Author Topic: Crockpot Recipes  (Read 28114 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Crockpot Recipes
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Thought I'd make a thread for this since I'm using the Crockpot more, feel free to add any recipes you have.

I'm making this tonight, the gravy is awesome from what I've tasted so far. The only thing I did different was substituting the Au Jus with 1 can of beef broth, and I also added 1 packet of brown gravy to the sauce. Someone in the comments section mentioned substituting mushroom soup for the cream of chicken soup:

Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-salisbury-steak/detail.aspx

Ingredients

* 2 pounds lean ground beef
* 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
* 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix
* 3/4 cup water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, onion soup mix, bread crumbs, and milk using your hands. Shape into 8 patties.

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the patties in flour just to coat, and quickly brown on both sides in the hot skillet. Place browned patties into the slow cooker stacking alternately like a pyramid. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, au jus mix, and water. Pour over the meat. Cook on the Low setting for 4 or 5 hours, until ground beef is well done.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 388 | Total Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 75mg
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Crockpot Recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
Thanks! 

This is one I will try.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
Oh, I forgot to give a review.

It came out awesome BUT I was so sick the next day, the sauce tasted great but it was way too rich, it doesn't help that the meat was I think 80/20, so on top of the richness of the sauce there was a ton of grease in there. No 1 else had a problem with it in my house and everyone loved it, but I have stomach issues sometimes and this really threw my stomach for a loop.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »
Some of the crockpot instructions I see tell you not to put the ceramic pot in the refrigerator, but it makes it easier to skim off grease and fat after it's cooled.  If I have a lot of time I'll do that after letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight.  Besides, it's better on the second day anyway.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
Some of the crockpot instructions I see tell you not to put the ceramic pot in the refrigerator, but it makes it easier to skim off grease and fat after it's cooled.  If I have a lot of time I'll do that after letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight.  Besides, it's better on the second day anyway.

I never thought of that but it sounds like a good idea. Also maybe I should've cooked it for a few hours with no other ingredients in the pot so I could drain the grease out.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
Chris, I put my Crockpot insert in the fridge for that reason.  BG, if you do this, make sure your insert has cooled off completely before you put it in the fridge. 

I cook in my crockpot every week, at least once. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
I cook in my crockpot every week, at least once. 
I think I forgot my crockpot at a friend's house four years ago and left it there.

I love my cast-iron dutch oven.  It's almost all I use anymore.  Grilled cheese sandwiches, steaks, reheating leftovers, etc.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
My wife makes Italian beef for sandwiches in a crock pot. She just buys a nice roast and dumps a quart of Italian peperoncini on top of it.

That's it! Simple, and just let it cook all day long. Then the meat falls apart, and the peperoncinis are a nice touch to eat with the sandwiches.

Viola! Delicious!  :drool:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:51:30 AM »
I think I forgot my crockpot at a friend's house four years ago and left it there.

I love my cast-iron dutch oven.  It's almost all I use anymore.  Grilled cheese sandwiches, steaks, reheating leftovers, etc.

I hear ya, cast iron is awesome.  I love mine too.  Aside from a few pots, that is all I use.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline JLO

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »
I hear ya, cast iron is awesome.  I love mine too.  Aside from a few pots, that is all I use.

I just recently started using a new 6" iron cast skillet.  We use it so much, we store it on top of the stove-top.  It's a dream for an oven omelet/quiche dish.

:hi:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 08:39:58 AM »
I just recently started using a new 6" iron cast skillet.  We use it so much, we store it on top of the stove-top.  It's a dream for an oven omelet/quiche dish.

:hi:

Oh yes JLO cast iron is back in style.  The kitchen stores that sell the Chiefs brands of cook ware for $300 for just one pot or fry pan, all the non stick ware that does scratch up and fumes are not good for health for air breathing mammals or birds.------Life time of these pots, pans and rosters is about 10-15 years.   

Cast iron life is unknown, some of us have hand down from great grand parents, they become family heirlooms.  Love the pans I have, over 100 years old, still with care, non stick and adding a bit of iron to the food.

Problem is the mass, the weight of the smallest item.   Bring a bubbling hight heat pot out of the oven often needs 2 people to do so.    Stove top, both hands needed with thick kitchen gloves.  The cast iron covers are also heavy, storing all this can be a problem. 

One can buy celling racks to hang light pots on but I would never take the chance of hanging cast iron unless I had a 4x8 beam and industrial grade hooks.

I do not boil water in them for tea or vegetables by themselves.   These Iron pans are work horses for the big stuff, big or steady heat, for roasting, frying meat, stews and grilling steaks etc.

I collect different cast iron from yard sales and thrift shops.   I have a few pot holders and even a couple of interesting corn bread devices to bake corn bread into the shape of an ear of corn.

As I mentioned before, it is a matter of storage that is the only problem with this cook ware.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »
Cast iron cookware? If you want to buy some, always check that the inside bottom has been "polished". Get at least a 10", and find a glass lid for it at Walmart.

Ground beef or hamburger? Always brown it in the skillet, and drain the grease, before adding to the crockpot.

Amazon is a good source, and Lodge is one of the best brands.

Chili, beef stew, ground beef with egg noodles, ground beef with all kinds of Mexican or Italian stuff......the list goes on and on about what you can do with a crock pot.

BTW, my wife can't boil water without burning it, so I'm the family cook, too!
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
There's one incredibly simple crockpot recipe I make from time to time.  It calls for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of round steak, cut into single serving sizes.  Just layer the meat with a mixed packet of dry onion soup mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a quarter cup of water.  Cook on low about 8 hours and serve with mashed potatoes, and a vegetable plus bread, if so desired.

I love my crockpot and use it quite often.  But the round steak recipe is for when I am feeling extra, extra lazy.

Also, if you bring the following to a party, you will be a hit:

3 pounds Velveeta cheese (in block form)
3 cans BEANLESS chili
3 6 oz cans green chili peppers, drained (I use Ortega)
chopped green onions on top for garnish, and flavor

I never get to bring any of the dip home, so try to remember to scoop out some to keep before leaving the house.

One final note re skimming fat off the top of crockpot recipes.  If I want to do that, I'll make the dish and let it cool part way in the pot, then transfer the food from the pot into a large Tupperware mixing bowl.  Then I place the bowl in my fridge and wait until the next day, when the meal has completely cooled and the fat is ready to be skimmed from the top.  I'd never considered putting my crockpot's ceramic holder in the fridge before, but apparently I could have saved a step. :thatsright:Oh well, now I can say I've learned something today.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
I do that all the time!  I just make sure it's room temp before I put it in the fridge, and room temp before I turn the heat on.

Doing beef stew tonight, to cook overnight and have for tomorrow. 

Something else good for the crockpot.  Swedish Meatballs.

I make my meatballs with ground beef (80%), diced onion, some garlic, 2 slices of bread with 1/4 of milk splashed onto them, one egg, s&p, parsley, a squirt of ketchup.  Roll into balls and bake in a 350 oven for 1/2 hour.  Cool. 

In crockpot, whisk together cream of mushroom, jarred brown gravy, rinse out the can & jar with a little cooking wine, add that.  If cream of mushroom is condensed, add 1/2 can milk.  Add in your meatballs & let cook on low for 6 + hours.  Add some sour cream at end if desired (don't boil after that).  Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles.   

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
I got this recipe from friends, they said it was awesome, I'm making it tonight, it smelled so good when they were making it the other day:

Cube Steak in the Crockpot

Cube Steak
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Package Dry Onion Soup Mix
3/4 C Water

Put cube steak in the crockpot, add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 package of dry onion soup mix, 3/4 C of water and mix. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

They made mash potatoes on the side, but I decided to cut some potatoes and add it to the crockpot, and I also added french green beans.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
There's one incredibly simple crockpot recipe I make from time to time.  It calls for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of round steak, cut into single serving sizes.  Just layer the meat with a mixed packet of dry onion soup mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a quarter cup of water.  Cook on low about 8 hours and serve with mashed potatoes, and a vegetable plus bread, if so desired.

I love my crockpot and use it quite often.  But the round steak recipe is for when I am feeling extra, extra lazy.

That sounds like the recipe I just posted.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

About placing the ceramic pot in the ice box.   

I have a small wood cutting board that I place on the shelf with the pot on top of it.   We have a sort of new refergrater side by side with the clear plastic--I believe---shelves over the racks and bins.    I worry that placing a hot pan on the plastic will melt it.

There is also the fact that I fear if too hot the pot will heat up the other stuff inside.  I give the pot a 30-45 minute cool off period until I can handle the pot with bare hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

Same like the one I use for thick (1"+) bone-in pork chops. Then I add sliced white onion.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
I got this recipe from friends, they said it was awesome, I'm making it tonight, it smelled so good when they were making it the other day:

Cube Steak in the Crockpot

Cube Steak
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Package Dry Onion Soup Mix
3/4 C Water

Put cube steak in the crockpot, add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 package of dry onion soup mix, 3/4 C of water and mix. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

They made mash potatoes on the side, but I decided to cut some potatoes and add it to the crockpot, and I also added french green beans.

I'm going to go get a new crockpot and try this recipe. Thanks Bally.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
I'm going to go get a new crockpot and try this recipe. Thanks Bally.

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys how we liked it, it was awesome, the cube steak literally felt apart, it was so good, and the potatoes and french green beans were cooked perfect and absorbed the juices.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Oh, I forgot to tell you guys how we liked it, it was awesome, the tube steak literally felt apart, it was so good, and the potatoes and french green beans were cooked perfect and absorbed the juices.

Really.. :naughty:

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
LOL wine. I'm making this again tonight.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:22:07 PM »
I'll bet you are.

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
My favorite crock pot recipe.....

1/2 cup salt per pound of peanuts, cook on high for 15 hours.

I'm a guy. What do I know about slow cooking anything other than boiled peanuts. :-)
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Bumping, because it's that time of year again.

This looks really good... I am definitely going to have to try this one.

Souper Sunday: Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup

- Brown the ground beef . Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onions, carrots, and celery in 1 TBS Butter
- Place beef, vegetables, chicken broth, potatoes, and Italian seasoning in the Crock Pot.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving In a small skillet, melt remaining 3 Tbs butter and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup.
- Add milk, salt, pepper and sour cream.