Author Topic: How secure would a Storage Locker be?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

How secure would a Storage Locker be?
« on: August 22, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
I'm been thinking of stocking up for a while now, and I've been putting it off.
One factor is I live in an apartment...I'm not married, so when I go to work there is no one there.
If people are hungry, my manager could easily access my place. That and I have a glass wall.

With that in mind, how secure would a storage locker be? Would it be a safer place to store a few bulk items?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: How secure would a Storage Locker be?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
I guess it depends on what you consider 'secure'.

I don't think storage lockers are very secure.  Most I've seen are concrete block/rebar construction with a sheetmetal door.  My angle grinder and bolt cutters would cut through that in about five minutes.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
True but people don't tend to store food in them either. Compared to my apartment?
Apart from digging a hole, I don't know where else to store food or ammo.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
Gun Safe?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
I guess that goes back to my question, how secure do you need it?  Post-apocalypse mobs of starved maniacs with guns?  Not secure.  Natural disaster with little to no violent crime afterward?  Probably good enough.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
Thing is, an apartment setting would be a temporary solution at best.  No way to get power, and without that, no fresh water, etc.

A storage locker would leave you in the same boat.  No power = no water = no sanitation system = disease and dead.

If I were living in an urban area or in an apartment, have just enough supplies for a couple of days for wherever you're going to strike out for.  MRE's are not bulky, and pretty good as far as calories go.  I have a couple of cases of them, and keep a couple in the car in case I get stuck in the winter.

The whole issue with living in an urban or even suburban area is having someplace to go when TSHTF, assuming you can make it out or hold out long enough before you HAVE to make a break for it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
I'm in Iowa. Des Moines is a city about 500K population. This is a farming state. State-wise this sounds like a good place. If I have to bug out, I'm headed for Texas. My apartment is in an upscale area by the city limits.
--and nowhere near downtown.

Please understand, I am a total newbie when it comes to preparedness. But with power plants shutting down, food and gas on the rise...I'm beginning to take things seriously. Disasters demand a basic stock for anyone...and I don't even have that.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:38:55 PM »
A storage locker would be acceptable as a storage pickup point if it's on the outskirts of town and on or very close to your route of egress, and in a place as removed from residential areas as possible.

They're not generally very "secure" so it's something that you want to be able to visit , load up and keep rolling outta town. If you plan to travel between your place of residence and a storage locker frequently it's a recipe for disaster.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
So much depends on the scope of emergency you are planning for. 

If it's the collapse of civilization kind of thing (Power grid gone and not to be restored, breakdown of the monetary and food distribution systems) then an apartment or even the 'burbs would more or less be a deathtrap (Of course, you could personally safeguard anything in it, since you wouldn't be going to work yourself with no gas and no functioning economy, but that would mean you'd better have about three years worth of MREs in there with you, a nearby water source, and the will and ability to forcefully defend your stuff.

If it's a voluntary evacuation situation and civil order hasn't broken down, and so probably temporary, and you'd have the time, mobility, and freedom of movement to retrieve your gear, a storage area would work fine, not so good if the authorities go into a mandatory evacuation or lockdown approach though.

These are the two ends of a spectrum, but as you can see, only under the sunniest scenarios would it work to have stuff you would really need be more than walking distance from your living space.

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.