Author Topic: Problem with timer in windshield wiper motor  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
Problem with timer in windshield wiper motor
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »
Frank suggested I post my problem here, so I hope it's okay!  :-)

Anyway, I'm having a problem with my windshield wiper motor. I have a 1998 Buick Century that I keep in very good condition. But I'm having a problem with it I haven't had with any other car I've ever had. The windshield wipers work, but they won't go back down once they're done doing their job. They're stuck in the up position on my windshield. They work, but they're stuck. I've been advised it's a problem with the timer part in the wiper motor, and it'll be about $250-300 to replace. I'm gonna wait until I get back home next week (I live in SD, but drove to OH for a family visit last week), to my own mechanic (and so hubby can help pay for it, too, lol), but I just would like to know if anyone knows if there's something that can be done that doesn't involve intense work for a mechanic and pain for the wallet. Thanks.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Problem with timer in windshield wiper motor
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »
As long as they work, don't tempt fate.  Wait until you get home. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
I wish I still had my Century service manual (I had a '92).

I found three parts for the wiper system.  The motor ($100), the pulse board ($50), and the stalk/switch ($300).  Then there's the various linkages, cogs, and gears connecting everything together. 

A bad pulse board would not supply enough electricity to the motor for the wipers to drop down into the off position when they're switched off.  That would be the easy fix. 

Just my two cents.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »
its a goner
be careful tho, had my entire steering wheel burst into flames with some sorta motor thingee with my wipers...made it very  hard to drive in that thunderstorm..

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:11:11 AM »
If you have interval wipers then most likely it's the park relay on the board like Chris said. You should be able to get a new board for around $40 or so. GM had lots of troubles with that around the time your car was built.

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
As long as they work, don't tempt fate.  Wait until you get home. 

That's just what I was thinking; I don't want to mess with them until I make it home. I don't wanna be stuck in Podunk, WI, at the mercy of the town mechanic.

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
If you have interval wipers then most likely it's the park relay on the board like Chris said. You should be able to get a new board for around $40 or so. GM had lots of troubles with that around the time your car was built.

That would be great if that's all it is, instead of having to replace the entire motor. It seems to me that it's not the entire motor, since the wipers do work.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
You might even be able to find the part on ebay!

I have bought several auto parts there with great luck.

When the wipers do not return, the best way to describe it to someone is by saying "wipers do not park"....most mechanics will know right away what you are saying....but you also did a good job with the description of the problem,

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
I had a friend looking for an A/C controller switch for his Grand Am.  He called AutoZone, Napa, Pep Boys and everybody else and was complaining about the $250 price tag.  Found multiple parts on eBay for less than $40.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »
I had a friend looking for an A/C controller switch for his Grand Am.  He called AutoZone, Napa, Pep Boys and everybody else and was complaining about the $250 price tag.  Found multiple parts on eBay for less than $40.

Yeah, it always amazes me....

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 01:05:57 AM »

Yeah, it always amazes me....

Not me....you can find all sorts of pirated goods and materials on e-bay.   if there is a buck to be made on a part....somebody is making a clone of it

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »
If I'm buying parts online I get them from  http://www.rockauto.com/
I looked up a 98 Regal and they have the pulse board for under $39

Just as a guess I looked up a 95 Grand Am. AC control heads for under $22
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:30:38 AM by Randy »