Author Topic: Appetizers  (Read 15990 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Appetizers
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
I enjoy finger food, cheeses, crackers, spicy meats, smoked salmon. But, when I have friends over they always request this one.

Sausage and Mushrooms:

As many med sized white mushrooma as you and friends will need.
   Ground Sausage ( I have used Italian and breakfast style, both work great!)

Cut the stalks out of the mushrooms so you form a cup on the bottom side of the mushroom cap (save the stems to mix in with your scrambled eggs in the morning)
   Pack the mushroom full of sausage.
   Broil till browned

Serve while hot!

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Appetizers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
My wife made this one a few weeks ago, easy and there are never any leftovers!

Package of beef smokies
  1 lb bacon
  I cup brown sugar

Take a cookie sheet, cover with foil.
  cut bacon into 2" strips
  wrap smokies with bacon
  place on cookie sheet
  cover with brown sugar

Bake at 350 for 30 min, check. Cook longer if required.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:57 AM »
I enjoy finger food, cheeses, crackers, spicy meats, smoked salmon. But, when I have friends over they always request this one.

Sausage and Mushrooms:

As many med sized white mushrooma as you and friends will need.
   Ground Sausage ( I have used Italian and breakfast style, both work great!)

Cut the stalks out of the mushrooms so you form a cup on the bottom side of the mushroom cap (save the stems to mix in with your scrambled eggs in the morning)
   Pack the mushroom full of sausage.
   Broil till browned

Serve while hot!

Used to eat these at a friend's house. They weren't too bad. I'd add in some cheese, just for that extra flavor.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:32 AM »
I do something similar except I fill the mushrooms with a mixture of prosciutto, minced lamb, feta cheese, mixed herbs, mushroom stalks finely chopped and finely chopped onion.

Topped with a little bit of grated parmesan cheese and roasted until well browned.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »

I don't know if this counts as an appetizer or a dessert, but it looks pretty interesting.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
Antipasto platters.  Pepperoni, summer sausage slices, peppercorn pate, different cheeses - I prefer white cheeses rather than yellow: provolone, buffalo mozzarella, brie, olives - Greek, garlic marinated, blue cheese/onion/jalapeno stuffed, marinated mushrooms & artichokes, different kinds of pickles - mini gherkins, spicy dills, homemade refrigerator pickles/onions, little containers of spicy mustard, ranch or bluecheese dressing. Different kinds of gourmet crackers(kind of depends on what I've found at various places - Big Lots is a great source - and stashed in the pantry) and/or thin slices of diagonal sliced french bread.

I keep most of this stuff in the fridge and pantry most of the time, and will fix a plate of stuff for us to munch on before fixing dinner, or make it larger and it is dinner.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
Used to eat these at a friend's house. They weren't too bad. I'd add in some cheese, just for that extra flavor.

I think you'd be better off with a 50/50 mix of bread crumbs and parmesan on top.  I don't get to eat stuffed mushrooms very often.  Nobody around here likes them.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
I think you'd be better off with a 50/50 mix of bread crumbs and parmesan on top.  I don't get to eat stuffed mushrooms very often.  Nobody around here likes them.

That's sort of the way I make sausage stuffed ones. I use Italian sausage and add Italian bread crumbs, then top with the parmesean.

You can take Stouffer's creamed spinach, thaw it, add some Italian bread crumbs, bit of onion and garlic, the chopped stems. If the mix is still a bit "juicy", I add parmesean, otherwise I just sprinkle it on top. You can partial bake and freeze them. 
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Antipasto platters.  Pepperoni, summer sausage slices, peppercorn pate, different cheeses - I prefer white cheeses rather than yellow: provolone, buffalo mozzarella, brie, olives - Greek, garlic marinated, blue cheese/onion/jalapeno stuffed, marinated mushrooms & artichokes, different kinds of pickles - mini gherkins, spicy dills, homemade refrigerator pickles/onions, little containers of spicy mustard, ranch or bluecheese dressing. Different kinds of gourmet crackers(kind of depends on what I've found at various places - Big Lots is a great source - and stashed in the pantry) and/or thin slices of diagonal sliced french bread.

I keep most of this stuff in the fridge and pantry most of the time, and will fix a plate of stuff for us to munch on before fixing dinner, or make it larger and it is dinner.

There was a restaurant in San Diego called, "Little Italy". They had the BEST antipasto platter. Their regular Italian fares were also very tasty. I sure miss San Diego, sometimes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
I sure miss San Diego, sometimes.

Not the traffic and the locals around 32nd Street, but yeah, sometimes.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Those are all good ideas for stuffed mushrooms, except for Sparky's.  Isn't bread crumbs and parmesan cheese a little boring to go with an already bland mushroom?  Live a little.   :tongue:

debk mentioned refrigerator pickles up there.  Anybody have a good recipe for those? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
debk mentioned refrigerator pickles up there.  Anybody have a good recipe for those? 
Battered and fried.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
Those are all good ideas for stuffed mushrooms, except for Sparky's.  Isn't bread crumbs and parmesan cheese a little boring to go with an already bland mushroom?  Live a little.   :tongue:

This is a very old family recipe and I don't usually give them out. It's a pretty common recipe though for refrigerator pickles.

Ice Box Pickles

6 c. thin sliced cucumbers
1 c. thin sliced onions
1 c. thin sliced green peppers

Dump the above into a bowl and sprinkle with 1tbsp. salt. Let sit in refrigerator for 2 hours.

Mix in saucepan:

1c. vinegar
2c. sugar
1/2 tsp celery seed

Cook over low heat just until sugar is completely dissolved. Stirring frequently.

Drain the cuke/onion/gp mix and pack into clean jars. Pour the sugar syrup over them - make sure they are completely covered. Put the lids on right away.

Will keep in refrigerator at least 3 months.

------------------

My tips:

I use a mandolin for slicing, it's easier than a food processor.
I use regular cucumbers rather than pickling ones, as the regular ones if not too big, have more taste to them. I "score" the skins just a bit with a fork, in case it's kind of thick, rather than peel the cucumbers.
I use less green pepper and more onion (Vidalia, Maui Sweets, or some other type of sweet onion)
I use Kosher salt and don't measure, just liberally sprinkle it all over, tasting as I go. Too little leaves them sort of flat tasting, too much is gross. And I toss them up a bit a couple of times in the 2 hrs.
I prefer basic white vinegar, but have thought about using a mix of cider/white or garlic red wine/white. I would not recommend using balsamic, much as I love it, because it will discolor the vegetables to a nasty brown color.
Don't boil the vinegar/sugar mix, just heat enough to make sure the sugar is all dissolved. Pouring hot - even warm - sugar mix onto the cucumbers kind of cooks them (I learned the hard way) and will make them lose all color.  
I save those heavy spaghetti sauce jars (the ones that looks like Mason jars) and rewash them ( lids, too) in the dishwasher right before using.

This recipe only fills about 3 of the spaghetti jars, I usually do about a dozen cucumbers at a time.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
some great ideas here! Thanks!

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »
Thanks, debk!  I'll give that a whirl on my second batch.  A neighbor gave me six small cukes from the farmer's market, so I tried them with this from online.

1/3 cup white vinegar
2 cups cold water
1 TBL salt
1TBL sugar
Thin sliced onion
garlic
Whatever flavoring floats your boat

I sliced mine lengthwise, I prefer them that way.  Combine the whole lot in a ziploc bag, and placed bag in a plastic container.  Let sit for 3 days. 

For flavoring, I used McCormick's pickling spice.  I tried one today, and noticed a certain subtle flavor.  I read the label, and cinnamon was listed.  I like cinnamon ONLY with apples.  So I think next time I would use just mustard seed and black peppercorn, maybe some dill.  They were pretty good, nice and crunchy. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
If anybody has tried the coconut shrimp at Outback, Bamama Breeze, Red Lobster, or a dozen other places, here is the recipe.  This is close to the one BB uses.  I think they have some recipes on their website, but this is what I remember from working there.

22-30 count shrimp, deveined and butterflied
Toasted coconut
Panko bread crumbs
Sweetened condensed milk
Beaten eggs
Half and Half

Toast the shredded coconut and mix it with an equal amount of Panko  bread crumbs. 
Stir together the Half-and-Half, milk, and beaten eggs. 
De-vein and butterfly the shrimp and lay it out flat. 
Hold the shrimp by the tail and dredge the meat in the milk/egg mix. 
Lay the shrimp in the bread crumb and coconut mix, pressing down on the shrimp with your palm to coat and flatten the shrimp.

Fry and serve.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
It's that time of year!

Fried Zuccini:

Bath: eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

Batter: Bread crumbs, grated parmesan, spices to liking ( I use garlic powder, chili powder..  ect)

Peal then slice zuccni in to 1/8" rounds

Heat EVOO in fry pan, med heat

Give zuccini slices a bath then a dip in the dry batter

Fry in oil till a med brown on both sides.

Serve while hot!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
forgot the option:
 fo
  For less fat.

Dont fry, bake!!

On a cookie rack above a cookie pan, bake the breaded slices at 350 for 20 min...  add or subtract time as needed

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:32 AM »
Olive oil is a healthy fat. I wouldn't think twice about using it for frying except it has a lower smoke point than many other oils. I buy the stuff by the ½ gallon.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
So easy even a caveman can do it:

Thin sliced deli ham and prunes (no pits).

Roll up a prune in a slice of ham, bake at 350 on a cookie sheet for a few min till they sizzle.

Dry Salami (large, thin sliced), smoked salmon (thin sliced) and Philly cheese:

Roll salmon and a glop of cheese in a slice of salami.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
There was a restaurant in San Diego called, "Little Italy". They had the BEST antipasto platter. Their regular Italian fares were also very tasty. I sure miss San Diego, sometimes.

Was Mickey Finn's still there when you were in San Diego? Beer, peanuts and peanut shells on the floor, Dixieland jazz, banjos, a great place!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town