Author Topic: Help With Bar Cookies  (Read 1618 times)

Offline VivisMom

Help With Bar Cookies
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
So I made chocolate chip bar cookies today, and I followed the directions for cooking them in a pan instead of on a sheet. The middles are underdone slightly, not gooey but definitely softer than I would like. Anyone have any hints for me? I used butter, not Crisco, and a glass pan.

Offline shadeaux

Re: Help With Bar Cookies
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »
Was it a scratch recipe ?  If it was, not enough flour.  Or you didn't chill your dough enough.

Glass pans aren't good for cookies.

If you want really good baked cookies, invest in these :

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/15259/09_2007/bksht_insulated.jpeg

You will not be disappointed.  I've had them for 15 years and it's the best.  They are not expensive, get the insulated kind.  Nothing sticks to them.

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »
VM....did you cook them at a lower temp because of the glass dish? Was the glass dish a 9x13? If it was a bit smaller, your bars were deeper and that's why they didn't cook completely through.

If you want them done a bit more, you could pop them back in the oven for about 3-4 minutes at 325, if they are only slightly underdone. 5 minutes if they are closer to raw in the middle.

Best to bake them in an aluminum 9x13.

I always make my cookies with real butter rather than Crisco or margarine. Makes them a wee bit flatter, but I would rather have them flatter than eat margarine or Crisco.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
I'm sorry.  I read cookie not bars.

Yeah, what Deb says.  I use butter in my cookies too.  She's right, they are flatter but taste better.

Is your oven temp correct ?  It may not be calibrated right so you're under baking.