Author Topic: primitives discuss beef stew  (Read 3068 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss beef stew
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
Golden potatoes are the best for stews and soups.  They don't fall apart when you cook them cubed.  Potato salad too.

Red potatoes make good mashed potatoes, brown potatoes make good baked potatoes and french fries.

My opinion only.

Well, that's more than I know, so it's become my opinion too.

I always wondered why my mother boiled only red potatoes for mashed potatoes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
Hmmmm...beef stew chunks, and potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots.  Meat and vegetables in roughly equal amounts (don't even THINK of browning the stew beef first), add a couple cups of broth, maybe a sprig of rosemary if you're really bold, salt and pepper, let it slow cook for about 8-10 hours.

Why do DUmmies have to make shit so damned hard?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
I'll fry up the meat just to get a little color onto it, throw everything in and cook it all day.

I toss in the chunks of sirloin raw, because it's never been a problem getting them cooked all the way through.

My main problem has always been with the potatoes, because it seems nothing can ruin a good stew more than having chunks of potatoes not cooked all the way through.  Ugh.

I finally solved that problem years ago, though, with the potatoes.  I'll describe it when giving my recipe.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
Hmmmm...beef stew chunks, and potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots.  Meat and vegetables in roughly equal amounts (don't even THINK of browning the stew beef first), add a couple cups of broth, maybe a sprig of rosemary if you're really bold, salt and pepper, let it slow cook for about 8-10 hours.

Why do DUmmies have to make shit so damned hard?

I would never think to add all those spices that the OP is adding to the stew.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
I toss in the chunks of sirloin raw, because it's never been a problem getting them cooked all the way through.

My main problem has always been with the potatoes, because it seems nothing can ruin a good stew more than having chunks of potatoes not cooked all the way through.  Ugh.

I finally solved that problem years ago, though, with the potatoes.  I'll describe it when giving my recipe.

That's why a lot of times we do mashed potatoes and just put the stew over it.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
I would never think to add all those spices that the OP is adding to the stew.

DUmmie logic...a little is good, so more must be better?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
My version of beef stew

Season cubed beef with salt and pepper and fry on high heat in batches until the outside is sealed and set aside.

While preparing beef , fry onions , garlic and bacon in a large pot with a little peanut oil until onions are well caramelised and bacon is cooked.

Add beef to onions/bacon/garlic until the mix is all at the same temperature.

Add 3 cups of stock , 2 cups of water, 2 sticks celery diced, a can of tomatoes and a good slug of red wine.

Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.

Reduce by up to 1/2.

Add chopped carrots and other vegetable material to taste, cover and simmer slowly until vegetables are done.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
One thing I must ask, hesitantly, because I'm likely to get hammered on it.

I use white potatoes when making stew, not red potatoes.

I have the impression--I know not where I got the impression, but there it is--that using white potatoes rather than red potatoes in stew is not kosher.

I'm sure there's some botanical difference between white and red potatoes, but wouldn't know what it is.

I use whatever is on sale.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
I'm sure I've seen a bazillion recipes for beef stew.
DUmmy Blues Heron has come up with the worst, bar none.
Anise? In beef stew? Peas?

Beef stew is one of a bunch of dishes that are great and so simple by just using a packet of McCormick's spices.

I have never tried anything in McCormick's product line that wasn't excellent.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
I use whatever is on sale.

Cindie

When even "cheap" potatoes are pushing a buck a pound, you know shit's getting bad.

Offline Paul Heinzman

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
Momma used to make some good beef stew. It had beef and taters in it. It had salt and pepper. Sometimes carrots.

If you told momma she needed to put the below ingredients in beef stew she'd hit you with a spoon and tell you she wasn't cooking spaghetti.
2 bay leaves
coriander
oregano
thyme
basil
marjoram
caraway seeds
3 blades star anise
3 cloves

A lot of redundant flavors going on there, I'd probably ditch the anise, cloves, and oregano and either the basil or the thyme. I do love thyme in a beef stew.

I like to throw a handful of prunes in my beef stew/beef burgundy for sweetness and body. However, I'd keep my culinary opinions to myself around your momma.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I like to throw a handful of prunes in my beef stew
Okay, that's a joke, right?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
Oh my.  This thead's drawn lots and lots of lurking primitives, in addition to the threads dealing with hamburgers and chili.  It's all good, because remember, one of the missions of the DUmpster is to illuminate and enlighten the primitives, showing them the merits of decency and civilization.

I'm not ready yet to unleash the recipe for franksolich's beef stew, which is likely to bring down upon these shoulders much jeering, deprecation, and dismay--I'll probably wait until tomorrow to do that--but a thought grabs me.  Why does one make beef stew?

Think about it.  Why does one make beef stew?

As thundley4 earlier mentioned, it's really easy just to get a can of the stuff, dump it into a pot, and cook it in minutes.  I do this all the time.  It's no big deal, and I've never had a bad can of the stuff.

So why, about once a month during the cold months, does franksolich bother dragging out two 8-quart crockpots and mess up the kitchen and kitchen utensils, making this stuff?

For me, I guess it's just a routine rite of autumn.

The first weekend the stuff's bubbling in the kitchen, usually the first to have any of it is the neighbor's wife and three of her four small children (the fourth being too small yet).  The neighbor's wife and I go to the big city to shop every Saturday morning.  The neighbor's busy, she doesn't like to drive, and there's of course the four small children.

I don't like to drive either, but being the man, I bear that burden.

When they first get here on Saturday morning, they all scramble to the kitchen, where the neighbor's wife carefully doles out three bowls of the beef stew to the children (the fourth one's still an infant, remember), along with crackers and hot chocolate.  While they wolf it down, the neighbor's wife and I discuss where we're going.

The first weekend of deer-hunting season, the first weekend of duck hunting, the first weekend of deer-hunting via firearms, the first weekend of pheasant hunting, the first weekend of turkey-hunting.....well, remember where I live, way out here, where nobody else is around.  And right on the Elkhorn River, no less.  Woods and pastures all around.

From about mid-October until late January, this place might as well be Grand Central Terminal, all these hunters dropping by to get out of the cold and the wet, to empty their bladders, to have some hot coffee and whatever else.

I don't mind it--in fact, I encourage it--because I live out here all alone, and such people are deterrents to primitives stalking franksolich.  If a primitive with malicious motives sees franksolich surrounded by other guys with firearms, usually the primitive decides not to bother.....   
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Paul Heinzman

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
Okay, that's a joke, right?

No joke. Prunes and beef are very good together, like cranberries and turkey or apples and pork.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »
Think about it.  Why does one make beef stew?

As thundley4 earlier mentioned, it's really easy just to get a can of the stuff, dump it into a pot, and cook it in minutes.  I do this all the time.  It's no big deal, and I've never had a bad can of the stuff.

So why, about once a month during the cold months, does franksolich bother dragging out two 8-quart crockpots and mess up the kitchen and kitchen utensils, making this stuff?

When it's cold out I just love the smell of things like stew and soup cooking on the stove. I want to start using the crockpot more, just throw everything in and let it cook all day.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »
When it's cold out I just love the smell of things like stew and soup cooking on the stove. I want to start using the crockpot more, just throw everything in and let it cook all day.
There you go, Bally. The stove is for boiling water. The crock pot is where dinner is hiding.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »
I never saw it coming that the DUmbasses could become so deadly boring that this board would be dominated by stupid recipe threads.

Nutcase, Warpy, DentalJanitor, Husb2Spunkly, Taverner, Lucian, Beth, and the rest of you lunatics, pleeeease get busy! This is awful!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
I never saw it coming that the DUmbasses could become so deadly boring that this board would be dominated by stupid recipe threads.

Nutcase, Warpy, DentalJanitor, Husb2Spunkly, Taverner, Lucian, Beth, and the rest of you lunatics, pleeeease get busy! This is awful!

I know, but at least for now, all the primitives seem to be jibber-jabbering about is the Siege of Wall Street, which is hardly news. 

One takes what one can, to fill in the empty spaces.

By the way, I suspect the sparkling husband dude's gone away from Skins's island.

I dunno why.

But there is a new entry in "the secret diaries of nadin," in the DUmping Ground.

Like I said, when Skins's island is in a funk, one scrambles for material.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
By the way, I suspect the sparkling husband dude's gone away from Skins's island.

I dunno why.
Nope, he's started three or four threads the past couple of days, none of them worth a damn.
I think he may be in shock from the the full-backal nudity he's been exposed to here.
So am I.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

:lmao:

And OMG! at franks Avi! :lmao:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Nope, he's started three or four threads the past couple of days, none of them worth a damn.

I think he may be in shock from the the full-backal nudity he's been exposed to here.

So am I.

Wow.  That's weird; I haven't seen him, and usually the telescope's fine-tuned to look around for him.

Another one of concern is the subway cat, who's been quiet.  Maybe she's back in that big building with little rooms and soft walls, where of course she belongs.

But man, even Doug's stupid ex-wife has been Calvin-Coolidgeish of late--there was a deal about her meeting her felon son's girlfriend, but it was pretty boring.

On the second matter, I know nothing.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
I have a question for NHSparky.  Why wouldn't you brown the beef first?  How do you get any kind of color to the dish?   And, it doesn't sound like you thicken yours, is yours more of a soup?  I'm in Shadeaux's camp with the roux, I think it's essential.  Just dredging the cubes in flour is not going to be enough.  I don't want soup, I want thick stew. 

Anise and cloves in a beef stew?  Only a DUmmie would do that. 

Frank, we're waiting for your recipe.  Are you still on vacation? 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
Frank, we're waiting for your recipe.  Are you still on vacation?

Since the primitives are back into active production of material for us to consume, this thread isn't needed any more to fill up dull Monday afternoons, but anyway, here it goes.

I've already described the meat I use--the eye, or heart, of sirloin, so as to avoid any fat (the cats get the thick trimmings)--and the potatoes, white, because they're easier to peel.

Being a man, I'm rather, uh, schlamperei, in a gemütlichkeit sort of way, rather casual and sloppy about measurements and ingredients.

In each 8-quart crockpot, on the lowest heat, I dump in a can of Campbell's tomato soup, a can of Del Monte tomato sauce, a can of Del Monte tomato paste, and if I happen to have it on hand, a can of Del Monte spaghetti sauce (the sauce without mushrooms and peppers in it), and then add water.

The goal being a liquid with a little more thickness than water, but less thick than soup.

To fine-tune that, I use Heinz ketchup if it needs thickening, water if it needs thinning.

Lots of salt and pepper.

Then I leave it alone overnight, on that lowest heat.  In the morning, I add the chopped-up white potatoes, and more salt and pepper, and some onion salt.

The goal being to get the potatoes cooked all the way through.

Sometime in the evening, I add the chopped-up sirloin, about as much meat as there are potatoes, a 50-50 thing.

Lots of salt and pepper, and more onion salt.

The next morning, I take bags of frozen vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, celery), and dump some of those in.  Vegetables deteriorate rather quickly, so I put in only as much vegetables that might be consumed the first hour or so (the other ingredients last longer), meaning that I'm adding a handful of vegetables about an hour before each time the beef stew is served.

And now my secret.

When I moved to this house in the autumn of 2005, it'd been unoccupied the preceding 19 years.  Its last inhabitant had been an ancient widow, daughter of the original settlers of the place.  There was stuff still here, undisturbed, untouched, including two cupboards full of those old-fashioned tins of spices and herbs.

These tins were so old the address of the manufacturer was listed as New York 7, New York (rather than "New York City [zip code]").  No UPCs; made way before then.  And price-stamped with the old-fashioned ink-stampers, 19 cents, 15 cents, 22 cents, 29 cents.  The most common price was 19 cents, the highest one 39 cents for 6 ounces of poppyseed.

Just to be safe, all of those that had been opened and part of their contents used, I tossed out.  Which left about half of the rest, never opened, never used. 

So I began using them, these antique spices and herbs.

There's some that do not belong in beef stew, such as cinnamon or anise or poppyseed, but not being familiar with spices and herbs overall, I go by smell.  If its odor seems compatible with beef stew, I put a little tiny bit of it in the stew.  Not much, just a little tiny bit.  I imagine that out of about 20 tins, it amounts to circa half a teaspoon, combined, put into the 8-quart crockpot.

No one, but no one, has ever found fault with franksolich's beef stew.....despite the absence of onions, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and whatever else.  I think using 40- or 50-year-old spices and herbs adds something "special" to it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
I'm making Meatloaf for Sun. dinner!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
I'm making Meatloaf for Sun. dinner!

I'm too laz--er, tired--to start a new thread on this, madam.

As you might, or might not, know, this coming weekend is the "big" weekend for hunting in Nebraska, and then next weekend is the second-biggest.

Which means I'll have guests.

Since the matter of half-raw potatoes in beef stew concerns me, I went to the grocery store to buy a couple of bags of frozen whole or half potatoes, to see if that works for Saturday.  Since I take two days to make beef stew, I'm cutting it close, but there's still time to experiment.

So.....I found out that this superbig, superlarge, San-Diego-sized grocery store has a couple of miles of aisle dedicated to bags of frozen fruits and vegetables, but no bags of frozen whole or half potatoes.

When I inquired of the matter, the guy who was stocking the coolers looked at me as if I were Bozo from Outer Space; he'd never heard of such a thing, bags of frozen whole or half potatoes.

We did however find bags of frozen "stew vegetables"--potatoes, carrots, onions and celery--and I'm hoping that will provide sufficient potatoes, although I'm not sure.  I suppose I'll have to dump the bag into a bowl first, and carefully extricate the onions.

When I went by the meat aisle, it was still early, and not everything had been put out yet.  I couldn't find the "eye of round" (or "sirloin" or whatever) that I usually cut up for the stew, and so bought a bunch of "beef chuck boneless petite tender steaks," at $4.88 per pound.  I bought about four pounds of that, carefully selecting the parts that had no fat on them.  It's not quite what I wanted, but I guess it'll do at least for this experiment.
apres moi, le deluge