Author Topic: Obama Administration to Ban Asthma Inhalers Over Environmental Concerns  (Read 11726 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Asthma patients who rely on over-the-counter inhalers will need to switch to prescription-only alternatives as part of the federal government's latest attempt to protect the Earth's atmosphere.

The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday patients who use the epinephrine inhalers to treat mild asthma will need to switch by Dec. 31 to other types that do not contain chlorofluorocarbons, an aerosol substance once found in a variety of spray products.

The action is part of an agreement signed by the U.S. and other nations to stop using substances that deplete the ozone layer, a region in the atmosphere that helps block harmful ultraviolet rays from the Sun.

But the switch to a greener inhaler will cost consumers more. Epinephrine inhalers are available via online retailers for around $20, whereas the alternatives, which contain the drug albuterol, range from $30 to $60.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/daily/daily.asp
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline CG6468

Re: Obama Administration to Ban Asthma Inhalers Over Environmental Concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
How much ****ing chlorofluorocarbons can these things contain?  :mad:

Jesus Christmas! The EPA and this administration have gone over the cliff!  :killemall:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Next there will be a surcharge on the prescriptions for Albuterol to help poor people Obama voters buy theirs.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
I remember a huge whoop-de-doo over the hole in the ozone layer back in the early 90's. Something about if we don't act now the earth will be uninhabitable in 5-10 or 15 years.

Whatever came of that whole soiree ?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
The FDA finalized plans to phase out the products in 2008 and currently only Armstrong Pharmaceutical's Primatene mist is available in the U.S. Other manufacturers have switched to an environmentally-friendly propellant called hydrofluoroalkane.

This was the GWB administration that did this.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »
I remember a huge whoop-de-doo over the hole in the ozone layer back in the early 90's. Something about if we don't act now the earth will be uninhabitable in 5-10 or 15 years.

Whatever came of that whole soiree ?
Al Gore discovered Global Warming.

I think before the ozone layer was acid rain.  That was popular during the Reagan administration.  Before that was the smog Nazis and C.A.R.B.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »
Just ordered one.  I usually use a prescription albuterol inhaler, but since I need a refill anyways and I have a high deductible insurance plan at the moment, I might as well get it over the counter while I can.