Author Topic: Processor Question  (Read 2080 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Processor Question
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
Could one of you experts provide me with a brief (in layman's terms) description of the difference (and benefits) between the Intel i3, i4, i5, and i7 processors, along with what is meant by "second generation".

I'd also appreciate what are the AMD equivalents of each of the Intel units (roughly).

Thanks........

doc

"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Processor Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
They are multi-core processors. The Intel ones rang from dual core to four core w/ varying levels of onboard upper level memory. AMD has the dual core, three core, quad core & six core processors. Dollar for dollar, I'll go with AMD. However, if you're looking at a laptop, Intel might be a better choice. For your use, anything above four cores is wasted and even four cores are overkill for you.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
They are multi-core processors. The Intel ones rang from dual core to four core w/ varying levels of onboard upper level memory. AMD has the dual core, three core, quad core & six core processors. Dollar for dollar, I'll go with AMD. However, if you're looking at a laptop, Intel might be a better choice. For your use, anything above four cores is wasted and even four cores are overkill for you.

What is gained by more cores?  Simply more speed?

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
What is gained by more cores?  Simply more speed?
more speed with multitasking capabilities.

my laptop (2yrs old?) has a i7 and strong video card. it smokes my old desktop i built 4 years ago with top of the line ingredients.