Author Topic: India food help  (Read 2072 times)

Offline ChuckJ

India food help
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Seeing frank post in the DUmpster about DU's cooking/recipe forum reminded me that we have this place here so I thought I'd see if maybe any of you could help me out with a recipe. My problem is that I know very little about what I'm looking for. Not even a name.

When my wife and I first got married we lived in an apartment complex that was owned by an Indian family (not native American). The Indian lady didn't speak much English, but once she somehow found out that I liked spicy food she would occasional send some of her cooking to me. There were usually two things that she would send. I don't know the names of either one.

The first I called Balls of Mostly Fire. They were little balls that appeared to possibly be fried. They were good, but after the first bite all you tasted was fire.

The second item, which is what I've been trying to find the recipe for, was a rolled up something or other. It was maybe 2 inches long and maybe one-half an inch in diameter. It looked almost like some sort of lasagna pasta that was rolled up. It had flakes of coconut. Some little round black seed things. Some small pieces of green leafs of some sort. It was spicy but not overpowering hot.

Anyone have any idea what the rolled up thing was?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: India food help
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
What else was in that roll?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
What else was in that roll?

I don't have a clue. I just know what I seen, and I was eating instead of inspecting. All I know is a small amount of what appeared to be shredded coconut, little black seed looking things, and flakes of green leaf looking stuff.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
I don't have a clue. I just know what I seen, and I was eating instead of inspecting. All I know is a small amount of what appeared to be shredded coconut, little black seed looking things, and flakes of green leaf looking stuff.

Well the black seeds were most likely black sesame seeds. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
The rolls might be Surali Wadi

http://notecook.com/appetizers/surali-wadi-gram-flour-based-appetizer/

I don't know if that's them, but it looks exactly like it. Thanks.