Author Topic: The $100,000 Parking Space  (Read 1667 times)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
The $100,000 Parking Space
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
Insanity. The whole thing reminds me of the title of a Ted Nugent album, "Intensities In Ten Cities".
Years ago I knew a kid who had moved up here to rural Western New York from Gotham. He would marvel wide eyed at such sights as a dairy cow, of course one must realize that up until that time his exposure to wildlife consisted of pigeons and rats. He was 20 and had never driven a car. One day he asked me If I could pick him up and take him to his road test. I knew he had gotten his permit and was taking driving lessons and finally the big day came around.
Well I got to his place to pick him up and that's when the kid asks me if it's o.k. if I bring his parents along too because their road tests were also that day. These folks were in their 50's and like their son had never in their lifetimes (the entirety of which had been in NYC) ever once driven a car!
Now I think I know why.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/113428/parking-costs-premium-wsj

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: The $100,000 Parking Space
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
I met a 23-year-old kid from New York when I was at NCSU.  He didn't have a driver's license but bought a car anyway, a 1989 Hyundai Excel.  The guy was a terrible driver.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: The $100,000 Parking Space
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »
PARKING SPOTS in NYC go for $600-1000/month.  More if you have a "large" car such as an SUV.  Oh, and 18 percent tax, IIRC.  

Last time I was down there, overnight parking for the hotel was $45 a night.

There were stories from a few years ago of spots that were going for $225K, and there was a waiting list.  When I was stationed in Hawaii back in the late 80's, one of the Chiefs lived in a condo where an extra spot would cost you an extra $30K, and I was floored by that then.

Idiots.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford