Author Topic: After realizing my severe faux pas...  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
After realizing my severe faux pas...
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
I have decided, late is better than never.

To clarify, I never took the time to introduce myself and present a "this is me post". Partly because i have frequented numerous forums/message boards, all non-political until now, over the years and never really did this in the past. But more recently, i find myself more actively "leaving comments" at "news" sites, which i do understand is inherently different than being a member of web forums, and i believe that lead me to lose the "member/community" qualities of a forum.

Now who is ?

Im 32 yrs old, Male, Human. I live in Minnesota, USA. Married for 6 years with a 7mo. old son. I work at a Grain processing plant. (soybeans). I am a Union member (BCTGM), but stand against a majority of what that means in today's culture. There is nothing worse than going to the monthly union meeting and being told how to vote, especially who not to support. To quote my Local's president "we need to stand up against the TeaParty, they're racists".  Ugghhh. :thatsright:

Hobbies: camping, fishing, hunting deer, shooting in general, traveling (mainly enjoying natures beauty).
Entertainment
TV: Deadliest catch, Axmen, Sons of Anarchy and more.
Music: Rock (the harder or older the better) some country, some of today's "Pop".
Reading: see below.
Beverage of choice: Bud Light (can)

Politically, I am farther right than most people i know. I am strongly opinionated, but openly discuss it with who ever will listen. This is a new concept for me though. Only for the last 5 years have i paid attention whats really going on in the world. For the most part, strongly conservative explains my stance on most issues involving government, not so with the social ones. Where i tend to stand with the libertarians. In a way im a constitutionalist. Limited govt, when its necessary, and after that im all about free choice. Because of this, i can not figure out how someone can reasonably think anything other than capitalism is the best economic policy. Ive been watching Fox news since 9/11. Following beck's show really opened my eyes to the media's role to persuade people's opinions. I took to heart that we should study up on the topics of the day and make our own opinion based on the facts.  Recently ive been reading some political books. Started with some of Beck's stuff, "Broke" was a doosy. Then i read Milton Friedman  "free to choose". i then read some ron paul, his son Rand's book and mark levin and others. i agree with most of what i read but still disagree with some of it too.

With more internet options, i find my self getting addicted to absorbing all the Current Events discussions gong on. And then reading everyone's "comments" is icing on the cake. This is what ultimately led me here. One day, looking for more than a news site/w comments section, i googled "conservative forum" and got this place. ive mainly just been reading the topics that catch my eye. Thats how i realized that this community really takes to heart a decent introduction. I apologize for being late with mine.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: After realizing my severe faux pas...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
Welcome Rugnuts!  Better late than never.   :cheersmate:

It sounds like you and I are a lot alike on the political fence. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
Welcome, RN!

You actually drink beer out of a can? Seriously?   :-)

With that out of the way, good to have you on board.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:20:33 PM »
Welcome!  :cheersmate:
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
Welcome!!!

Gina will be around to give you 3 lashes for failure to introduce yourself sooner. Be sure to not make any noise while she strikes or she will think you like it and continue......

If asked by dutch, you DO like peach cobbler....if you don't, for God's sake, don't mention it.

For the sake of us all...do not show favoritism to rabbits or ptarmigans.

And lastly...Vesta is really a sweet lady, just don't ask her how to spell anything.

:-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:52:50 AM »
Welcome Rugnuts, glad you found us!

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
<spell check="1">
thanks for the welcomes

I'll take Gina's lashings that i deserve and i do like peach cobbler, tastes great after rabbit stew.

</spell check>

Offline RonBush

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Welcome Rugnuts.  I've only been here a few days myself.

I also read Milton Friedman's  "Free to Choose".  That was when it was first published, in about 1980.  It had a major impact on me.  There was also a PBS series on the book, with Friedman explaining everything in his calm, friendly professor's voice, making it all so simple and obvious.  You can probably still get that from Netflix, or maybe watch it online somewhere.