Author Topic: spiders in the bathtub  (Read 4363 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
spiders in the bathtub
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
I suppose I can wait until this afternoon, when someone comes out here, but in case someone here might know before then, question.

Can spiders get into a bathtub coming up through a bathtub drain?

Spiders have never bothered me any particular way, and so this is a question asked out of simple curiosity.

As most know, I live in an ancient house that is close to a semi-major river, meaning of course that there's always insects around.

No big deal; they're part of the environment, and one is used to them.  They present no threat to me, not even the brown recluses or black widows, because I long ago acquired an immunity to their venom (years and decades ago, like when I was a little kid).  They're what I'd call a minor nuisance in an unaesthetic way, nothing more.

Anyway.

As the nights here get (slightly) cooler, it oftentimes happens that in the morning, I find a spider--usually a large one--crawling along the bottom of the bathtub, trying to get up and out.  It's a simple matter to dispose of it, but I'm grateful I haven't had an overnight visitor here.

The bathtub is one of these ancient steep high-sided units.  I suppose it's possible a spider has been crawling along the ceiling or wall, and then slipped, falling into the bathtub, but all the years I've lived here, I've never seen a spider in the bathroom.....other than on the bottom of the bathtub, trying to climb out.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: spiders in the bathtub
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
I get spiders in the bathroom all the time.  I don't know about crawling through the pipes, though. I think they just get in through tiny cracks in the house that you're not aware of.  I just get the harmless daddy longlegs types, and as we respect life, we carry them outside on a newspaper.  (Not me, I'm arachnophobic, that's what husbands are for).   :-)   He'll pick them up by their bungee cord and toss them out the front door.  I could never do such a thing.   :panic:

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
My theory is that they are on you when you go into the bathroom, remove your clothes, etc.  They always seem to be scrabbling in the bottom of the tub because it's hard for them to find purchase once they're in the tub area.  They may migrate to that area because it's got water and it's the least used of the places in the bathroom?  I doubt they can climb through the pipes though because there's always water flushing them down.  Good question though. 

He's a lineman AND a pacifist!  I create multidimensional works of art.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
My theory is that they are on you when you go into the bathroom, remove your clothes, etc.  They always seem to be scrabbling in the bottom of the tub because it's hard for them to find purchase once they're in the tub area.  They may migrate to that area because it's got water and it's the least used of the places in the bathroom?  I doubt they can climb through the pipes though because there's always water flushing them down.  Good question though. 

No, they can't be on me.

The routine is, when I get up in the morning, I go to empty the bladder, and while standing there, look over at the bathtub to see a spider trying to climb out.  I shrug my shoulders, finish my business, and walk out.

And then about noon, I see the same spider.

And then about suppertime, well, it's still there.

And then about bedtime.....

Somewhere in between there I of course take a bath--daily--but the timing depends upon the rest of the schedule for the day, whether I'm going to be sweating like a pig or not.

When that time comes, whatever time it is, I take the glass off the bathroom sink, fill it with water, and then dump it on the spider.  The bathtub is angled ever so gently towards the drain, and so the spider inevitably floats down the drain.  Then I put in the bathtub plug and turn on the water.

The reason I asked this question is because I'm wondering if I kept the bathtub plug in all the time, it would prevent spiders from coming in that way.

Again, it's not that big of a deal for me, personally; I'm thinking more of the impression it might leave on a guest here using the bathroom.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
By the way, these are usually pretty big spiders--because of the trees and water nearby; spread out, about the circumference of a quarter-dollar.  If they'd been on me, I would've known it.

I suppose sooner or later, I should learn the varieties of spiders, but at the moment, that's not any matter of pressing urgency to me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
I get spiders in the bathroom all the time.  I don't know about crawling through the pipes, though. I think they just get in through tiny cracks in the house that you're not aware of.  I just get the harmless daddy longlegs types, and as we respect life, we carry them outside on a newspaper.  (Not me, I'm arachnophobic, that's what husbands are for).   :-)   He'll pick them up by their bungee cord and toss them out the front door.  I could never do such a thing.   :panic:

I get all sorts of things in this house, courtesy the cats.

Because I don't want my deafness to imperil the cats, I'm compelled to leave them free entry-and-exit, like in case there's a fire I don't hear, and so the cats can get out, saving themselves.

This means that when I bring someone over, I have to first rush into the house and inspect things before the guest gets out of the car, in case the cats have left something awkward, so that I can remove it before the guest comes inside.

One time, one of the cats brought in a rabbit, and eviscerated it in the bathroom.  It was a small rabbit, maybe circa 8-10" long, but man, it had guts that would've stretched ten miles, it seemed.

It was a quick clean-up job; one is used to such things.

Another time, I walked inside and almost stepped on some sort of brown snake, maybe about 5' long (but not very thick).  I dunno what kind of snake it was; rattlesnakes are the only poisonous snakes known in Nebraska, but it wasn't one of them, because I live somewhat east of their terrain.  I picked it up by its tail and flung it out the back door.

You know, around here, I have this odd reputation of being a "city boy," because I spent 20 years of my adult life in cities--Lincoln, Omaha, Allentown, and the Newark metropolitan area--but really, I think I proved a long time ago that I'm enured to the country.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SherryBaby

• Bully for me, I'm a
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
That's funny!  My cats are strictly indoors (they won't even go out if I let them - bring a whole new meaning to the term "***** cat"), and they actually take care of whatever gets in, vice bringing stuff in.  I'll find dead mice very occasionally, but they eat the bugs...yay for me!   :hyper:

He's a lineman AND a pacifist!  I create multidimensional works of art.

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
Another time, I walked inside and almost stepped on some sort of brown snake, maybe about 5' long (but not very thick).  I dunno what kind of snake it was. I picked it up by its tail and flung it out the back door.
corn snake. great mouse population control.

im not very compassionate, i would have killed the spiders instead of relocating them outside.  :tongue:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
Can spiders get into a bathtub coming up through a bathtub drain?

Nope, they should not be able to. There's a water trap in the drain pipe to keep gasses from the sewer system from getting into the house. At least I hope there is.......

Oh, if any of them say "help me" your'e in trouble.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:55:09 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
Spray bug spray around the foundation of the house. You can get it at any hardware/HomeDepot/Lowe's. Helps keep spiders and ants out, particularly when the cold weather comes.

I HATE BUGS.

My sweet M sprays around the house a couple of times from spring to winter.

It's easier than hearing me scream and bitch about the bugs.  O-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.