Author Topic: Toileting running  (Read 1564 times)

Offline longview

Toileting running
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »
My toilet is running off and on.  I replaced the flapper.  Lined it up and all, and it still ran.  Since I keep some spare parts around, I had an extra and put that one in.  Who knows, the other could have had a defect.  Yeah, not likely.

It's still running periodically.  Actually worse than before.  :banghead:

This house is old.  Over 100 years old.  When I moved in it hadn't been lived in for a couple years.  I had to replace the gaskets and bolts between the tank and bowl.  Since the commode is an old model, and our hardware store doesn't carry every brand, I made do.  Leveled it.  Tried to get good seals.  Things were okay for months.  I don't have any water leaking now either.  I don't even know why I mentioned that.  Must be the sound of water running on and off that's making me goofy.

Could it be I need to replace the post that the flapper seats on?  When I have tried readjusting the flapper to center it over the hole, it moves very easily.  Easier than I recall any other that I've messed with moving.

Or am I missing some other really basic thing?

Offline longview

Re: Toileting running
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
Oh, the gasket that the flappers sits on was replaced when I changed the rest of the tank to bowl parts.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
If it were me I'd just purchase an entire replacement cistern.

Did so not so long ago here. Cost something like $80 for a cistern kit and about 20 minutes to replace.

I also replaced the shutoff valve before the cistern at the same time.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
Try lowering or raising the float level , or whatever the thing that controls the valve.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:35:01 AM »
      The seat for the gasket is maybe shot. Especially if it is brass. Run your finger around the seat and see..  You may have to replace the entire Douglas valve...  (the seat and over flow)

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »
Check the chain on the flapper.  Sometimes they start to kink, so hold the flapper slightly too high after a flush.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline longview

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »
Thanks, all. 

I might look online for parts made for this model, too.  Even though jerry-rigging is more the cowboy way!

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:25:39 AM »
call a plumber  :popcorn:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline longview

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
Mentioned to a friend at work that I was going to look for new parts for an old toilet and she thought that had a couple complete kits.  I was able to pick one up, come home and change it all out and it fixed the problem.  I hate wasting water and turning the water supply off and on was a pain, so I'm very glad.  Now I just owe her some baked goods.  The kit I took was the older of the two they had, so they didn't want cash since the gaskets might not be the best.