 you need to have the second person to give his input.

As for the statue. I was just there looking at it YESTERDAY. They left the choice of what to do with it up to the Penn State president Rodney Erickson (I am so glad that Graham Spanier is gone. He is such a douchebag), and hasn't decided yet. Either way, I don't care if they take it down, or keep it up. Penn State is about a lot more than football. It is about all the very successful people who went there. So whatever they do will NOT keep me from loving the University, or town.

As for the death penalty? There is no way they can get it (Although the NCAA has said that they might bend the rules). In order to get it, you have to be a repeat offender, show lack of institutional control, and violate NCAA policy. They are not repeat offenders, there was no lack of institutional control (it was a cover up), and they did nothing that violated NCAA policy. There will probably be sanctions, but there is no saying what or how severe they will be. They have to make their minds up here soon though because the season starts in about three or four weeks. I got that from a good lawyer friend of mine who knows what he is talking about.

As for who is screaming about what? The largest majority of people who want Penn State to have the death penalty, and want the statue to come down are people who either, A) Don't know what Penn State is (I doubt they could even point it out on a map), B) have no affiliation with the school, and C) never liked Penn State to begin with.

I love Happy Valley. It is my home, and will always be special to me ....

Edit: Edited for grammar ..
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:54:55 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
There is no proof of what Joe said or knew. All this is is speculation brought on by one mans word against his; and seeing that Joe no longer with us, there is no way to get to the truth. There are three sides to every story: Their way, your way, and the truth. In order for 1+1 to equal 3 you need to have the second person to give his input.

No, but there were apparently emails and in those emails, Paterno derailed at least one effort at reporting Sandusky in 2001.  The truth did not die with Paterno.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Well, no offense to Kyle, buddy, but shit, we're talking about college football -- not the election of the next U.S. president or the importance of drinking enough water every day (pretty damned important -- both of those things).

The overriding principle we're seeing here is that people in power tend to protect themselves and, to a greater extent, the institution on which that person in power derives said power.

That, and the crimes committed against those boys, is the bottom line.

The ****ing statue is a non-issue, as is Paterno's "legacy".

But all that said, I'm not a college football fan at all. So I truly don't give a shit about Penn State's football program, the penalties against the program, and how it's gonna hurt them.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
Everyone who knew Joe, called him Joe (His own kids even called him Joe). Even in the emails they sent him - They called him Joe. Those emails were not sent to "Joe". They called him coach. They also do not implicate joe in anything. It is all one persons word against another. I'm not saying that Joe didn't do enough. But the simple fact is that there is no solid proof that he did anything. There are three sides to every story; your side, their side, and the truth. 1+1 can not equal three unless all parties are available to state their case.

And like I said earlier. It didn't matter to me whether they took the statue down or not. Being a student there, I am looking at the school as more than a football program. There are thousands of great people who graduated from there and there is a lot of good the university has done. Football has never been the reason I went there, as is not the reason why thousands of other people went there. The academics are the number one reason why people go there. And if you read some of the latest tweets by the players, you will see that to be the case.

As for Sandusky, he got what he deserved. I am ashamed to admit that I know the man. Gram Spanier should also be in Jail. As he covered this whole thing up. If you look at the time line: When Joe found out, he did what he was supposed to; go through chain of command (Per union rules) and went to Tim Curly and told him about it. Curly in return said that he will handle it and talk to Spanier. Neither one of them went to the police, or did anything about it. So if anyone is to blame as much as Joe is, it is Curly and Spanier. Why aren't they getting crucified? Because Joe was a very popular figure and they are looking for a scape goat. Spanier was more interested in protecting the schools rep than he was kids. He should rot.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:26:08 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
If Paterno really did what he was supposed to have done, why do you think the Board of Regents FIRED him early on? That might've been even before Sandusky was arrested - I can't recall at the moment.

As you rightly point out, there are facts in this case that the rest of us can't even imagine. The only thing we can do is speculate about who said what to whom, and when it was done.

While PSU might otherwise be a fabulous university, the fact remains that this single (comprising dozens of encounters from Sandusky, mind you) overall incident was enough for the NCAA to call up the nuclear option (not quite death penalty, but close).

Kinda funny you don't hear much from the academic accreditation authorities about sanctions THEY'RE going to take against PSU, isn't it?

As far as this story is concerned, it's ALL about football. Not basketball, hockey, or even the debate club. It's about football -- and I read some figures today in the WSJ regarding income that PSU gets from football and these are staggering numbers.

Money talks. Academia walks (apparently).

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
Everyone who knew Joe, called him Joe (His own kids even called him Joe). Even in the emails they sent him - They called him Joe. Those emails were not sent to "Joe". They called him coach. They also do not implicate joe in anything. It is all one persons word against another. I'm not saying that Joe didn't do enough. But the simple fact is that there is no solid proof that he did anything. There are three sides to every story; your side, their side, and the truth. 1+1 can not equal three unless all parties are available to state their case.

And like I said earlier. It didn't matter to me whether they took the statue down or not. Being a student there, I am looking at the school as more than a football program. There are thousands of great people who graduated from there and there is a lot of good the university has done. Football has never been the reason I went there, as is not the reason why thousands of other people went there. The academics are the number one reason why people go there. And if you read some of the latest tweets by the players, you will see that to be the case.

As for Sandusky, he got what he deserved. I am ashamed to admit that I know the man. Gram Spanier should also be in Jail. As he covered this whole thing up. If you look at the time line: When Joe found out, he did what he was supposed to; go through chain of command (Per union rules) and went to Tim Curly and told him about it. Curly in return said that he will handle it and talk to Spanier. Neither one of them went to the police, or did anything about it. So if anyone is to blame as much as Joe is, it is Curly and Spanier. Why aren't they getting crucified? Because Joe was a very popular figure and they are looking for a scape goat. Spanier was more interested in protecting the schools rep than he was kids. He should rot.

Kyle...

First of all, before I address the items I bolded in your post..... I'm a mother of a son who was active in sports when he was in high school. I enjoy and look forward to college football season every year, I grew up and went to college in the midwest, and have lived deep into SEC territory for 30 years, and only really cared about PennState when it came to bowl games. I'm a whole lot older than you and since I'm a woman, I'm sure my view of the world is quite different from yours.

With regard to your comments:

I don't care that people referred to Paterno as Joe or JoePa or Nice Guy or Asshole. Your comment that there is no solid proof that he did anything. Yep, you are right. He did NOTHING! That, Kyle, is the whole point! Joe Paterno did nothing.

So what that he told the higher ups? Because that was the "right thing to do per union rules"? What union? What UNION is going to ALLOW A CHILD TO BE RAPED!!!

Paterno a "scape goat"? Paterno is NOT A SCAPEGOAT!! PATERNO FAILED THE COURSE IN HUMAN DECENCY! IN HUMAN COMPASSION! IN DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THOSE CHILDREN EVEN IF IT WAS JUST ONE CHILD!!

Anyone, ANYONE, who sees or learns of a child being raped or sexually abused, from an EYE WITNESS (who had no axe to grind) has an obligation to call the cops! Not wait for it to go "through the proper channels".

Do you honestly think, if Paterno's report of the abuse - following the proper channels - had been properly processed, he would not have heard about it? And when there was nothing done, do you honestly - HONESTLY believe - Paterno thought it was investigated and resolved with no actiion being taken against Sandusky? NO followup back to Paterno?

You cannot possibly be that naive! Though if you are, you certainly are not alone based on the remarks I have seen on numerous websites - ESPN, FOX, MSNBC, my local paper and tv stations. PennState, by Paterno's and the Administration's handling of the "problem of Sandusky", failed in human decency.

I don't give a rat's patoot that Paterno was a great football coach and a humanitarian!

When it comes down to the bottom line, Paterno failed.

He failed in human decency.

He failed a child who was being raped.

Not just one, but many.

Nothing, NOTHING! can overcome that one failure, as far as I am concerned.

Kyle, you and all the other people who are defending Paterno.....ask yourself one very simple question.

"IF it was YOUR CHILD who was RAPED, would you still defend Paterno?"
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
The board was trying to get rid of Paterno for a couple of years. When this happen they found a loop hole. They fired him without just cause no investigation in the matter. They just went by the word of one man, and got rid of both him and Spanier. Why do you think they did it by phone call at night? Because they knew the backlash they would get. The board is a joke anyhow. Governor Tom Corbett is on the board.

Yes, the university does make a lot of money from the football program. But name a school with a big football program that doesn't? There are schools who make more than Penn State with their football program. The NCAA has stated that they put football before Academics, but if you look at the students who go there, you will find that the majority go for the education and not football.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »

Kyle...

First of all, before I address the items I bolded in your post..... I'm a mother of a son who was active in sports when he was in high school. I enjoy and look forward to college football season every year, I grew up and went to college in the midwest, and have lived deep into SEC territory for 30 years, and only really cared about PennState when it came to bowl games. I'm a whole lot older than you and since I'm a woman, I'm sure my view of the world is quite different from yours.

I don't care that people referred to Paterno as Joe or JoePa or Nice Guy or Asshole. Your comment that there is no solid proof that he did anything. Yep, you are right. He did NOTHING! That, Kyle, is the whole point! Joe Paterno did nothing.

So what that he told the higher ups? Because that was the "right thing to do per union rules"? What union? What UNION is going to ALLOW A CHILD TO BE RAPED!!!

Paterno a "scape goat"? Paterno is NOT A SCAPEGOAT!! PATERNO FAILED THE COURSE IN HUMAN DECENCY! IN HUMAN COMPASSION! IN DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THOSE CHILDREN EVEN IF IT WAS JUST ONE CHILD!!

Anyone, ANYONE, who sees or learns of a child being raped or sexually abused, from an EYE WITNESS (who had no axe to grind) has an obligation to call the cops! Not wait for it to go "through the proper channels".

Do you honestly think, if Paterno's report of the abuse - following the proper channels - had been properly processed, he would not have heard about it? And when there was nothing done, do you honestly - HONESTLY believe - Paterno thought it was investigated and resolved with no actiion being taken against Sandusky? NO followup back to Paterno?

You cannot possibly be that naive! Though if you are, you certainly are not alone based on the remarks I have seen on numerous websites - ESPN, FOX, MSNBC, my local paper and tv stations. PennState, by Paterno's and the Administration's handling of the "problem of Sandusky", failed in human decency.

I don't give a rat's patoot that Paterno was a great football coach and a humanitarian!

Not just one, but many.

Kyle, you and all the other people who are defending Paterno.....ask yourself one very simple question.

:clap: :clap:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
The board was trying to get rid of Paterno for a couple of years. When this happen they found a loop hole. They fired him without just cause no investigation in the matter. They just went by the word of one man, and got rid of both him and Spanier. Why do you think they did it by phone call at night? Because they knew the backlash they would get. The board is a joke anyhow. Governor Tom Corbett is on the board.

Yes, the university does make a lot of money from the football program. But name a school with a big football program that doesn't? There are schools who make more than Penn State with their football program. The NCAA has stated that they put football before Academics, but if you look at the students who go there, you will find that the majority go for the education and not football.

Wow, deb nailed it. You really are defending the indefensible. Better wake up Kyle. You're not getting any younger.

If you mean that they were encouraging Paterno to retire, yeah, I'll grant you that. I read an account that the prez (Spaniel, or whatever) attempted to ease Paterno out, whereupon Paterno basically told Spaniel to stick it up his ass.

That's arrogance, Kyle. Joe Paterno, at the age of 80 or so, is so wrapped up in his power base that he can't even say, hey, I'm outta here for the sake of my family and the few years I've got left.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

Kyle...

Not just one, but many.

First of all. He went to the heads and told them. They didn't do anything. Sure he should have went to the police. But Penn State Union has a rule where you have to go through the chain of command, or risk getting fired. It was a double edge sword for him either way you look it.

And if my child was raped, I would go after Sandusky. Joe did what he was supposed to per union rules. If you are saying that since he didn't go to the police as not doing anything, then I will accept that.

I live here, I seen it first hand. I don't need to look at news papers, or watch news stations to see what is going on. Unless someone is actually here witnessing it, then I guess they will never what actually know what happen.

I'm done with this thread.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
First of all. He went to the heads and told them. They didn't do anything. Sure he should have went to the police. But Penn State Union has a rule where you have to go through the chain of command, or risk getting fired. It was a double edge sword for him either way you look it.

And if my child was raped, I would go after Sandusky. Joe did what he was supposed to per union rules. If you are saying that since he didn't go to the police as not doing anything, then I will accept that.

I live here, I seen it first hand. I don't need to look at news papers, or watch news stations to see what is going on. Unless someone is actually here witnessing it, then I guess they will never what actually know what happen.

I'm done with this thread.

That's probably for the best, Kyle, as Eupher said, you are trying to defend the indefensible.

There is no defense for any of those involved. Sandusky did the deed, of that there is not doubt. But all the rest of them were his enablers. They covered for Sandusky, as did his wife, and that makes them all guilty of lack of human decency. All they cared about was PennState's reputation and the money that rep brought to them as individuals and to the football department and university.

IF Sandusky had been properly dealt with, when the first report was made, Penn State would have survived. Paterno would have survived, as would everyone else. The football program would have survived without any sanctions against it.

As Sir Walter Scott said over 200 years ago..."Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!"

Sandusky was the spider....but Paterno and PennState's Admins wove the web.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
Kyle, my oldest son was a very big Mike Vick fan going from his first game at VT to his arrest in Atlanta.  He was in deep denial that Mike Vick had anything to do with the dog ring and was certain that he was being set up even after Vick admitted his role in the whole thing on TV.  I had to put my arm around him and tell him that there was a very real possibility that Vick was the dumbest sumbitch to play pro football in a long time and he needed to realize that.

You, my friend, are veering dangerously into that area.  From the ESPN article about the report:

Sexual abuse might have been prevented if university officials had banned Sandusky from bringing children onto campus after a 1998 inquiry, the report said. Despite their knowledge of the police probe into Sandusky showering with a boy in a football locker room, Spanier, Paterno, Curley and Schultz took no action to limit his access to campus, the report said.

The report also singled out the revered Penn State football program -- one built on the motto "success with honor" -- for criticism. It says Paterno and university leaders allowed Sandusky to retire in 1999, "not as a suspected child predator, but as a valued member of the Penn State football legacy, with future 'visibility' at Penn State," allowing him to groom victims.

Some of the report's most damning evidence against Paterno consists of handwritten notes and emails that portray him as being involved with a decision by the school officials not to tell child welfare authorities about the 2001 encounter.

Spanier, Schultz and Curley drew up a plan that called for reporting Sandusky to the state Department of Child Welfare. But Curley later said in an email that he changed his mind about the plan "after giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe."

Spanier concurred but noted "the only downside for us is if the message isn't (heard) and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it."

The emails also show Paterno closely followed the 1998 allegation.

You can take at the 267 page report for yourself

Dude, Paterno put his program over the lives and well being of at risk children.  That's it, that's all there is to it.  No he said/she said, he chose his power base over children and enabled a monster to run loose.  I'm sorry if it kills your image of what you remember, but it happened.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
Report: Accusers say abuse pre-'90s
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8170790/penn-state-nittany-lions-new-jerry-sandusky-accusers-say-abuse-dates-1970s-report-says

Three men have told investigators that Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator recently convicted of 45 counts of child sex abuse, molested them in the 1970s and 1980s, The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, Pa., has reported, citing sources close to the case.

Sickening!  :argh: :puke:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:08:29 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

Kyle...

Not just one, but many.

Exactly. Paterno screwed up.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:12:37 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
Report: Accusers say abuse pre-'90s
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8170790/penn-state-nittany-lions-new-jerry-sandusky-accusers-say-abuse-dates-1970s-report-says

Sickening!  :argh: :puke:

Sandusky didn't just have a midlife crisis and decide to start porking young boys. That sick bastard has been doing that shit for decades.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
A good man

Why are the trustees, media, etc. picking on Joe Paterno? He reported the Jerry Sandusky incident to his superiors and it went up to the university president. Upper management “hushed it up,” not Joe. Why aren’t they being persecuted by the Courier-Post and other media? Joe followed protocol.

Paterno was a great person, coach and role model. He won more games than any other college coach. His players had some of the highest graduation rates in the country. He coached through a broken leg and hip. He built a library.

Over all the years, he was not paid as much as Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden and other big-name coaches. Yet the media criticized him negotiating a contract with Penn State after he appeared before the Sandusky grand jury. His contract was expiring, so wouldn’t you do the same?

The man did wonders for Penn State. He gave his life to Penn State. Is this the way the trustees are going to treat him? The trustees should blame themselves for allowing the former president and vice president to cover up the abuse by Sandusky.

How about the abused children; they accepted tickets to Penn State games, lunches, dinners, etc. Didn’t they have motives? Why didn’t they go to their parents, police or school officials? Why are they held blameless? Now, years later, they come forward, including Sandusky’s son.

Wake up, America. Everyone points to Paterno since he was famous. The real blame belongs in many other places.

VINCENT TOMEI

Haddon Heights

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20120804/OPINION01/308040003/A-good-man

What a sick person! This guy sounds like a pervert. :bird:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:17:23 AM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
Sandusky raped young boys in the Penn State football showers.

Paterno knew about Sandusky.

Paterno knew and turned his back.

Paterno doesn't deserve respect just because he had a lot of winning seasons as a football coach.

Paterno turned his back when it really mattered.

To hell with Paterno.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
Sandusky raped young boys in the Penn State football showers.

Paterno knew about Sandusky.

Paterno knew and turned his back.

Paterno doesn't deserve respect just because he had a lot of winning seasons as a football coach.

Paterno turned his back when it really mattered.

To hell with Paterno.

Pretty much...

C.S. Lewis

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
Feds probe possible Jerry Sandusky child porn ring
http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/article/267753/81/Feds-probe-possible-Sandusky-child-porn-ring

Jerry Sandusky and major Penn State donor 'abused two boys aboard a private plane', claims new witness
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187748/Penn-State-sex-abuse-scandal-Witness-says-saw-Sandusky-donor-abuse-boys.html#ixzz23RQGXoP5

Looks like Sandusky could be part of a child porn and pedophile ring.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:22:21 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Pretty much...

Agreed. Joe Paterno is scum.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Joe Paterno distraught after firing.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8272847/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-distraught-firing

The AP article states that Paterno lamented to his son Jay that he tried to make his name mean something but now that is all gone. 

:whatever:

Not a tear for the children that were savaged, no real regret at what he enabled in favor of the Penn State brand, just sadness for his tarnished legacy.

**** you, Joe, you now have eternity to contemplate what you did...

C.S. Lewis

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8272847/penn-state-nittany-lions-joe-paterno-distraught-firing

The AP article states that Paterno lamented to his son Jay that he tried to make his name mean something but now that is all gone. 

Not a tear for the children that were savaged, no real regret at what he enabled in favor of the Penn State brand, just sadness for his tarnished legacy.

Joe's reaction is kinda understandable, actually. This is a guy who was worshiped everywhere he went. He could do no wrong. He was on top of the world. For decades, this man was essentially accountable to no one but himself, so his ego took a healthy rise skywards.

When it all came crashing down, essentially instantaneously after so many decades of being worshiped like a king, his ego did his speaking for him -- certainly not his empathy, should he have had some.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »

Someone should call the Whambulance for Joe Paterno.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du